2/ 2017 UPA Trail closures

momojohnny

With regard to the uncertainty I would think that for anyone planning a trip it would be a good idea to research the different clubs that groom the trails on your intended route. Armed with a list of their FB page, website and telephone numbers, you would possibly have the best resource for local info on trail closures.  Every year here in QC it is the responsibility of each club to meet with private land owners on whose  land their trails pass and get their approval in writing and so they know better than anyone where the UPA members lands are in their area and are monitoring what the local situation is day to day in this crisis . At least that is the case ( monitoring ) with my club.

Edited by Cnc

Sandi said to gas up more often than normal.  You could get to a closure and the gas station that you were going to fill up at is on the other side of the closure and now you have to turn around.  The closest gas station behind you may be out of range.  We are aware of what is happening.  Plan ahead so this isn't any more frustrating than it has to be.

Jack & Sandi

A dozen farmers in the Eastern Townships met with the media Thursday morning to explain the reasons why they will block their land to snowmobilers. This threat will be implemented on February 6 if the "Quebec government does not suspend the reform of the Farm Property Tax Credit Program (PCTFA)".

The UPA argues that the PCTFA translates into an average 38% increase in the farmers' tax burden. "This adds to substantial increases in recent years due to the significant increase in the value of land (800% in 20 years) and the valuation method used by municipalities," says the UPA.

"People need to understand that we do not do that cheerfully. We have always been happy to allow outdoor enthusiasts to cross our lands; mostly without compensation, but the contempt was right to our patience, "said the president of the local union of the UPA Haut-Saint-François, Lynne Martel Bégin.

Farmers claim that the new Agriculture Minister, Laurent Lessard, suspend changes to PCTFA and that meet the stakeholders to find "sustainable solutions to agricultural land tenure."

"For months, with the Municipalities, we ask to sit down with the government! There is no request for an additional budget. We want long-term solutions for agricultural taxation in Quebec, "added François Bourassa, President of the UPA-Estrie Federation.

Jonathan Blais, un acériculteur de La Patrie, près du mont Mégantic.Jonathan Blais, a maple farmer from La Patrie near Mount Mégantic. Photo: Radio-Canada / Marie-Hélène Rousseau

Some farmers did not wait until February 6 to block the trails. This is the case of Jonathan Blais, a maple farmer from La Patrie near Mount Mégantic.

We made it to Amqui coming from RDL today. We went south to 544 , 35, 5, 579, 587 and had no issues. Trails were magnificent. Hopefully we can still get our trip in with no issues. Going to head to the south shore in the morning and try to get to Chandler. 

2 hours ago, wulsock1 said:

We made it to Amqui coming from RDL today. We went south to 544 , 35, 5, 579, 587 and had no issues. Trails were magnificent. Hopefully we can still get our trip in with no issues. Going to head to the south shore in the morning and try to get to Chandler. 

36 minutes ago, revct1 said:

Hi Wulsock.  That is the way Sandi and I rode.  What a beautiful ride up by the windmills.

Jack & Sandi

That long straight section of 579 before 587 back in the woods or still along the road? I love the run thru the windmills...

Are most of the threats of closure towards the south side of Quebec? I've read quite a few of the posts (maybe no impact in LSJ?). Anyone come across any potential issues in any of these areas: Sacre Couer, Mont Valin, Roberval, Parent, Mont Laurier, St Zenon, Mattawin? Still researching, but thought I'd check to see if anyone bumped into any of these areas. Thanks. 

This is getting old, everyone asking the same questions over and over. Go back and read here in this thread. Many of the answers are already here.

Edited by iceman

Bad news we have been warned by UPA OUTAOUAIS-laurentides that the trails will be closed from tomorrow gradually to be closed on Monday may 6. We ask our members to respect the trails closed. For our directors please send us (a stéphane bisson) any closure of trail from the landowner must have a sign path closed and have a signed document from the owner to validate the closure because the owner will no longer be covered by our insurance. We will keep you informed of the trails closed has the measure.

