2/ 2017 UPA Trail closures

momojohnny

Well,  with regret, but it is what it is. Might as well start a thread to see what open and closed. Looks like TQ5 is closed in L'islet. https://www.facebook.com/Club-de-Motoneiges-LIslet-896636287092569/?hc_ref=PAGES_TIMELINE&fref=nf.  And, http://snowmobilecountry.ca/en/medias/item/400/access-to-farmlands-now-prohibited-along-recreational-trails.

Edited by momojohnny
+

I posted the following earlier today in "heard a rumour", but maybe it would be better here now that you have started this thread.

This morning Feb 1 from Diable et Rouge club Tremblant.

Basically it says,closure of the trails by the UPA as of Feb 1st the club has no information from the local section of the UPA and so the club considers the trails are still open. They are following the situation closely and if the UPA decides to close the trails the club will conform to the decision.

they hope in their heart that the differences between the farmers, the club and the government will be resolved to the satisfaction of all. 

FERMETURE DES SENTIERS PAR L'UPA ....
EN DATE DU 1 FEVRIER N AYANT AUCUNE INFORMATIONS DE LA SECTION LOCALE DE L'UPA LE CLUB CONSIDERE QUE LES SENTIERS SONT TOUJOURS OUVERTS ..... 

NOUS SUIVONS LA SITUATION DE TRES PRES ... SI L UPA DECIDE DE FERMER LES SENTIERS LE CLUB SE CONFORMERAS A LEURS DÉCISIONS .... 

Souhaitant de tout cœur que le diffèrent entre nos cultivateurs partenaires du club et le gvt se règle a la satisfaction de tous !!!! 

If it does come to trail closures, lets respect what the farmers do.  If we stick together and post what is closed, hopefully we can find enough trails on Provencial land, parks, power lines, logging roads, etc.  I'm sure the clubs will help as much as possible too.

Jack & Sandi

We have a trip starting Friday and will be watching where to go.Kinda sucks with the weather and conditions being so good.This will just consolidate the riders and make traffic and trails not so good.Hopefully the two sides kiss and make up! Soon!

Yes hard to plan or predict. I'm planning on running to Abitibi next week and don't know how many trails in the region may be affected?  I like the map that Mauricie region posted it helps in planning for sure.

Coming up tomorrow and the "wait and see" scenario does not bode well on a 5 day backpacking trip. The map that shows the trails closed along the St Lawrence is better than nothing? I've called a couple clubs and they say.. yeah so far the trails are open. 

1 hour ago, Catmandoo said:

Coming up tomorrow and the "wait and see" scenario does not bode well on a 5 day backpacking trip. The map that shows the trails closed along the St Lawrence is better than nothing? I've called a couple clubs and they say.. yeah so far the trails are open. 

It's the "so far" part that makes it difficult.Could go out and have a hard time getting back. 

Well I'm sitting at the bar in the Univesal in RDL. I just spoke to some guys from Vermont that came in from Metane. They were on TQ 5 and came across a man who told them they were the last ones through and then cut a tree down to block the trail. We were planning to head around the Gaspe point but maybe not now. I guess we will be the guinea pigs! 

I will post any information I can find out as we go. Stay tuned!

BTW coming from Montmagny to here via 551 to 55 to 526 to 85 then in to RDL was absolutely perfect!

16 minutes ago, wulsock1 said:

Well I'm sitting at the bar in the Univesal in RDL. I just spoke to some guys from Vermont that came in from Metane. They were on TQ 5 and came across a man who told them they were the last ones through and then cut a tree down to block the trail. We were planning to head around the Gaspe point but maybe not now. I guess we will be the guinea pigs! 

I will post any information I can find out as we go. Stay tuned!

BTW coming from Montmagny to here via 551 to 55 to 526 to 85 then in to RDL was absolutely perfect!

Nooooo! Crap , oh well had five days planned to leave that area on Sunday! Back to the drawing board .

10 minutes ago, wulsock1 said:

Iceman our racing season starts in two weeks! You could come and give us a hand!

I just might do just that. I would love to be on your pit crew. 

Found this ....

Trail closure: Lessard and Groleau talk to each other

01 February 2017
The conflict between the UPA and the government over property taxes could be short-lived.

"There has been a change of tone in the government since the arrival of Mr. Lessard. Obviously, I can not make public the state of the discussions, but no one in the government is in a position to challenge our numbers. We are no longer in the doldrums, because with the tax accounts that go back to producers, the impact of the reform, we realize, is real, "says UPA President Marcel Groleau. He mentioned that he met with the Minister of Agriculture, Laurent Lessard, last Friday and that since then, telephone exchanges between them are frequent.

The conflict between the two parties could thus be resolved positively by February 6, before snowmobile trails are banned from passing by farmers. The fact that the government no longer questioned the estimate of tax increases and especially the change in tone, make Groleau rather optimistic, "especially as our demands are very reasonable," he said.

Minister Lessard's press officer Mathieu Gaudreault says he wants to "untangle the crisis". In a telephone interview, he confirmed that the minister had discussions since last Friday with the UPA. Mathieu Gaudreault pointed out that the Minister, who wanted to find a solution that would suit all stakeholders, wanted to mark a "change of tone".

