Cote Nord and Lab loop

RoadRunner

2 hours ago, Trailblazer said:

Did those boys mention which part of Montreal they were from?

I will find out, one gentlemen used to work for BRP and than went with Bombardier , just retired, the other gentlemen owns and heavy  fabrication and hydraulic business for the mobile large equipment industry.

RR

5 hours ago, revct1 said:

You have been hitting the weather pretty good.  It sounds like it may have even been "warm".

From the pics, it looks like there isn't a lot of snow cover as I would expect.  Is the annual snowfall less because Labrador is so far north?

Jack & Sandi

Revct, the snow cover is actually deep in the areas where it is not wind blown, as we move off the coast we will begin to see how deep, snow forecast for the next several days so that will change things too! The coast just gets scoured by the winds. 

RR

IMG_0553.thumb.JPG.5b0d814bb7812850aaaa0712cb63d96c.JPGIMG_0542.thumb.JPG.8819a30ab29ee89a89fbf1e1d9cb8302.JPGIMG_0537.thumb.JPG.3d178ae4455e4b32b307138ea3f1eb18.JPGWell, some people like to find the miles of the greatest white sand beaches in the world, and go in February to get to hang out on them in 80 plus degree temps, loving every minute.

There are a few that  prefer the white beach, but like the temps at about 7 above zero, and want to glide down along these white beaches for miles on end!

That kind of best describes this morning!  Fantastic!

IMG_0553.JPG

Edited by RoadRunner

Hi RR how did the paddle tracks do on that icy stuff any heating problems or hyfax troubles?? Scratchers deployed?? Glad everything is going so good so far please let us know how the 1200 did at the Dr's    Diagnosis?? Keep the posts coming we certainly enjoy them.

As I mentioned above, Today's ride was awesome as yesterday, 204 miles of winter wonderland, the first 50 miles was the bay out of Cartwright and the white beaches of Labrador. We had problems with sleds overheating on the bay, so off come the side panels for additional cooling, strap them to the rear and go, once we got to the beaches we had lube along the shore, and than the 125 mile run up Lake Melville, was hard but provided lubrication. 30 mph winds provided for white out conditions at times, but a picture perfect day to get into Goose Bay for mid afternoon. We were 1 and 1/2 hour ahead but are back now to Atlantic time. We had the cat destroy the primary clutch 40 miles out so that got towed in. We mat be here an extra day getting that resolved before we head west for Churchill. Our new additions to the group did great today. They are planning to continue on with us for the trip.

Here are some more pics of today's winter in The Big Land" ride!

Happy Trails in Goose Bay/ Happy Valley Labrador

RR

IMG_0529.JPG

IMG_0531.JPG

IMG_0533.JPG

IMG_0534.JPG

IMG_0535.JPG

IMG_0536.JPG

IMG_0538.JPG

IMG_0540.JPG

IMG_0541.JPG

IMG_0543.JPG

IMG_0544.JPG

IMG_0545.JPG

IMG_0546.JPG

IMG_0547.JPG

IMG_0548.JPG

IMG_0549.JPG

IMG_0550.JPG

IMG_0551.JPG

IMG_0552.JPG

11 minutes ago, dmccrea@twcny.rr.com said:

Hi RR how did the paddle tracks do on that icy stuff any heating problems or hyfax troubles?? Scratchers deployed?? Glad everything is going so good so far please let us know how the 1200 did at the Dr's    Diagnosis?? Keep the posts coming we certainly enjoy them.

DM, we deployed everything we had, all 4 scratchers were down on my free ride and that kept me from overheating, many of the other sleds needed all scratchers deployed and hoods off too. It was more the shorter 146 sleds that have a shorter heat exchanger. The 1200 checked out again, no failures changed , all grounds tightened, 90 miles of trouble free test riding this afternoon.  We are doubtful however.  We will get another chance tomorrow to test!

Looking fantastic!  

The only problem I see is us arm chair readers are looking at the beautiful pictures with the blue sky and we are thinking to ourselves, "I can do that.  That's just like riding down here with a little more distance between gas stops!  No problem."  

RR, you are making it seem way to easy.  Keep up the great adventure.  We hope things continue on track.  Thanks and wish we were there.

Jack & Sandi

Revct1,

This trip definitely looks easier in pictures than in person, I can personally attest to this.  This trip must be taken with extreme caution as there are vast stretches between fuel and help.  Also many challenges with sea ice shelfs and unpredictable weather.  With the proper planning and supplies it can be done.

IMG_1231.JPG

IMG_1234.JPG

IMG_1235.JPG

IMG_1237.JPG

1 hour ago, revct1 said:

Looking fantastic!  

The only problem I see is us arm chair readers are looking at the beautiful pictures with the blue sky and we are thinking to ourselves, "I can do that.  That's just like riding down here with a little more distance between gas stops!  No problem."  

RR, you are making it seem way to easy.  Keep up the great adventure.  We hope things continue on track.  Thanks and wish we were there.