From the Hebou Blanc club

http://clubmotoneigehiboublanc.com/english/

The dispute between the Provincial Government and Farm Land owners who are threatening to block the trails that cross their land does not affect our clubs trail network.

5 hours ago, iceman said:

This is getting old, everyone asking the same questions over and over. Go back and read here in this thread. Many of the answers are already here.

It might be getting old for the people that are familiar with the Quebec areas and the trail system but for us that aren't and are planning a trip up there it's not! Sorry if you're getting irritated but just trying to get some information. 

In my opinion, the exploria map grooming function will be the most valuable resource during this fluid situation.  When the lights/colors go out on this thing we are all in trouble!

some clubs open/some not

closures occurring over time

obviously Quebec/Snowmobile Clubs have an interest in painting the best picture of the riding still available to keep tourism dollars flowing and minimize the revenue loss as much as possible.

Are the few areas that claim they will remain unaffected going to be slammed with traffic?

Time will tell.....

Ive made the decision to postpone any trip until the situation is hopefully resolved.  Not being a guinea pig this time and very disappointed.  😥😥😥

IMG_0728.PNG

3 hours ago, yorkxf9000 said:

It might be getting old for the people that are familiar with the Quebec areas and the trail system but for us that aren't and are planning a trip up there it's not! Sorry if you're getting irritated but just trying to get some information. 

I understand, but when people are asking questions that have been answered, FOR EXAMPLE continuing to ask about Saguenay and Lac St. Jean. It has been posted that this area will not be affected. Believe it. You get no Bullsh*t here on this site, 

as far as what trails will close where if this goes down...no one here knows which farmers are In the UPA throughout QC and which are also in support of this action and least of all which trails are on their land they will close. Unfortunately if they block on Monday it will take a few days to get a picture of what it's looking like where. And what is doable and what is cut off. 

Capisce?

At the height of snowmobiling season, Quebec's farmers say they'll begin blocking trails as of tomorrow because of a dispute over taxes on their land.  

Well over a third of Quebec's 33,000 kilometres of snowmobiling trails are on farmland and other plots of private property.  

The Quebec Farmers Union decided to go ahead with the protest even though the Agriculture Ministry changed hands last week when minister Pierre Paradis was sidelines by a sexual misconduct investigation.  He has been replaced by Laurent Lessard, who appeared to have a less contentious relationship with farmers when he handled the Agriculture portfolio in previous Liberal governments. 

The farmers are angry about a reform of the tax credit for agricultural land.  

The Quebec Federation of Snowmobile Clubs is not pleased with the protest, especially since its members won't know where or when the blockades will pop up.  

The only sure bet for snowmobile enthusiasts is the Saguenay-Lac-Saint-Jean region, where farmers have opted not to participate in trail blockades.

3 hours ago, Scranton1 said:

In my opinion, the exploria map grooming function will be the most valuable resource during this fluid situation.  When the lights/colors go out on this thing we are all in trouble!

some clubs open/some not

closures occurring over time

obviously Quebec/Snowmobile Clubs have an interest in painting the best picture of the riding still available to keep tourism dollars flowing and minimize the revenue loss as much as possible.

Are the few areas that claim they will remain unaffected going to be slammed with traffic?

Time will tell.....

Ive made the decision to postpone any trip until the situation is hopefully resolved.  Not being a guinea pig this time and very disappointed.  😥😥😥

IMG_0728.PNG

You have a point but the map does not nessisarily tell the whole story. Not all clubs groom every trail on a schedule. A white trail, no grooming for 72 hrs does not mean it is closed. We regularly see that when either temperatures, precipitation or low traffic dictate a section does not need doing or even an equipment breakdown can affect that status. I often see the trail down the lake from me shows on I Motoneige as not being groomed for awhile and I find it has been done the night before. Seems sometimes a lag in the upload or what every ever of the data. I would think though the map is an important first step and if the trail is white click on it and it will bring up the name of the club that does it, from there one can check their faceBook page or web site for info on any trail closures on their trail system.

