Adventures of Team Iceman

iceman

20 hours ago, Trailblazer said:

Ice

Those 15 miles or so south side of the sawmill are as you say real sweet but if you're riding south bound take care cuz at the end of that little run is a hard left, easy to miss cuz the road keeps going and if you're looking ahead and reading tree lines you are gonna get fooled.

Watch you don't get stuck on the top or tip over on the other side of those snow banks.

Keep roll'n guys, love the story telling.

Right On JG. Wish you were here. 

Day 3  Wednesday 

Well rested and ready. We hit the trail at 8:30. We are headed back on 93 toward Chibougamau. 93 is just awesome here. Frozen nicely and super fast and smooth. Not far from Chapais we encounter a big group headed west at least 8 sleds. We wait at the road as they come up the road over the bridge, no room for two sleds in traffic on the road. We roll over to where the first Local trail goes to Chibougamau. We are definitely always looking for the road less traveled and have passed by this trail too many times to count. Today is the day. We turn left and it's perfect. We cruise on. It's a nice trail not asbig as 93 but i like the twisty stuff. Anyone can go fast straight. We run this trail 35km from 93 it brings us in right across the street from the Sonic station right before Nordic. We top the gas as we know what is next. Down the Local trail and up across the road in town. Hotel Chibougamau will not see us this trip. We head up and out back into the woods and onto the Local trail there. We head up and find just what we expected. A freshly groomed trail with no tracks (the I-Motoneige app don't lie) Mistassini here we come. Now this trail starts out all innocent and if you did not know any better you would be thinking "man this is gonna be a long 100km" oh contraire, after the first 15km it opens up. BIGTIME. It's like the Railbed part of 93 but has elevation changes and much more sweeping turns. We ran 100km in just 1hr and 6 minutes. We arrive in town and go get some gas. We turn and burn. The way back we do it in 1hr. Back into Chibougamau oh how we hated to leave our private trail. Only our tracks up and back. Sweet. Back out to 93 and we hit the Petro Canada to top it off. 93 South direction Sciere 54. We have seen no sleds since the group headed west this am. We fly low down to Barriere du Nord. The trail is in great shape. We push on about 20 miles from mill, groomer is headed back north. We pass him and trail is perfect for 3 miles, then its destroyed. WTF? I'm seeing tons of ski marks so this is a big group. One or two seem to stop and just randomly hammer the gas leaving giant berms in the trail. I know they are not too far ahead. We hammer down to mill. We find the culprits. A tour group getting gas. 7 Strong. This is gona hurt our moving average waiting for these guys. No choice we need some gas. We wait our turn and the gang heads into the Cafeteria. Thank you little baby Jesus. We head on out. Uneventful beautiful run back to La Dore. Gas up and down to 373 and into St Felicien at Du Jardin at 5:15. 

Great Day. 

342 miles or 551 Kilometers take your pick

DSC04824.JPG

DSC04820.JPGDSC04821.JPGDSC04822.JPGDSC04817.JPGDSC04818.JPGDSC04819.JPGDSC04816.JPG

Day 4 Thursday 

Breakfast this AM with Grumpysanta and his riding partner. Trailblazer gave me the heads up to look for him there. Nice to talk and put a face to the name. Had a nice time. We could have talked for hours but we had trails calling our names. 

Today was a day to just really do whatever we wanted. We had no big ground to cover and decided we would take it as it comes. 

Out of Hotel Du Jardin and its noticeably colder today. Up 373 and its just as nice as could be. To Relais Buttes and then Local trail 715 then 701 to 901 and over to 93 in Dolbeau. All super no complaints. Zero. Good to go. Then 93 to the 367 to Peribonka. Wicked nice. Joined back on 93 then all the way over to St. Ambroise. Again not a complaint trails are frozen and flat and fast. Ran that to 367 then up to 328 to Begin up into Relais Mont Vilain. Decided to take some heat and a rare lunch stop. We arrive just after 1pm. Here is where all the sleds are. We have seen maybe 6 so far all day but here the crowd is just suiting up to leave it seems all at once. Excellent, see ya. Had Lunch. Suited back up for the return to Dolbeau. 

Left Vilain up the Reservoir our first choice was 902 orange this was the only negative found in this entire region so far. We gave it a few miles, both of us thinking the same thing. Life is too short to ride crap like this. We spin around. back to reservoir. And back to 367 this is how it is supposed to be. 367 on map but shows as a local trail back to 93 in St Monique. Gas in St Monique. Re supply of "Jack" and we are off this time its 93 all the way back to Dolbeau. Utterly fantastic and passed the groomer grooming a perfect trail. Love that. Into Auberge Dilligence at 4:15pm. After a quick run up tge street to the gas. 

