2/ 2017 UPA Trail closures

momojohnny

39 minutes ago, Mid Range said:

I do read French and it means no trail closure. Government is backing off on taxation reforms with the farmers. On top of that Laurent Lessard (Minister of Agriculture) is sending us a snowstorm for next week. Perfect timing for my 9 day saddlebag trip.

Thank Mid range !!

48 minutes ago, Mid Range said:

I do read French and it means no trail closure. Government is backing off on taxation reforms with the farmers. On top of that Laurent Lessard (Minister of Agriculture) is sending us a snowstorm for next week. Perfect timing for my 9 day saddlebag trip.

Thank you Jack for the update! Your a great asset to the region.

Here is the caption translated.  Lets hope there is a long term solution to this reoccurring issue.

Jack & Sandi

Faced with the Union of Agricultural Producers' threat to prohibit the passage of snowmobiles on their lands , Transport Minister Laurent Lessard confirmed that he suspended the new agricultural property tax program that came into effect on January 1. The old program will be reinstated.

The threat of blockade of snowmobile trails has led to the Couillard government's agricultural land tax reform.

The new Minister of Agriculture abandons the program set up by his predecessor Pierre Paradis, who had raised the ire of the Union of Agricultural Producers.

"I put an end to the implementation of the agricultural tax reform. This means that the laws in force (of the old program) are maintained, which means that tax refunds will be made to municipalities on the basis of last year's program, "said Minister Laurent Lessard, at the end of the two-day caucus of Liberal MPs in the National Assembly.

Snowmobile enthusiasts can breathe a sigh of relief. "The counterpart is that agricultural producers leave access to the trails right now," he insisted.

There are several snowmobile trails in the province that use land owned by farmers that threatened to deny access to snowmobilers.

"There are about ten feet of snow all over Quebec. Ontarians, New Brunswick, Americans, Europeans, I think the economy of the territory, the snowmobile, the all-terrain vehicle (ATV) is in full development, "Mr. Lessard argued, explaining his decision.

According to the UPA, the reform Paradis was raising the bill of municipal taxes of the great majority of its members.

This view was refuted by the former Liberal minister, who was dismissed last week because of allegations of sexual misconduct against an employee.

051b3522affcdf728799ae0fa5fe2da4278917.j

4 hours ago, Mid Range said:

On top of that Laurent Lessard (Minister of Agriculture) is sending us a snowstorm for next week. Perfect timing for my 9 day saddlebag trip.

I hear ya, I'm starting a 4 day trip from Quebec on Wednesday next week, looks like we're gonna be breaking trail for a while, let's only hope there's no winds to complicate it even more.

IMG_4805.PNG

Well this js good news. We are in new richmond tonight and all day were wondering if possibly we might get stuck on the Peninsula.  Of course we did think it probably wasn't a bad place to get stuck. Now I was just wondering when they say the farmers of Quebec are they talking about cattle related farmers as well as the maple syrup industry. It seems I have only heard of the syrup industry . Just a question.  Would like to know who the union represents.  I agree they had to defend them selves and I am happy for them it worked out.  

1 hour ago, Shore1066 said:

Well this js good news. We are in new richmond tonight and all day were wondering if possibly we might get stuck on the Peninsula.  Of course we did think it probably wasn't a bad place to get stuck. Now I was just wondering when they say the farmers of Quebec are they talking about cattle related farmers as well as the maple syrup industry. It seems I have only heard of the syrup industry . Just a question.  Would like to know who the union represents.  I agree they had to defend them selves and I am happy for them it worked out.  

Here ya go. https://www.upa.qc.ca/en/the-organisation/

Thank you.  Very interesting.  Maybe the states need to look at something like that.  That way the small farmers would be represented