Cote Nord and Lab loop

RoadRunner

4 hours ago, dmccrea@twcny.rr.com said:

Great report again RR thx for all the good work an efforts to share.  Enjoy your day off but I would expect u all will go for a ride somewhere by sled. 

DM, we were all OK without a day of riding however, we do have some minor repairs under way after one member found a rock on the power line into Church 2 days ago. Back and going by mid afternoon, ready for an early AM ride to Gabriel.

20170304_120822.jpg

7 hours ago, snowfarmer said:

I think Road Road runner this would be a great trip to write about plus the pictures would be great in Snow Goer magazine! It would be one of the best stories in a while for the magazine ! I think a lot of other people would enjoy reading about this other than QR readers! 

Snowfarmer, I agree, we just need a trail reporter riding with us like Iceman, his reports are the best!

Edited by RoadRunner

11 minutes ago, RoadRunner said:

Snowfarmer, I agree, we just need a trail reporter adding with us like Iceman, his reports are the best!

You do pretty good yourself but I have to agree Ice does seem to have the silver tongue when it goes to his ride reports!

14 minutes ago, RoadRunner said:

Snowfarmer, I agree, we just need a trail reporter adding with us like Iceman, his reports are the best!

Edited by snowfarmer

6 hours ago, RoadRunner said:

Snowfarmer, I agree, we just need a trail reporter riding with us like Iceman, his reports are the best!

Anytime, anywhere. Will gladly take in role of team scribe, in trade for an Expedition so i can go along. Have your people call my people we can work this out. 

What a gorgeous day to come down the St Marguerrite river and reservoir system today, after a 30 mile exploratory long cut on a trapper line at the end of our river run, looking for alternates routes into Gabriel and a 30 mile round trip partial recovery of Rob's expedition with a blown transmission shaft. We made it to Gabriel as a  late arrival ! All in a great day of riding. We still have recovery work to do tomorrow, some other sled issues to resolve, before the next leg to Forestville. Many more great parts to this story, will save for a later date, here are some pics of our 300 mile adventure today!

IMG_0588.JPG

IMG_0587.JPG

IMG_0589.JPG

IMG_0590.JPG

IMG_0591.JPG

IMG_0592.JPG

IMG_0593.JPG

IMG_0582.JPG

If we ever needed Iceman to scribe, it was yesterday! Ooh Ice did you why miss that opportunity? As mentioned earlier, there are lots of parts to this day, can only do justice once we get everything back together and sorted out. But the 11:07 pm arrival at Gabriel kind of helps set the stage.

For just a piece of yesterday, In order to get the busted expedition out of Lake Garemand and into the uniforest railsiding , where we left it for the night, we had to tag team 2 -154 sleds in line to pull the hills in the loose snow conditions. We kept those sleds tied together for the entire 15 mile pull into the abandoned  uniforest rail siding. More chapters from the beginning! Later on. RRIMG_0582.thumb.JPG.38d4948095f677879a73abef9c44c756.JPGIMG_0586.thumb.JPG.cafd3de083b3db8430397b226ecc8839.JPGIMG_0585.thumb.JPG.147aa86470392099c61b9ee63661d5b5.JPGIMG_0583.thumb.JPG.a879e6ad0088093d20fe683e8ad3950d.JPGIMG_0601.thumb.JPG.a4b769e857d9ed24d394a6de1461cad5.JPGIMG_0594.thumb.JPG.4855d30e5c64cb4ab93e0addac6ef609.JPGIMG_0596.thumb.JPG.8e97b868443cf019d881f3b1899b9f26.JPGIMG_0597.thumb.JPG.d4e6787cfc4d5155d308a4a23c36dbce.JPGIMG_0599.thumb.JPG.f132c57204861e1d55bdfd89f975354b.JPGIMG_0606.thumb.JPG.41c691f33be5ea46ea40a615fe768681.JPGIMG_0607.thumb.JPG.3209b0ff2f5746d4927d1632f684b133.JPGIMG_0608.thumb.JPG.593f7913d0545fb7f68ad7edceb6e7c7.JPGIMG_0609.thumb.JPG.5e4ec65eb11f5fb7e7d169a64f566121.JPG

IMG_0603.JPG

IMG_0604.JPG

IMG_0605.JPG

Wonderful pics and narrative once again.  Hmm, two sleds dragging the disabled.  That is a coordinated effort so no one gets run over.

If I remember correctly, Labrador is English speaking.  Does the language preference change after Havre St Pierre or is it French right to the Lab border?

Jack & Sandi

5 hours ago, revct1 said:

.  Does the language preference change after Havre St Pierre or is it French right to the Lab border?

Jack & Sandi

A mix of french, english & innu languages on the Quebec side,  the further you go east towards the quebec/Labrador border the more the english or bilingual  towns, this part of Quebec is known as the Lower North Shore (basse cote nord)

Team work is the key when it comes to these kind of rides and you guys certainly have pulled together when in need from I've been reading. A little curious here as to what's gonna happen with Robs Expedition, you guys got parts in the chase vehicle or perhaps a little machine shop on board or more intuitive engineering.

I do hope you guys had a less adventurous ride back to the trucks and look forward to reading more on today's trek.

I am officially hooked to the Cote Nord and want to see more and go beyond now that i have experienced a part of it myself and followed along with you guys, i'll be in touch.

And than there was just three! Once we settled the carnage from yesterday's ride into Gabriel, we determined we had three operating...reliably...sleds to make the 300 plus mile run to Forestville. So with Rob's sled out in the bush still 50 miles east of Gabriel this am, a trailer that would haul the impaired sleds, we saddled up what was left running. We borrowed a couple of sleds from Relais Gabriel to assist for the sled recovery , and should I say Guy was awesome last night keeping track of who needed help and serving dinner at 11:30 last night for the crew, but any way , most of the broken down crew was tagged for Rob's sled recovery, and three of us head out for Forestville under gorgeous sky's, a beautiful Manicougan reservoir and a special treat of a herd do 25 to 30 Caribou on the Outarde reservoir, about 100 miles north off Baie Comeau. You can't beat that for the final run in. A nice 320 mile ride. A few of us made the entire loop on snowmobile without any transport for repairs or illiness. Now you just can't beat that!

The recovery crew was also very successful, bringing the carnage expedition into Gabriel by 12:30 and showing up in Forestville for a final dinner by 6pm

I will go back and revisit the Gabriel run later, lots of great stories and reflections.

In the truck and back to Maine tomorrow

Think snow RR

IMG_0610.JPG

IMG_0616.JPG

IMG_0614.JPG

IMG_0617.JPG

Edited by RoadRunner