Camera battery not co-operating today had to charge it. Just picture some of the best trail you ever seen. That is what is up here. 

218 leisurely miles.

DSC04825.JPG

Edited by iceman

I'm beginning to like those max speeds, more like Yamaha speed.

You boys are starting to loosen up a little now that you're deeper into the trip.

Gonna have to tighten that track when you get back.

1 minute ago, Trailblazer said:

I'm beginning to like those max speeds, more like Yamaha speed.

You boys are starting to loosen up a little now that you're deeper into the trip.

Gonna have to tighten that track when you get back.

We got no where to go and all day to get there. Easy. 

10 hours ago, markusvt said:

Nice trip!  I am with you, no joy in Chapais down the west side..........

I have read this on Ice Man's post to. I haven't been to chapais in about 9 years but am planning to do a backpack trip up and around clova to chibugama to LSJ next week. What am I missing about the trail on the west side of Chapais? Appreciate and info

4 minutes ago, Backcountry12 said:

I have read this on Ice Man's post to. I haven't been to chapais in about 9 years but am planning to do a backpack trip up and around clova to chibugama to LSJ next week. What am I missing about the trail on the west side of Chapais? Appreciate and info

Boring. we are speaking of the Railbed section of 93 west of Chapais. A necessary evil if you must. "so easy a caveman can do it" go straight. And when it's cold and you just hammer all out for 2 hours. No not my preferred trail. 

32 minutes ago, Backcountry12 said:

It's not the end of the world, raised rail bed with bridges, gets you to the West side in a hurry.

10 hours ago, Phil 1 said:

It's not the end of the world, raised rail bed with bridges, gets you to the West side in a hurry.

Ever been when it was -40? Sure is like the End of the World on days like that. 

Friday Day 5

Definately winter judging by the temperature. Wicked cold this AM. Left Auberge Dilligence and headed up 93 Direction Girardville. Just a dream besides the cold. But it's because of cold like this that these trails stay like white aspalt. Icey Likey. Bring it. We hammer up 93 and turn left "down the middle" onto 815 another one of our "go to" trails. She is a goer. Love it! I'll tell you right now if you are waiting for pictures give up now cause no way I was taking my hands out my gloves today for puctures, sorry gang. 

We run down to where it joins 373. We spin around and roll back up the same way we came. It's a whole new trail this way. Halfway up I'm having issues. My shield is icing up. Not good. I stop I mess with it, i go, i stop i mess with it I go. It's gonna be a problem. Return to 93 and into Lac Jim. Take "5". Thaw helmet grab some heat. We leave and its better but mostly cause i am riding with it cracked open. Not terrible it is a bit warmer but not much then this AM. Down a fresh groomed 93 not a mark on it. It is White Asphalt. That's why we come here. 93 is awesome we go to the right turn Local 716 well well,  it's like they knew we was coming. Groomed new no tracks. We cruise up another of our favorites and into Restaurant Chef for a gas stop. A gang comes in from the other way. We gas and go, out the back and back on a still beautiful trail wicked fast. We arrive at 93 and again it's spectacular all the way to La Dore where we leave 93 for Local 712 we run it up and back to 373. Another awesome trail. However the shield .... I have had enough. Back on 373 and we go toward St Prime. Here 373 is showing some use. Bumped up in the corners and getting ripples. Down to Local trail 715 to get to Extreme Powersports in St. Prime. I am certain a new shield is a long shot. I get a tester from them just to verify that the power is good. No problems with wire or jack. Shield is done. They have a few older HJC helmet shields but not one for me. Oh well. I check out hus clearance shelf. Bingo! Find a whole new helmet with electric shield and has the other shield that flips down for sun. Sweet. And only $120 hook me up, Ice needs to see where he is going. I get my new buddy Steve to box up my other Helmet as it has all my Radio Coms in it. And mail it to My Yamaha Dealer in Cap de Madeline. $12 bucks for this, such a deal. 

Off like a prom dress and back to 373 toward Roberval. We go left on 711 local and its much nicer then 373. Up this and we Join back onto 83. It's groomed nice and it's tempting to head down a bit just because but it's getting to be flat light and temps dropping. We run 83 to 373. Up 373 and we try the Local and get to Motel Roberval(with St Hubert) we wanted to get to the Lake and try to run the Local to Chalet Spa Chambord and loop back to Roberval. But I guess that trail is no more. 

