Cote Nord and Lab loop

RoadRunner

8 minutes ago, groomer said:

hi rr and 603 bc !!!

great to follow your adventure !!!

awesome pics !!! just like you re on another planet !!! very nice !!!

thx for sharing pics !!!

jean-guy

Jean guy, we have had a wonderful trip so far , onto Mary's Harbor Lab tomorrow!

IMG_0516.thumb.JPG.ae2ec1195e5a6fcfebd0a03819eaec4f.JPGAt the Quebec/ Labrador border this afternoon, just east of Blanc Sablon, Team Maine's Early rider has organized and lead this trip. He and his wife Tina have been awesome in the planning of this trip, we are very appreciative of his efforts and knowledge. 

Edited by RoadRunner

Hi RR did the 1200 come into it??? Looks like its still moving on its own.  That's the last sled you would want to tow!!!! I give you guys a lot of credit for a well executed adventure.  I'm sure wishing I were there.  I definitely have this trip on the radar.  How has your gas situation worked out ?? Is an extra 10 gallons per sled getting you from point to point on the long days??? Watching with envy  Enjoy

28 minutes ago, dmccrea@twcny.rr.com said:

Hi RR did the 1200 come into it??? Looks like its still moving on its own.  That's the last sled you would want to tow!!!! I give you guys a lot of credit for a well executed adventure.  I'm sure wishing I were there.  I definitely have this trip on the radar.  How has your gas situation worked out ?? Is an extra 10 gallons per sled getting you from point to point on the long days??? Watching with envy  Enjoy

DM, we got the 1200 as far as Vieux fort, a generous local man hauled it to Lance to brp for repairs. It never came out of it, very strange, backfiring, hitching, but Early rider was able to drive it to Vieux fort for his owner and repairs. The changed the core fuel filter screen and changed battery terminals. A weird issue for sure. Tomorrow its gets tested again!

6 to 8 gallons of Extra gas is good, or you gas up at every opportunity and you will be fine with a safety 3 or 4 gallon brp tank.

a great trip to put on your radar!

RR

5 minutes ago, UNH Hockey said:

You guys are not pushing the Nh boys to hard are you? Howard tell Kris and Ed Steve says hello Looks 

like things are going well.

Steve, the boys are doing great, Ed would be happier if it was not his 1200 with the issues! We are having a great time outside of the 1200 gremlins!😉

I guess the ride up to Lance au Clair has been up to this point on marked trail with the exception of in and out of Havre St.Pierre, today's leg to Mary's Cove and further on up to Goose Bay I would imagine will be all up to the gps and the tracks that you guys created. This is the part where we'll see why team Maine are the Cains Quest champs.

i can only imagine how much effort and research is put into one of these expeditions, thanks so much for sharing your route, pics and experiences. 

Early Riders sled, is that an Expedition Extreme?

Wow! That looks like an amazing trip! I hope you have a great adventure and everyone returns safe. 

Thanks for sharing,

lindasledgirl

3 hours ago, Trailblazer said:

I guess the ride up to Lance au Clair has been up to this point on marked trail with the exception of in and out of Havre St.Pierre, today's leg to Mary's Cove and further on up to Goose Bay I would imagine will be all up to the gps and the tracks that you guys created. This is the part where we'll see why team Maine are the Cains Quest champs.

i can only imagine how much effort and research is put into one of these expeditions, thanks so much for sharing your route, pics and experiences. 

Early Riders sled, is that an Expedition Extreme?

TB, today's ride was not the blue sky days we had been blessed with. But that's what makes an adventure right? Today we had fog, rain and the 1200 sled gremlins are still with us. We rode like all the sleds were connected to each other and a cable hooked to Rob's expedition extreme. Low visibility made you realize how good Rob is. Running by gps alone near zero visibility at times and not marked like the white road! 

When the 1200 gremlins kicked in with zero visibility, Rob took a vote on how to get to mary's with a bad sled. Along came TLH.

TLH is great snowmobile  club, but they sand the the middle of the trail?? What's up with that.  Anyway, we made the last 40 miles on the TLH in the fog and rain to Mary's harbor for the night. All done by noon!  100 miles for the day.

Cooling temps tonight and off to Cartwright tomorrow

RR

IMG_0517.JPG

IMG_0518.JPG

IMG_0519.JPG

IMG_0520.JPG

IMG_0521.JPG

Edited by RoadRunner

RR whats the plan for fixing the 1200 any BRP service up there??? I was hoping you guys were far enough north to escape the warm weather we have been cursed with down here.  Hope it will get back to winter for you all soon.  Almost sounding like maybe a computer issue??? They can be extremely hard to find for sure.  Best of luck with it bummer having troubles but I guess it adds to the adventure.  Enjoy your afternoon off.  The original plan was for Cartwright tonight ??? Best of luck and thx for the reports.

1 hour ago, dmccrea@twcny.rr.com said:

RR whats the plan for fixing the 1200 any BRP service up there??? I was hoping you guys were far enough north to escape the warm weather we have been cursed with down here.  Hope it will get back to winter for you all soon.  Almost sounding like maybe a computer issue??? They can be extremely hard to find for sure.  Best of luck with it bummer having troubles but I guess it adds to the adventure.  Enjoy your afternoon off.  The original plan was for Cartwright tonight ??? Best of luck and thx for the reports.

DM, So far we are on plan, we had reservations here at Mary's Harbor. We are looking for someone who can take the 1200 to Goose bay , 275 miles for what we think may be a tps sensor or electric throttle. BRP buds is not helping us diagnose this. One of the harder issues to find is an electrical gremlin. Certainly very frustrating for the owner!

