Cote Nord and Lab loop

RoadRunner

5 hours ago, Skeld said:

Does Rob tow a sled and break trail at the same time?

Yes he does, and you still cannot keep up with him. We joke about the sleigh, it has been thru Cain Quest when it was mandatory to yo drag a sleigh. It does not slow him down one bit!

1 hour ago, dmccrea@twcny.rr.com said:

RR must be really tired tonight no reports yet😎😎

It was a full day for sure, 185 miles of unbroken trail. many sleds stuck, 30 miles of ditch riding and 10 miles of trans Lab highway. But a blast still. A blue sky day this morning and some gorgeous power line running. Deep snow with now base in places, and settled snow on the wind blown areas. The Team Maine trailer and support crew provided fuel and food for the mid day as there is nothing in between. The Team Maine proto type 850 Freeride got put to its test today. It did very well!

Churchill is a company town for  the Churchill hydro power. The only civilization in central Lab.  Tomorrow off for Lab city!

RR

IMG_0555.JPG

IMG_0556.JPG

IMG_0557.JPG

IMG_0558.JPG

IMG_0559.JPG

IMG_0560.JPG

IMG_0561.JPG

IMG_0562.JPG

IMG_0563.JPG

IMG_0564.JPG

IMG_0565.JPG

IMG_0566.JPG

IMG_0567.JPG

IMG_0568.JPG

IMG_0569.JPG

IMG_0570.JPG

so is there actually some kind of trail from Goose Bay to Churchill Falls. It looks grown up but I just wondered. When we did the TLH this summer on the bikes I do remember seeing some snowmobile crossing signs

6 hours ago, viper2 said:

so is there actually some kind of trail from Goose Bay to Churchill Falls. It looks grown up but I just wondered. When we did the TLH this summer on the bikes I do remember seeing some snowmobile crossing signs

The Trans Labrador trail was an initiative started a decade or 2 ago to connect the Labrador communities and promote tourism. It has fallen onto complete disrepair in the Remote regions of Labrador. The huge runs between these villages with minimal services created obstacles that they apparently could not overcome.  It's a big shame, because this ride and experience could be enjoyed by many with a commitment to better signage and trail maintenance, even if it was similar to the white road program in Cote Nord, where they use smaller more nimble machines to do the trail with, it would be awesome.

The scenert,people and hospitality in this region is second to none.  Just really great people!

The Trans Lab, Quebec loop would also take coordination between both Quebec FCMQ and Lab to make a success. That can be difficult too. 

Maybe it will come back sometime with a coordinated effort. Tourism is such an important part of local economies today.

It should be noted that some sections of trail activity are being done nicely. Fremont Quebec, to Lab city to Esker siding Lab are maintained on a regular basis, Goose Bay maintains an active schedule of grooming too. And the trail from Blanc Sablon thru too Red Bay are maintained.  Sections that would need attention are Red Bay to Goose Bay approx 400 miles, and . West of Goose Bay to Esker siding. Approx 220 miles of that section would need to be brought back into service. RR

9 minutes ago, Red Rooster said:

Whoa! 10 miles of TLH??? Maybe for some of you LOL. I may have run 3 miles if you added all the bits together.......

One of us did more ditch banging than others, but the ditch banging the rest of us did behind you was a blast Red Rooster!

It was -15F this morning in Churchill with a stiff northwest wind, putting wind chill numbers way down. We dressed accordingly and headed out. It was 120 miles up the Esker road from Churchill to Esker siding.  This road was built back when Churchill dam was constructed in the late 1960s. At that time no 500 road existed, so the only way to get construction equipment into the dam site was over this 100 mile road to Churchill. The Schefferville Sept Isle train unloaded the trucks, turbines,  trailers and construction equipment to be hauled in over this road.

In Churchill , which is a company town, for the power station,  the town center is like Mall village. The grocery store, school, hotel and restaurant and shops are all located in this company facility. Kind of neat.IMG_0571.JPG.2d9434f14ce050ba69d106b2ff44c195.JPGIMG_0580.thumb.JPG.a172b07c49447e3073927e8973aa2da4.JPGIMG_0581.thumb.JPG.a404e19143dda80783d8ef07bb5400d1.JPGIMG_0579.thumb.JPG.99e41e6664e7ef5815581a9cef3c5f4a.JPGIMG_0578.thumb.JPG.c68f1291e2044e4d98be580f165a6a86.JPGIMG_0576.thumb.JPG.249878d8e008c682abf671074bd17f39.JPGIMG_0575.thumb.JPG.2f745b00a73b263c7c19137949d9db98.JPGIMG_0572.JPG.3e2f3ab241ab9fb891eb5ba0dc137abf.JPGIMG_0573.thumb.JPG.02aaa81f3e3f17a67845af2c002d5f3c.JPGIMG_0574.thumb.JPG.f50dc689e4344a2327393b79cd8c9991.JPG

Today, It is not groomed but was fun to ride and imagine the activity 50 years ago. One of the structures for water control is pictured below. We stopped at Esker siding and got a fire going in the warming hut. Spent an hour thawing out gear than off to Lab City where Rob's wife Tina cooked us all an awesome home cooked meal of Baked ham, Mac and cheese, potatoes, green beans and muitiple types of salads and Rolls and deserts.  Wow that was awesome after ten days on the trail. A down day to tomorrow with minor sled adjustments and than off bright and early Sunday for Gabriel Quebec, near Manicougan reservoir.

5 hours ago, Skeld said:

Good history.  Wondered the significance of Esker for awhile but that makes sense now.

Yes Skeld, I enjoy hearing about the history of how things developed both here in the Canada wilderness and our own North Maine Woods. Great stuff.  You mentioned the alders and brush that have grown into the TLT trail system that is no longer active. It's unfortunate, many of the warming huts that were placed along this network are also in disrepair. 100's of miles of grown in trails.

We were pleasantly greeted at Esker siding by the White Wolf snowmobile club trail system, maintained to perfection all the way to Lab City. The best trail conditions we have encountered in Lab. Compliments to this club!!

The riding is great but the history behind the villages adds purpose and flavor to what the townspeople went thru for the good of all.  Hats off to all that are on the ride for the really fantastic reports and pics.  It is very enjoyable being on the back of the sled with you.

Jack & Sandi

Learning oh so much from you all here with this thread. What a ride. Very sad about the TLT. Maybe someday they will put it back together. I can only imagine the logistics of such a route through the "big land". Unbelievable really. But one can hope, for us that prefer more maintained trails anyway. 

I have no clue what a Cains Quest is like but have major respect for those that take it on. Let alone to win it. My Havre St. Pierre Quest was adventure enough for me. For Now........

say hello to all your gang. Hope to meet them all someday. 

I think Road Road runner this would be a great trip to write about plus the pictures would be great in Snow Goer magazine! It would be one of the best stories in a while for the magazine ! I think a lot of other people would enjoy reading about this other than QR readers! 

Edited by snowfarmer