Cote Nord and Lab loop

RoadRunner

23 hours ago, RoadRunner said:

TB, today's ride was not the blue sky days we had been blessed with. But that's what makes an adventure right? Today we had fog, rain and the 1200 sled gremlins are still with us. We rode like all the sleds were connected to each other and a cable hooked to Rob's expedition extreme. Low visibility made you realize how good Rob is. Running by gps alone near zero visibility at times and not marked like the white road! 

When the 1200 gremlins kicked in with zero visibility, Rob took a vote on how to get to mary's with a bad sled. Along came TLH.

TLH is great snowmobile  club, but they sand the the middle of the trail?? What's up with that.  Anyway, we made the last 40 miles on the TLH in the fog and rain to Mary's harbor for the night. All done by noon!  100 miles for the day.

Cooling temps tonight and off to Cartwright tomorrow

RR

IMG_0517.JPG

IMG_0518.JPG

IMG_0519.JPG

IMG_0520.JPG

IMG_0521.JPG

Are you able to ride in the ditch some or how does that work exactly?

On 2/26/2017 at 11:36 AM, RoadRunner said:

TB, today's ride was not the blue sky days we had been blessed with. But that's what makes an adventure right? Today we had fog, rain and the 1200 sled gremlins are still with us. We rode like all the sleds were connected to each other and a cable hooked to Rob's expedition extreme. Low visibility made you realize how good Rob is. Running by gps alone near zero visibility at times and not marked like the white road! 

When the 1200 gremlins kicked in with zero visibility, Rob took a vote on how to get to mary's with a bad sled. Along came TLH.

TLH is great snowmobile  club, but they sand the the middle of the trail?? What's up with that.  Anyway, we made the last 40 miles on the TLH in the fog and rain to Mary's harbor for the night. All done by noon!  100 miles for the day.

Cooling temps tonight and off to Cartwright tomorrow

RR

IMG_0517.JPG

IMG_0518.JPG

IMG_0519.JPG

IMG_0520.JPG

IMG_0521.JPG

So Rob must be IFR rated...lol

Edited by 182ray

More pics of the ride from Marys Harbor to Black Tickle and onto Cartwright today. Lots of Sea Ice, Gorgeous scenery and Black Tickle is very special!

received_10202717307931356.jpeg

received_10202717301131186.jpeg

received_10202717305331291.jpeg

received_10202717301491195.jpeg

received_10202717300171162.jpeg

received_10202717307251339.jpeg

received_10202717310971432.jpeg

received_10202717309611398.jpeg

received_10202717309011383.jpeg

Edited by RoadRunner

Almost 4,000 views.  Think everyone of us is following your every mile?

200 of us are already signed up to go with you next year. lol         Thanks for taking the time to post, very much enjoying it.

mike

Florida snowman and Mike R, that would be one heck of a trip, we may need to start working on accomadations for 200!

Iceman, the Blanche road is a must for you that's for sure!

Skeld. We were able to run the ditches probably 30% of the time.

Todays ride left Mary's Harbor and we took a combination of the old tlt trail and bays to get to Port hope Simpson.

Gassed up there and rode Robs gps tracks along the coast  and inner bays over to the the trail that is maintained from Cartwright to Black Tickle by the government for that remote eastern community. 120 people live in Black Tickle. A polar bear sighting here recently as well as a herd of 20 Caribou last weekend

The conditions this morning were very hard after the rain yesterday, but a blue sky day for sure. Running the coastal route today taught many of us the joys and awareness that is needed to do this. Sea ice, like any ice is good in some places but needs respect in others. We saw plenty of areas that you would not want to wander into during a snow storm or at night unless you had great knowledge of the area.

The scenery here on the south coast of Lab rivals what we saw on the white road and in the Gaspe!

Black Tickle was a first visit for everyone in our group today! That is amazing in it's self!