So back to 373 and we deal with it all the way back to St Prime just because. We turn around run back and into Hotel Chateau Roberval. Before dark, another play day for us. 

210 miles or 338 km

tomorrow we make for Chez Iceman. 373 to 83 to 355 to 360 and 23 then into Shawinigan and the run home on TQ3. 

Until next time

DSC04826.JPG

5 hours ago, iceman said:

Ever been when it was -40? Sure is like the End of the World on days like that. 

Yeah in 2007. Middle of Feb, -40, short windshield and no gauntlets on an 06 Rev. 50 mph right down that rail bed.  My hands where cooking on the inside and froze on the outside. To this day I don't know how I survived that run. Tall windshield and gauntlets, don't leave home without them. 

Some may feel that's the greatest trail on earth.  I remember in my early twenties being fascinated with that section.   the fact you can go Wide open for so long (minutes) and still ride safely was just something special.  The bed is elevated and so straight u can see the curvature of the earth on the horizon.

Large wild life, like the kind if u hit will kill u, and on coming traffic are removed from the equation.  The "Throw em the Bird" type I don't mind unless they have been shivering for quite some time.

Another reason to have a high Windshield.....Those were the days I was concerned my sled looked cool and have since grown up.

Saturday Day 6

Up super early for us and on the sleds pulled out of Roberval 7:30am. It's Saturday and we got to be moving on. Down 373 just as it was yesrerday no grooming here last night, but it's not shabby. To 83 and its a bit nicer. We run down to 355 and well well, fresh groom white asphalt. We make tracks on down on a perfect trail to Lac Bouchette. Gas topped off and we go.

Hey Now! Lookey here! This grooming goes on. Down 355 (i did not look at Grooming this AM) this fine operator layed us down a ribbon of white Asphalt all the way to Lac Edouard. I must say this trail has sure grown up in the last two weeks. Branches ripped back nice and she's bigger and wider. Very nice. We passed to 2 ups heading to their camps with their toboggans. Then saw no one until about 30km from Lac Edouard. On down and no 355 for us we continue straight to Co-op and gas there. Back over tracks and onto Lake. Here we run south for the far side. Closer to south end here comes a gang of sleds up. They are on my side of sticks. Well i aint moving or slowing down. I move right close to the sticks and head straight at them. Someone gonna learn a lesson here. Sure if no traffic use whatever but when there is oncoming sleds get the hell on your side. It was just as smooth over there. I was over there till i seen them way down. Then I moved over. It don't take a PHD to figure this out. so i think. 

They are still coming and on my side. I hold my line. About 100 yards apart I guess the first guys realizes i aint giving it up. He goes right into the deeper stuff between two lanes up and down. Super but his buddies are in his snow dust riding nuts to buts. Well hello there stupid. Scared the hell out of them and they followed their genius leader over to the right. There was that so hard. Tough sh*t get over. Down just near the end of lake here comes another 3 same thing. WTF, i know it's Saturday but are we sitting on our brains today too? Oh well school is back in session. Same action same result. Head right for them they get the point quick. Trust me. 

Down 355 to 73. Here i see 73 is open again. Logging there must be finished. Detour signs down and trail groomed straight thru. Traffic has been fairly light. Trails are softer south of Lac Edouard not the frozen tundra trail of the north. Good trail just different. 

Left turn on LT2 and back to 355 we see 2-4 more headed north. Surprisingly trails are very nice but it's early still not even noon. Down to 360 and into St Joseph. No stop here we roll. Coming down 360 I come around a left hand sweeper and Hello SQ. Police. Well hell is waving but i look down and i aint even doing over 70km. Well if he wants me come get me. I drive on. His partner is not far behind and gives a friendly wave. We light it up. They gonna need magic to catch us if they had any intention of it. Down to new section of 360 and here big new signs posted by club. Brand new right of passage is in danger of being lost. This trail cost the 25k to excavate, now its in danger of being closed. Did not say why. But we took it slow through there I've seen the guys there working on the plantation so we show some respect. Down to 23 and its still all good. Thru St Tite to Local M5? I think to Lac a Tortue. Gas at Petro Canada. Back and to TQ 3. Rough a bit through Shawi. They are tearing it up. Cruise on down TQ3 and into Chez Ice. At 1:30. 6 hrs. 

Done for now. 

1550 miles for this 6 days. 258 miles average per day. 

DSC04828.JPG