High Mileage 4 Stroke Riders Question

vt_bluyamaha54

Curious if any of the high mileage 4 stroke riders here (any brand) are doing anything about injector cleaning/service? Additives? Dealer suggesting anything?

Autos have this done but I have never seen it covered in a service manual for sleds or discussed. Anyone ??

What do you consider high mileage?  My 2009 1200 and 2012 1200 each have 10,000 miles.  I haven't even thought about injector problems.  Fuel & go!

Probably not an exact comparison, but my wife's 2008 BMW has 180,000 miles, haven't used any additives or had anything done to the injectors on that either.

Edited by SRSchang

My 14 Apex XTX has just over 30k KM no never done nothing for injectors. All good.

My 08 Apex LTX went 58k KM never did any injector maintenance. Did do valve adjustment at scheduled interval. 

On ‎2‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 3:53 PM, SRSchang said:

What do you consider high mileage?  My 2009 1200 and 2012 1200 each have 10,000 miles.  I haven't even thought about injector problems.  Fuel & go!

Probably not an exact comparison, but my wife's 2008 BMW has 180,000 miles, haven't used any additives or had anything done to the injectors on that either.

I was thinking 7K+ Since it is a vehicle that sits a good bit of the time, you would think issues would be more common than autos(?) Maybe not -

On ‎2‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 4:21 PM, iceman said:

My 14 Apex XTX has just over 30k KM no never done nothing for injectors. All good.

My 08 Apex LTX went 58k KM never did any injector maintenance. Did do valve adjustment at scheduled interval. 

Certainly high mileage qualified :good: I'm thinking if you didn't have problems, I should relax.

On ‎2‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 6:55 PM, Phil 1 said:

The use of premium gas will assist in injector health as there are detergents in it. 

Yup but in the automotive world, that isn't always taking care of the problems. Fuel formulations these days are all blended to try to prevent fuel delivery problems but they still seem to happen in cars.

On ‎2‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 8:08 PM, smclelan said:

I have 32K kilometers on my 1200, have done nothing, and have had no issues. 

Thanks Steven. Yours also falls into what I would say is the high miles category.

I guess the only common thread here is we have all run gas primarily purchased in QC - which may be blended differently than US from what I am told. I guess there is nothing to worry about based on all of your collective experiences. Since fuel injectors have such small passages and tight tolerances, I'm surprised, but hey if it ain't broke, don't worry about trying to fix it.

Thanks all.

On ‎2‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 1:29 PM, vt_bluyamaha54 said:

Curious if any of the high mileage 4 stroke riders here (any brand) are doing anything about injector cleaning/service? Additives? Dealer suggesting anything?

Autos have this done but I have never seen it covered in a service manual for sleds or discussed. Anyone ??

I got 40 000 klms out of my Apex and didn't have any injector issues, never used the cleaner either.

Got 10 000 klms on the Doo now and no injector issues either, same story.

Edited by Trailblazer

17,600 miles on my 1200.  Probably half Quebec and half upstate NY with ethanol fuel.  No issues with injectors and I've never run cleaner thru them.  I do store with non-ethanol fuel.

About 10,000km on my 1200.  Mostly Quebec miles and stored with US ethanol gas using Star-Tron for the last few years, switched to non ethanol high octane fuel last season for storage.

No issues here. 

Also have a 33 year old VolksWagon with ovet 103,000 miles that was forced to drink ethanol fuel for a few years, went back to ethanol free fuel and have no issues with injectors.  Car runs much better with non ethanol, though.

Fuel up and ride!

On 2017-02-15 at 11:50 AM, vt_bluyamaha54 said:

I was thinking 7K+ Since it is a vehicle that sits a good bit of the time, you would think issues would be more common than autos(?) Maybe not -

Certainly high mileage qualified :good: I'm thinking if you didn't have problems, I should relax.

Yup but in the automotive world, that isn't always taking care of the problems. Fuel formulations these days are all blended to try to prevent fuel delivery problems but they still seem to happen in cars.

Thanks Steven. Yours also falls into what I would say is the high miles category.

I guess the only common thread here is we have all run gas primarily purchased in QC - which may be blended differently than US from what I am told. I guess there is nothing to worry about based on all of your collective experiences. Since fuel injectors have such small passages and tight tolerances, I'm surprised, but hey if it ain't broke, don't worry about trying to fix it.

Thanks all.

Yes in the automotive world it still happens but not that much. Injector cleaning services are a big money maker for garages and unless you are experiencing poor gas milage or drivability problems they are a gray area preventative maintenance. I have over 240,000km on a SUV never cleaned the injectors, 212,000 on a truck, and god know how many hrs on a 1982 diesel again no injector service. IMO change the fuel filter regularly, run non ethonal fuel mixed with stabilizer before storage and maybe add 1/2 can of sea foam to the first tank after storage of any vehicle and you will avoid a lot of issues. Two cycles different beast though, dispite the above I always phisically clean the carbs before putting back in service.

Edited by Cnc

I had over 17000 miles on my 1200 when I sold it. When storing , I put a 1/2 can of Seafoam fuel injector cleaner and some Startron, filled tank with regular gas with ethanol. I always start my engines once per month. No problems. My 2016 900 has over 6000 and one storage dose.

Jeff