Two Quebec gentlemen pulled in tonight heading in our same direction. They will join us tomorrow on our way to Goose Bay!

Happy trails RR

Edited by RoadRunner

You sure it's not Black Tickle? I remember that name back when cod fishing was booming years ago one of my sales reps talked about it, he was from Nova Scotia . 

Edited by Pipeman

8 minutes ago, Pipeman said:

You sure it's not Black Tickle? I remember that name back when cod fishing was booming years ago one of my sales reps talked about it, he was from Nova Scotia . 

Lol, yes, you are right  guess I am getting a little spongy 😉  I will go back and correct Thank you Pipe!

Edited by RoadRunner

4 hours ago, mikerider said:

Almost 4,000 views.  Think everyone of us is following your every mile?

200 of us are already signed up to go with you next year. lol         Thanks for taking the time to post, very much enjoying it.

I was just waiting for someone to suggest the next QR get together . I know about 150 wouldn't go if we could follow you RR out there. Enjoying this trip from the comfort of my couch! 

1 hour ago, 182ray said:

Ginger & I have been to Port Hope Simpson by car though, don't want to hijack your thread but that drive was slightly less thrilling than yours 

& you don't have to swat the no see ums away 

182, I can understand the under whelming experience you might get from the Trans lab Hiway, from the bits we have seen, Somehow on a snowmobile, following the coastal shore it seems to change that experience.

The boys from Montreal Quebec that were running a day ahead of us apparently. Said they had done fine until the grooming stopped at Red Bay lab. No problems on their ride along Cote Nord.

From there,  they have had a bit of trouble finding their way along the relatively unmarked and unmaintained trails. We got ahead of them yesterday somewhere , probably while we were on our "Team Maine custom coastal route" as they stayed in port Hope Simpson the night before, just north of Mary's Harbor, but tried to come by trail. The gps trail map they had purchased was inaccurate up here. They had done this loop 10 years or so ago, so not a first time. They seemed pretty happy when Rob asked them to join in with us. Great guys, we will have a good time with them joining in.

The boys have ski doo 1200s and were strapping on spare windshield washer gas jugs last night for the run tomorrow. Approx a 180 to 200 mile run without a  fuel stop.

The motel here does not serve breakfast, but has a kitchen fully stocked. They told us we can use the kitchen and make our own. We have two "master chefs" from our crew lined up to cook breakfast in the am. Can't beat that!

RR

You have been hitting the weather pretty good.  It sounds like it may have even been "warm".

From the pics, it looks like there isn't a lot of snow cover as I would expect.  Is the annual snowfall less because Labrador is so far north?

Jack & Sandi

12 hours ago, RoadRunner said:

From there,  they have had a bit of trouble finding their way along the relatively unmarked and unmaintained trails. We got ahead of them yesterday somewhere , probably while we were on our "Team Maine custom coastal route".

RR

And that's why he's the Cain Quest champ. Superb navigating.

12 hours ago, RoadRunner said:

The boys from Montreal Quebec that were running a day ahead of us apparently. Said they had done fine until the grooming stopped at Red Bay lab. No problems on their ride along Cote Nord.

RR

Did those boys mention which part of Montreal they were from?

2 Years ago we met (2) guys from Montreal who were going all over using only the summer roads.  Both rode BRP.  Both had (2) GPS's each, one high for standing, 1 low for sitting.  Maybe early 60's?  Spoke almost perfect English.  Maybe met them at Windigo, I forget.  Maybe the same guys?

1 hour ago, markusvt said:

2 Years ago we met (2) guys from Montreal who were going all over using only the summer roads.  Both rode BRP.  Both had (2) GPS's each, one high for standing, 1 low for sitting.  Maybe early 60's?  Spoke almost perfect English.  Maybe met them at Windigo, I forget.  Maybe the same guys?

Markus, I don't believe this would be the two, they only have gps mid in the dash cradle on one sled. Great guys and they like to ride!