Bottes Jaune: Passing of a Quebecrider Legend

mikerider

With sadness, Ken Casey, known as 'Yellow Boots' or in French, Bottes Jaune, has passed on to the Snow Gods and off to start a new chapter in all that the afterlife has to offer, which hopefully is more snowmobiling. He was 93.

Ken started snowmobiling in the '60's on his beloved Boa Skis. After wearing out Maine's trails, he ventured into Quebec during the '70's. He eventually spent years riding the Lac St. Jean area before moving on to the Gaspe where he would spend each winter going around and around the Gaspe. Often he would do these trips solo. He had thousands of photos from his trips. He had enough misfortunes on some of these adventures to fill a book and make our misadventures often seem trite. He was so excited one winter when he found a Boa Ski museum in Quebec.

One year during the '80's I believe, He and a couple other riders left Washington State by sled and rode to Maine. What made this interesting was a disagreement amongst them caused Ken to decide to leave the group in Yellowstone and finish the trip alone to Maine by himself.

His obituary mentioned that in order to learn French, everything in his house had a label identifying it in a French term.

I remember riding with Ken in the '60's and '70's. I was 30 years younger and far faster on a sled. Ken never went over 40 mph, but never stopped. I would go off ahead. 75 miles later we would arrive at our break stop at the same time.

Several years ago I ran across Ken at a snowmobile show. He told me he was hanging up the boots. He had a great run but it was over. His wife asked he no longer ride, she needed his company during the winter months and she was too worried about him traversing Quebec at his age. It was the first time I saw sadness in his usually sparkling eyes.

Ken always wore those yellow snowmobile boots.  He knew very early on that the trails in  Quebec and the Quebec people are a part of life to be treasured.

Rest in peace, Ken. And keep it under 40!

I saw him riding solo in the late 90's but never got to speak to him. Truly a legend in the Snowmobile world.....RIP Ken

This reminds me of a woman I met at Relais 22 a few years ago who was on tour by herself with a little dog zipped inside her coat.

9 minutes ago, Pipeman said:

I saw him riding solo in the late 90's but never got to speak to him. Truly a legend in the Snowmobile world.....RIP Ken

This reminds me of a woman I met at Relais 22 a few years ago who was on tour by herself with a little dog zipped inside her coat.

Are you sure it wasn't her cat, aka *****

RIP Yellow Boots.

JG, I'm with you.  On our way home in the truck Tuesday (Jan 31st) Sandi and I were talking about this snowmobiler dubbed "yellow boots".  I don't think he has come to mind in years and Tuesday he was there.  How strange a thought will come up.

Jack & Sandi

R.I.P. to the "Quebec Trail Inspector"

sad news !!!

met him twice , at dealership in amqui while he was talking with my oldest brother ....then one early morning ,fixing the corner at the bottom of the hill with antlers on tq 5 !!!

and like jg and revct ,2 weeks ago , while grooming ,thought of him !!!

rip mr casey !!!

jean-guy

DSC_8712.jpg

We met Ken taking the ferry from Matane to godbout. We got to spend some time with him on the boat ride. He spoke of his hand made moccasins that he wore under the " yellow boots".   RIP " Yellow Boots"

Edited by snowworks

I always hoped he would write about his trips. I just hope his extensive photo collection is preserved and maybe one day can be shared.

Thanks RoadRunner for sharing your pics and Mikerider for letting us know. Funny how we lose track of time. I didn't realize he was over 90. RIP Ken. May your adventures continue.

This is Ken Casey's daughter Julie.  Thank you all for such kinds words and memories about my Dad,  I think I used to belong to this organization online to check the trail conditions for him.  He wasn't too computer savvy.  When he wanted to go snowmobiling I would look up to see if certain trails were closed.  It was probably towards the end of the season and he wanted to get in every ride he could.  I knew he was a legend in the snowmobiling world and this proves it.  Again thank you and if anyone wants to contact me it is JulieMomOtter@aol.com

never too late to do well ,finally found pic , i had hard times with external hard drive !!!

pic of mr casey taken at the bottom of the hill with antlers,  february 7 th ,06 ....early morning !!!

remember him taking pics of the groomer ...first time for him to see a sur-trac groomer !!!

jean-guy

DSC01904.jpg

2 hours ago, revct1 said:

Hi Groomer.  I'm impressed that you could find a picture you were looking for.  You must have 1,000's of pics to look thru.  I know, your secretary found it for you.

Jack & Sandi

hi jack and sandi !!!

hahhaha...no , found it by myself !!!

so many thousand ...faster and easier for me to find it !!! i knew it was winter 06 !!! just a bad connection with external hard drive..( wire )

just back from clubhouse...low traffic...-30c earlier this morning !!!

pic...same place , last thursday morning !!!

jean-guy

DSC_0496.jpg