Jack & Sandi

Revct, you are absolutely right, this trip probably sounds easy and trouble free.  We have had our mechanical issues, but generally great weather.  As the two boys from Quebec can attest. This is more challenging than it sounds at times. You need to be fully prepared or have a good guide and good coordinated riders.  Not to be taken lightly! 

We have both in Rob and the Team Maine riding group.  Many of us have ridden together for many years and understand Robs trips and what is expected. Put that together and you get an epic trip.

RR

On 2/27/2017 at 5:18 PM, RoadRunner said:

More pics of the ride from Marys Harbor to Black Tickle and onto Cartwright today. Lots of Sea Ice, Gorgeous scenery and Black Tickle is very special!

received_10202717307931356.jpeg

received_10202717301131186.jpeg

received_10202717305331291.jpeg

received_10202717301491195.jpeg

received_10202717300171162.jpeg

received_10202717307251339.jpeg

received_10202717310971432.jpeg

received_10202717309611398.jpeg

received_10202717309011383.jpeg

Watch out for the polar bears!

Thanks RR.

Are the locals curious about this group of sledders from the States?  Or is it just everyday life and these guys are on sleds?

Oh, I wanted to ask, when is the illustrated book coming out about the escapade?  I'll want a copy autographed of course by all the participants. :good:

Jack & Sandi

8 hours ago, RoadRunner said:

Hearded west this am to break out trail to Cache river, back in Goose again tonight. 

20170301_083747.jpg

20170301_083753.jpg

Looks a bit different than is did when we pulled out of there in 2012

IMG_1685.jpg

_MG_4373.jpg

Edited by 1500HD
add photo

6 hours ago, revct1 said:

Thanks RR.

Are the locals curious about this group of sledders from the States?  Or is it just everyday life and these guys are on sleds?

Oh, I wanted to ask, when is the illustrated book coming out about the escapade?  I'll want a copy autographed of course by all the participants. :good:

Jack & Sandi

Funny you should mention this,  CBC radio did an interview with this morning before our trail breaking run today

20170301_084618.jpg

Today,  as we had mentioned,  the trail from here to Churchill is not broken,  so we figured we would break half today,  and the better half tomorrow.  We did get 75 miles open, but it was a full day.  Different riding for sure, but a blast!  Should sleep well tonight! 

RR

20170301_162851.jpg

20170301_103155.jpg

20170301_102919.jpg

20170301_102404.jpg

20170301_090432.jpg

15 minutes ago, RoadRunner said:

Funny you should mention this,  CBC radio did an interview with this morning before our trail breaking run today

20170301_084618.jpg

That is so strange.  I was thinking last night that this post is getting so many views, there is a huge interest in what you guys are doing.

Jack & Sandi

Your breaking trail is more like what I've been expecting.  That is work!  A little different than cruising on the beach.

The video clip doesn't really show the incline of the hill your going down.  I paused the video at 16 seconds where the camera turns to the side and you get a much better image of how steep that valley is.

Jack & Sandi

16 minutes ago, revct1 said:

Your breaking trail is more like what I've been expecting.  That is work!  A little different than cruising on the beach.

The video clip doesn't really show the incline of the hill your going down.  I paused the video at 16 seconds where the camera turns to the side and you get a much better image of how steep that valley is.

Jack & Sandi

Yes rev, we got a full work up today, but as you know ,we do enjoy that too. And you are right the video does not capture that slope, once you committed, you were on gravity after that. We looked at it a long... time before committing lol!

Well RR it looks like you guys found where the snow is that was missing from the coast lol.  I would  bet that you burned a bit more gas today if it was that deep all the way.  How far to the next stop tomorrow??  I didn't find the clip of you guys going back up that hill??? Hopefully you had a route around it.  How do the Freerides do in the deep like that compared to the Expeditions??All Freerides 154??  Great trip report really appreciate all your efforts to keep us all involved from a distance..

Edited by dmccrea@twcny.rr.com

3 hours ago, Scranton1 said:

I see an easy business'entrepreneurial opportunity with a tour!

Where do you sign up for next year?

I think Rob is considering that, only problem is Cains Quest, next year, takes tons of prep and his time. If someone has time this March let him know, he will provide info or assistance as your needs might require. As you can see he is an avid rider and loves promoting Labrador and northeastern Quebec, he  will help anyone who wants info on this trip. PM me or him, "early rider" if you want more

RR

2 hours ago, dmccrea@twcny.rr.com said:

Well RR it looks like you guys found where the snow is that was missing from the coast lol.  I would that bet you burned a bit more gas today if it was that deep all the way.  How far to the next stop tomorrow??  I didn't find the clip of you guys going back up that hill??? Hopefully you had a route around it.  How do the Freerides do in the deep like that compared to the Expeditions??All Freerides 154??  Great trip report really appreciate all your efforts to keep us all involved from a distance..

We had a way around , thank goodness, the FR154 is much more nimble in the deep stuff but does not have the bull capacity of an expedition, definitely a trade off. They both have their place!