Edited by Cnc

The president of the Union of Quebec Municipalities (UMQ), Bernard Sévigny, Thursday denounced the decision of farmers to take snowmobilers and businesses hostage to protest against the reform of a program of credit property taxes.

The Canadian Press

Mr. Sévigny said that his organization does not support the farmers' demands.

According to the representative, however, municipalities are not involved in the dispute between the government and members of the Union of Agricultural Producers (UPA).

The UPA gave the government until February 6 to abandon its reform of the Farm Property Tax Credit Program (PCTFA).

The consolidation estimates that the new uniform rate of credit, which provides for a 78% reimbursement of property taxes, will result in losses for 80% of its members, which the government contests.

Snowmobile: spin-offs of $ 3 billion per year

In a press conference on the sidelines of a meeting in Quebec City, Sévigny said he will make representations to Agriculture Minister Laurent Lessard shortly.

"If there is a problem between the UPA and the Government of Quebec, I think they have an interest in getting along quickly," he said. I will speak to Minister Lessard in the next few hours. "

Mr. Sévigny was not able to quantify the losses that would be caused by the trail dam, but he said that the total benefits of snowmobiling are $ 3 billion a year in Quebec, Of the Quebec Federation of Snowmobile Clubs.

"The direct consequence is not only on the people who make the snowmobile, but also on the local economies," he said. The power we have is to try to convince the UPA not to implement this blockade. "

A spokesman for the UPA, Patrice Juneau, said that farmers have already started blocking trails, although the suggested start of the operation is next Monday.

Juneau explained that the president of the UPA met with Minister Lessard on Friday and that communications remain frequent.

So far, enough farmers have been identified that want to block their land to close, block all snowmobile trails that pass through one or more farmland. On February 6, any trail that passes through agricultural land will be closed. There are a number of people who want to do it right away, and we respect that. 

Patrice Juneau, spokesman for the UPA

Farmers in the Saguenay and Lac-Saint-Jean regions, who receive royalties for access to their property, will not block trails.

13 hours ago, Phil 1 said:

That long straight section of 579 before 587 back in the woods or still along the road? I love the run thru the windmills...

Hi Phil.  Sandi was running first thru there and I don't remember.  She remembers somewhere that day there was a long straight section with rolling hills that was fun.

Jack & Sandi

BAD NEWS at the end of the day we receive a confirmation from farmer union that they will gradually close trails to a complete closing monday 6. We ask all members to respect the closing trails. TO OUR DIRECTORS please call Stephane Bisson when you get a confirmation of landowner closing their field, you have to put closed trail signs , have a written and sign confirmation from landowner and confirm them they dont have insurance anymore. We are sorry to all our members and hope negociations will avoid the closing but dont forget landowners owns their lands and give us the privilege of having our trails on their lands.

According to Minister Lessard, the conflict between the government and farmers over the Farm Property Tax Credit Program is about to be resolved.

The new Minister of Agriculture said this morning, on Radio-Beauce, that an agreement could be reached as early as this afternoon. If Mr. Lessard's forecasts prove, Quebec snowmobilers will freely circulate on the trails. "There will be snowmobiles to be done this weekend," he added.

For its part, the Director General of the UPA, Charles-Félix Ross, confirmed to the   Earth   That there was really little left yesterday to conclude the agreement.

More details to come.

6 minutes ago, snowfarmer said:

I can't read French but looks like good news!

I do read French and it means no trail closure. Government is backing off on taxation reforms with the farmers. On top of that Laurent Lessard (Minister of Agriculture) is sending us a snowstorm for next week. Perfect timing for my 9 day saddlebag trip.

Its over, for now.  Minister just suspended tax program, let's ride!

http://ici.radio-canada.ca/breve/81479/victoire-se-lupa-quebec-suspend-le-programme-de-ta

Edited by skidooccio