RR

On 2/25/2017 at 11:14 AM, markusvt said:

Havre St.Pierre is the last decent size town.  Tim Hortons and all.  3500 people. l'HÔTEL MOTEL DU HAVRE  and Complexe MV both there and you can book online.  The trail from there to Blanc Sablon is supposed to be loosley marked and dotted with warming huts, be interesting to see what you find.

Capture.JPG

Markus, today's ride ,was more like you described, loosely marked and a very occasional emergency shelter. Lab is rightly named "The Big  Land" 

Rob and Dixon  from  Lab  city are planning tomorrow and tuesdays ride now. Looking at tracks and planning the route. Lots of stuff. Sea ice, trap lines and lake Melville are all in the mix. 

Should be a good run either way!

RR

IMG_0522.JPG

If you can feel the exhaust on the 1200 and can isolate to a cylinder, maybe a wire/coil/injector issue. If not possible common sensor issue but it should light a code. If you can, dump and change all the fuel, the 1200 will not tolerate any water.  Swap all the relays around and for sure tighten all ground wires including the one on the front left motor mount. Measure battery voltage.

26 minutes ago, markusvt said:

If you can feel the exhaust on the 1200 and can isolate to a cylinder, maybe a wire/coil/injector issue. If not possible common sensor issue but it should light a code. If you can, dump and change all the fuel, the 1200 will not tolerate any water.  Swap all the relays around and for sure tighten all ground wires including the one on the front left motor mount. Measure battery voltage.

Definitely not a good feeling to have electronic or for that matter any sled troubles on a trip like this, 30k miles since the late 80's I have been so lucky, I would love to go on this trip, but realize how well prepared and lucky you have to be, great report, be safe!!

42 minutes ago, markusvt said:

Thank you Markus, there are some things you mention that we have not addressed. We are scratching our heads at this point, the brp tech thought he had it last night.  We will look into these suggestions and keep you posted.  RR

Number one failure is broken wire at the coil connector , can happen on any cylinder. As it fails you go from 2 to 3 cylinders when only on two cylinders max speed is 50 mph. Easy to diagnose by touching the manifold in front of each cylinder, one will be cold. There are spare connectors  and pins in the wiring harness that you can borrow and MacGyver it together if need be.  Pictures look great! 

22 hours ago, dmccrea@twcny.rr.com said:

Watching

RR just throwing out a thought here. I had a similar issue on my Last Pro Climb haunted me for three days from St Ann Du Lock to the Gouin Res.  Ran great till it got warm then cut out backfired fell on its face till after really hot it would quit. Let it cool off and srart all over again. Three days of that😡😡😡.  Finally realized when it quit completely the fuel pump wasn't running. Got some wire from an outfitter ran a clean wire around the harness from the battery to the pump ran like a top the rest of the trip got me home.  Tore it apart at home found a wire had rested against the bracket from the can every time that bracket got hot it melted the insulation on the fuel pump wire and shorted it out.  When it cooled down insulation got solid again and protected the wire. Talk about a gremlin.  It was a new sled so all warranty .  Wireing harness and whole top of the engine was shot from starving for fuel. Check the harness for rubbing. Just a thought good luck 

Edited by dmccrea@twcny.rr.com

2 hours ago, markusvt said:

Number one failure is broken wire at the coil connector , can happen on any cylinder. As it fails you go from 2 to 3 cylinders when only on two cylinders max speed is 50 mph. Easy to diagnose by touching the manifold in front of each cylinder, one will be cold. There are spare connectors  and pins in the wiring harness that you can borrow and MacGyver it together if need be.  Pictures look great! 

I can second that, Grumpy Santa here on QR just went through the same thing with his 1200 Grand Touring and it was determined at the dealer a broken lead inside one of the coil connectors. Not something that can be seen but was found quite quickly with the BRP tech. Symptoms he described were irratict running sounded like it was missing.

Good luck guys with that gremlin, I hope any info that any one of us offered will help out, no one likes a pick up ride to the dealer in the middle of a trip.

44 minutes ago, Trailblazer said:

I can second that, Grumpy Santa here on QR just went through the same thing with his 1200 Grand Touring and it was determined at the dealer a broken lead inside one of the coil connectors. Not something that can be seen but was found quite quickly with the BRP tech. Symptoms he described were irratict running sounded like it was missing.

Good luck guys with that gremlin, I hope any info that any one of us offered will help out, no one likes a pick up ride to the dealer in the middle of a trip.

We really appreciate all the input the you guys are sending back. Every time something new is mentioned we are out on the sled checking it out. Currently it gets trucked to goose for the Brp dealer to look at. We checked coil connections markus had mentioned and pins to make sure all pins were connecting, but it could be still in this area. The run relay keeps coming up too so that gets tested and changed this time too. We will no know more by Tuesday. Ugh!  It's tough in the big land, everyone is very helpful but distances to dealers are huge. A long ride and couple of days for the owner again.

RR

2 minutes ago, markusvt said:

"cheater" trick, if running rough currently, then unplug 1 coil at at time.  If (2) make a difference and 1 does not, you found the cylinder with the issue.

Loving all these tips and the "try this" "try that", nice. That's what QR is about. Nice job everyone. 

RR, i am loving following this trip. Next year the Route Blanche or maybe this season still who knows. But I need to go. 

Thanks RR for responding not only to me but everyone else that is posting questions and responses.  It takes a lot of your time to post and it is appreciated by all of us that are following you and company.  Maybe you will designated the Commissioner of the White Road!

Jack & Sandi