Pittsburg NH to Beecher Falls, Vt. to East Hereford, QC. to La Patrie to Pittsburg NH

Dropped down from Pittsburg NH to Beecher Falls, Vt. where we entered East Hereford, QC. From there we rode fresh powder - all formerly groomed for the entire 113miles + - . Our objective was to travel 523 to Sawyerville where we would pick up 525 to La Patrie and then onto Chartieville & Pittsburg NH. While traveling on 523 we came to an intersection where a signpost  advised La Patrie was to the right. Subsequently we made the right and followed the directional (arrows) signs as the trail had no number. Well the trail went from steep and wide to a goat path and steeper. Additionally the directional signs became further apart where at times we wondered if we missed a turn off as the snow banks were high. How they formerly groomed the goat path (sled ?) I do not know as it was tight and hilly. It was obvious the trail had been recently cut as remnants of former trees were visible in the middle of the trail...Eventually (*25 miles + -) we dumped out onto trail 525 and turned right - only a few miles outside of La Patrie . The new trail / unnumbered caused us to circumvent Sawyerville in its entirety and roughly 10 less miles than our planned trip. If you choose to take the new trail I suggest you ride with another as we only met one soul (FCMQ Trail Patrol) who  confirmed for us we were going in the right direction and that the trail was recently cut and not yet on the FCMQ map. Had we not met the trail patrol man we would have turned around as we were unsure if we were going in the right direction and off the GPS & paper map. (* Suggested mileage - guessed - could be more - could be less.)

La Patrie .jpg

Edited by nyskidooerinnewhampshire

We did the same thing last Thursday. Our GPS showed us going along the boarder cut for some of the trail. We even saw a sign showing a trail to the Perry Pond trail on the NH side of the cut. We too had first tracks all the way to 523. We had lunch at the store-resturant in Chartierville. Crossed at Pittsburg and beat it back to Colebrook. It was a great ride. 

How are you Paddy & Gin, still coming up to the Delta? I am here with a bunch of Quebec riders having a great time, Met Jack & Sandy, SnomoGary and his wife Pat from England, Chris from PA, Daniel & his wife ( they speak perfect French) Mr.Gutz is here and of course Bill & JG. Hope to see you.

Joe

On 2/16/2017 at 11:09 PM, nyskidooerinnewhampshire said:

Dropped down from Pittsburg NH to Beecher Falls, Vt. where we entered East Hereford, QC. From there we rode fresh powder - all formerly groomed for the entire 113miles + - . Our objective was to travel 523 to Sawyerville where we would pick up 525 to La Patrie and then onto Chartieville & Pittsburg NH. While traveling on 523 we came to an intersection where a signpost  advised La Patrie was to the right. Subsequently we made the right and followed the directional (arrows) signs as the trail had no number. Well the trail went from steep and wide to a goat path and steeper. Additionally the directional signs became further apart where at times we wondered if we missed a turn off as the snow banks were high. How they formerly groomed the goat path (sled ?) I do not know as it was tight and hilly. It was obvious the trail had been recently cut as remnants of former trees were visible in the middle of the trail...Eventually (*25 miles + -) we dumped out onto trail 525 and turned right - only a few miles outside of La Patrie . The new trail / unnumbered caused us to circumvent Sawyerville in its entirety and roughly 10 less miles than our planned trip. If you choose to take the new trail I suggest you ride with another as we only met one soul (FCMQ Trail Patrol) who  confirmed for us we were going in the right direction and that the trail was recently cut and not yet on the FCMQ map. Had we not met the trail patrol man we would have turned around as we were unsure if we were going in the right direction and off the GPS & paper map. (* Suggested mileage - guessed - could be more - could be less.)

La Patrie .jpg

Unfortunately Paddy O, this is what has happened in many parts of the Eastern Townships due to the lean snow years the last 10yrs. Permissions for former paths have been lost, signage is poor/non-existent, brushing is haphazard. Glad you were able to find your way. Sawyerville used to be an active area but I don't even know if the Sawyerville Hotel is still operating? It's been a few years - 

Unfortunately Paddy O, this is what has happened in many parts of the Eastern Townships due to the lean snow years the last 10yrs. Permissions for former paths have been lost, signage is poor/non-existent, brushing is haphazard. Glad you were able to find your way. Sawyerville used to be an active area but I don't even know if the Sawyerville Hotel is still operating? It's been a few years - 

Thank you Vt_bluyamaha54.  When I researched "Hotel Sawyerville" it appears it has transferred ownership multiple times in recent years with the last time in 2016 and is currently named RAMANA HOTEL COMPLEX. It appears to be a boutique / meditation escape / hotel . Aside from one Facebook posting in November 2016 I did not see any association / catering to snowmobiling. The following is a link to the current website. http://www.hotelramana.ca/  and or FB page @  https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=complexe hôtelier ramana     I wish the current investors luck with their venture ,,,,,,,,,

Edited by nyskidooerinnewhampshire