Week at manoir du Lac William

fredsleds

We had a great week here.  Stayed in the cottage that can easily take 5 guys.  Very clean, 2 baths, kitchen, laundry.  2 minute walk to the hotel.

Hotel is amazing, great staff and food.  Super deluxe hot tub, sauna area outside, they give you robes, towel.  For 6 beakfast and 3 dines with the room it was 91 USD/day.  The manager France Limire is fantastic.

trails we really great, except Tuesday evening they had sleet, rail and snow, so Wednesday during an 8 hour ride we cam across 3 sleds all day.  Had to break trail but tit was fun, by Thursday everything groomed to perfection again.

Highly recommends this place and if you're wife or GF sleds, this is the place to stay.

Hi Fred.  Good riding down there that doesn't get a lot of notice.  A little tighter in the trails than Lac St Jean or RDL but many trails to choose from to do day loops.

We stayed there a couple of years ago and the sleds were put in the garage across the street.

Jack & Sandi

Trailers/trucks are in a lock up at night, large gated area.

They do have a garage for sleds, but, we were getting back late and it was usually full.  We put them in the driveway of the cottage and pulled our truck in sideways to block them in.

It seemed very safe, but, as we all know if they realty want them they'll find a way.

The riding was good, sections of nice twisty trails through the woods, then large open areas of farmers fields.  Very hilly areas mixed with flats. A couple of railroad beds/bike trails too for WOT.  The riding was very varied so it wasn't just WOT all day.  I've been to LSJ and it was definitely different riding, but, in a good way.  Gas/food were not an issue if you planned your routes in advance.

Also, the FCMQ mobile app was amazing. I mounted my Android in a waterproof case to the sled with an X mount by RAM mounts and it was super accurate, even had detours in it.  At times ATV trails ran with the sled trails and the app made navigation super easy.  For $3 it is very well worth the money, and in the morning if you lf you have WIFI you can see where they groomed. Phone battery would really burn fast so I would charge it whenever we stopped.  It was near zero F and the phone kept working.  I tried to charge it with a lighter adapter that my sled has, but, after a few minutes it would give a warning that it was too cold to charge the battery.  It would last about 3 hours and everywhere we stopped was happy to charge it for me.

I thought about going there this week Feb 8-12 as I have never ridden that area.

Unfortunately they were all book when I tried getting reservations a couple weeks before hand.

Is there a lot of road crossings there?

I agree that road crossings were not an issue.

Later in the season when the snow on the side of the road melts though, you will go through carbides.  Lots of Canadians had wheels on their sleds, makes it easy on long stretches of bare road and when getting gas etc.

The wheels looked very sturdy and easy to operate.

• 2 weeks later...

This is a great thread as I am heading up there on March 2nd. Hopefully the snow holds up and we don't have to cancel.

Where is the best place for honest up to date trail conditions on that area? 

Any suggestions on some 200 +/- day loops out of there?

Hi Revxman.  The best place is probably this site.  The next thing I do is check the groomer map, the snow depth sites and the individual club sites.  Overall you can get an educated guess of what to expect.  Most of the hotels will give you honest trail condition reports.

You can use the groomer map Viaexplora for a variety of things.  If you have used it, you already know.  If you haven't, spend a little time on it and you will be amazed.

You could make a loop up towards Levis or Lac Etchemin.  Near the towns, the trail may be a little choppy because of the traffic.

I would tend to ride north and east of Lac William.  I think you will find those trails better than to the west or south.  Happy riding.

Jack & Sandi