Poll Question for the group....

iceman

You arrive at a water crossing. It is "staked" and by that I mean it has only one stake spaced out guiding you across. 

Which side of the stake do you ride on? 

Let's hear it.

Sandi would make me go first and then she would decide which side is better.

Other than that, if the trail is equally wet on both sides of the stake and the one stake is in the middle of the trail, I'll keep to the right.  I would figure the stake is there as a warning of the water crossing and not to tell me which side to maneuver to.

If one side was a lot worse than the other, I would think the stake installer would have put two stakes in an "X" on the bad side leaving room to cross on the better side.

Jack & Sandi

Edited by revct1
Add Sandi's comment

Those of you Familiar I am talking specifically of Lac Edouard. Long lake crossing marked with only 1 stake marking the trail across the lake. Stakes are spaced out nicely very easy to follow.

I thought you meant "water" crossing like in a wet spot and you really meant "ice" like frozen water crossing.  I would still stay to the right.  If there was one side or the other that we should be on, I would expect the trail to be double staked like in the farmer's field.

Jack & Sandi

6 minutes ago, revct1 said:

I thought you meant "water" crossing like in a wet spot and you really meant "ice" like frozen water crossing.  I would still stay to the right.  If there was one side or the other that we should be on, I would expect the trail to be double staked like in the farmer's field.

Jack & Sandi

Sorry for the confusion Jack & Sandi. 

Yes Ice Crossing and is not double staked. 

The 355 runs in the woods....

the lake trail I believe is Staked by Domaine Lac Edouard. Not the club.

Right side with all things being equal, no slush or frozen slush to make one want to Favor one side. Having said that, we have several long lake crossings with a single row of stakes and for some reason there is always way more tracks on one side than the other. 

Edited by Cnc

1 minute ago, vt_bluyamaha54 said:

I thought the stake should be to be to your right - so ride left of the stake (?)

Thanks for bringing this forward Don. I'd like to know if there is a correct answer as I have never seen it written anywhere. 

Maybe where they drive on the left? But here I was certain it's keep right. But common sense really isn't that common sadly. 

So if you kept stake on you right and guy coming other way does the same then that is keeping Left, no?

I see what you mean by staying to the left and the approaching sled does the same so passes on your right. That's not normal. What you say makes sense. 

Signing standards (International Association of Snowmobile Administrators/Snowmobilers.org) says signs should always appear on the right side of the trail - like highway signs do for cars for familiarity. That is what you see for all other signs and I would think it would apply to staking also but maybe Quebec does it differently.

That being said I remember riding divided snowmobile/ATV trails there being staked with red and blue posts that follow being to the right side of the trail (?)

Edited by vt_bluyamaha54
Updated

These are not signs, they are a single green stake every couple hundred feet marking way across the Lake. 

There is a path beaten down on both sides of stake. 

Like i said common sense is hard to come by these days, maybe it's just me and I am wrong but seems to me that you would keep right. Just like on a trail on land. 

Maybe I am missing something. 

3 minutes ago, markusvt said:

Ride right, no?:yahoo:

Seems like the obvious answer to me. Never seen a Keep Left sign on trail in QC. 

Seen them when I lived in the Virgin Islands....

IMG_1173.JPG

but we had no sleds there.

40 minutes ago, iceman said:

Seems like the obvious answer to me. Never seen a Keep Left sign on trail in QC. 

Well there is a few actually but still does not apply to lake crossings. Common sense says keep right but how do you expect everyone to get that when you still get 2 watts who can't seem to keep right on a trail especially in a corner. Just Yesterday I had two completely on my side cutting the corner trying to catch a buddy ahead. I had one ski on the powder and had to come almost a compete stop just before the corner to let them get past. 

Now back to the keep left thing, there are a couple of trails around here that turn into a shared trail with atvs. Sort of a parallel trail that runs for a few miles.  Pictograms Sign at one end says sleds on the left and ATVs on the right, at the other end it shows sleds to the right and ATVs to the left.  The sled part is raised a bit and it is obvious how it works for a good part of a particular trail I am thinking of near Vendee. Other parts not so much, it flattens out in places and is obscure as to the separation and you are now likely to meet on coming traffic both sleds and ATVs who are on the right and presume you are on their side of the trail. Maybe they could confuse more people by using pickets to separate the trails.😮

Edited by Cnc

Or like me only  2 fingers  and a thumb on my left hand .........

9 hours ago, Teet F8SP said:

When you are wearing mittens you cant hold up your fingers to make an "L" to know what is left and right.  Thats why I wear gloves...

10 hours ago, Teet F8SP said:

When you are wearing mittens you cant hold up your fingers to make an "L" to know what is left and right.  Thats why I wear gloves...

And how can you count how many pickets you have passed with mittens on?😄

Edited by Cnc

On 2017-02-04 at 3:42 PM, 800steve said:

I know I should probably be on the right, but I ride the smooth side until I see another sled.

I'm with you the best side wins me until the opposing sled comes along then a quick zip over then a quick zip back to the good stuff.

On 2017-02-04 at 4:18 PM, iceman said:

Those of you Familiar I am talking specifically of Lac Edouard. Long lake crossing marked with only 1 stake marking the trail across the lake. Stakes are spaced out nicely very easy to follow.

Well Ice most lakes I've crossed in the province have the same routine, one stake in the middle. Riding up a lake with a single row of stakes on it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out which side he/she should be on. I've ridden that lake on both sides of the sticks I might add but always respect oncoming traffic, just love the best side!!

On 2017-02-04 at 3:43 PM, revct1 said:

Sandi would make me go first and then she would decide which side is better.

Jack & Sandi

You're such a gentleman Jack,

On 2017-02-05 at 0:37 PM, iceman said:

Liike i said common sense is hard to come by these days, maybe it's just me and I am wrong but seems to me that you would keep right. Just like on a trail on land.

Everyone who rides a sled with a North American drivers license, licensing them to drive a road vehicle with in the restrictions of the licenses origin should know which side of the trail/road they should be on, i mean come on guys you don't need a college degree for this.

Okay so on the lake anything goes in some sense so some may think because they can see as far as the horizon but on the trail keeping right is the best political/safety option, but if the trail on the lake is better on the left you can be sure I'll be there until someone tells me so, oncoming traffic that is.

Summary IMO 

Always maintain control under any cercumstances!!