Pressure rises

Many farmers are startling these days by receiving their property tax account. "The amounts I have to pay for taxes on my lands located in La Présentation and Saint-Hyacinthe have gone from $ 4,000 to $ 6,000. People can treat farmers of all names, but it starts to make money, "plague producer Jocelyn Michon.

At the presentation of the presentation, the reduction of the tax refund by the Ministry of Agriculture made it necessary for Mr. Michon to pay $ 1,089 more in 2017 than in 2016.

In response to these increases, producers in Estrie and Chaudière-Appalaches blocked the ATV and snowmobile trails on their properties this morning. The UPA mentions that 92 farmers across Quebec will do the same on February 6 if nothing is done.

The Federation of UPA-Estrie will hold a press conference on February 2 to explain to the public why farmers will withdraw the right of access to their land.

In Chaudière-Appalaches, ATV and snowmobile clubs support farmers by circulating a petition created jointly with the regional federation asking the government to resolve the situation.

And this....

Saguenay and Lac St Jean will not close trails they will show support by creating "slow down zones?.??" Starting feb 4 

He will block the trails from Wednesday

30 January 2017
Jonathan Blais will not wait until February 6, the date chosen by the Union des producteurs agricoles (UPA) to start blocking snowmobile trails on his land.

From 1 February in the morning, gates and easels will prevent the snowmobilers from passing. "I do not want the UPA to bend its knees with the arrival of Minister Lessard. So I take the initiative myself to block my paths. I want to send a clear message that the lies of the Couillard government are enough, "launches the maple producer at La Patrie near Mount Mégantic.

He himself is a member of the snowmobile club in his region and assures that he has warned snowmobilers of his decision, not by gayety.

"The Liberals say that farmers do not know how to count, but they do not know how to count on the millions of dollars they are going to lose to the tourism industry," adds the one who owns a 20,000-tonne maple grove .

Marcel Groleau knows that other producers will not wait until February 6 to withdraw the right of passage that they had granted to snowmobilers. He assured us, however, that the arrival of Minister Lessard would not make him withdraw. "Those who know me know that I do not usually bend your knees," said the President of the UPA.

February 4th at the Lake

Jonathan Blais said he was disappointed by his fellow producers in Saguenay-Lac-Saint-Jean who did not plan to block the trails. Their refusal can be explained on the one hand by their desire not to harm the tourist industry and on the other hand because some farmers in the region have signed agreements providing for financial compensation for the passage of snowmobiles on their lands . Lise Tremblay, director of union life for the Saguenay-Lac-Saint-Jean UPA Federation, said that farmers in the region would create six slowdown zones on snowmobile trails on February 4, Sensitize snowmobilers to their cause.

Info from within Quebec as of today indicate that the following regions (or parts of) are NOT likely to have any (or minimal) closures and so should be a safe bet for continued snowmobiling this winter…

> Saguenay Lac-St-Jean / Monts Valin
http://www.snowmobilersparadise.com/

Please note that on February 1st, we can confirm that the Saguenay-Lac-Saint-Jean snowmobile trails are and will remain open for the rest of the winter season.

> Chaudière- Appalaches (possibly a few closures on the lowlands near the St Lawrence River that can be detoured around)
https://www.chaudiereappalaches.com/…/snowmobile-trail-con…/

> Lanaudière-Mauricie (possibly a few closures on the lowlands near the St Lawrence River - see map in my next post)
http://snowmobilecountry.ca/…/access-to-farmlands-now-prohi…

When in doubt, go to the link below, select a region and go to trail conditions on the region's website for their latest trail updates: 
http://snowmobileinquebec.com/destinations/

Well we called a couple hotels in different areas and they know as much or less then the rest of us.Some said nothing will happen until the 6th.I told them there was already closures in at least 2 areas I read about on here.So with this being the first weekend of the "movement"and all the uncertantity we will spend our dollars in Maine this weekend.Don't want to travel to Quebec for a weekend saddlebagging and find out that as this gathers steam that there are more and more farmers closing their access which will equal dead ends and limited or no grooming.The clubs also can't say for certain what will remain open.I would have thought that the buisness owners would have called their govt.rep and voiced their concern about losing business to add some substance to the farmers argument.Hopefully the farmers get their point across quickly and the govt begins to realize that the taxpayers pockets are not bottomless and they need to stop spending what they don't have and we can quickly get back to normal riding in Quebec.

We are seeing a problem right now with cancelling our rooms and moving areas ( south of the river). We are suppose to leave on Monday and most places were aware of the problems but one place is giving us grief and not willing to help saying all will be good by Monday . It's hard when some in the group can only ride this one week. I'm lucky I'm flexible but some are not for their riding times. 

We are supposed to start a run out of Quebec City on a Saturday, up to Baie Come, over to Valin and back down to Quebec City.  Some of this territory is new ground, hopefully we don't encounter any issues.  We are beyond the cancelation policy at a few places