First Ride with Team Iceman

iceman

Day 4 Thursday

Cloudy but not raining as we leave La Tuque. We put some extra oil into the gas and it's out of our hands. qui sera sera. We are off. Met a gang of 4 from Ontario, they got trucked to Perce and left from there to ride back to Ontario. They were not very chatty as I would not have been either knowing where they were trying to get back to. Gonna be a wet few days for them. Oh well. Part of the game. Down to 355 and trail is very nice not shabby at all. We cruise on down and to pipeline section. Rougher here and showing some issues, waterholes opening up big. Lots of sinkholes.  Nick is chugging on. We easily make it to St Joseph and might as well be my house cause this is my back yard. As far as i'm concerned we made it. We scrape through and down 360 to 23 surprisingly not rough but getting thin. Lije this on the big hill on the new section of 360

DSC04856.JPG.0a8617a826d97973ded6423847fcb4df.JPG

we run 23 through St Tite and very nice trail here. To M-5 and all good to Lac a Tortue. Still going the old MXZ 600. Gas and down to TQ3 of course here my club has abandoned the ship. Rough is complimentary. It was like a bomb went off. Worst shit almost of the week. Yeah, welcome home Iceman, Junk. We beat our way through Shawinigan Sud and on to Mont Carmel. I'm urinating blood now but we made it. That bad. Doctor says its temporary. Into driveway at 12:00. KwikNick made it 240 miles it ran on 1 cylinder. As i back my sled up to put it in garage the skies opened up. We made just in time. We get situated, changed and got both Doo's loaded in trailer. Time to see tge doctor. Off to Clement Moto in Louiseville. We head on in and i Chat with Clement the owner. Explsin our issues and he says been seeing lots of reverse issues like we have with the enduro. Problems with servo getting hot because of burs on reverse gear. Won't go in reverse heats up servo motor and repeat. We leave both sleds for surgery and back to Relais Ice in a full blown deluge. Relaxing now and soon its off to watch Mrs. Ice and her team kick some ass at dek hockey. 

All in all a good 4 days saw all and then some rode 950 miles and though it was cut short judging by the weather things happen for a reason. I do not need to ride in the rain. No merci. 

Nick had a great time and will be back. He gained the most import thing some real experience. 

950 miles in 3.5 days actually. 

DSC04859.JPG.e445e14e8cdee61fc8d8d9ba47c31393.JPG

Thank you again Ice for this real time entertaining ride report, your good narration make us live a part of your ride, nice as candy to read.

Glad to read the sdi made it home... the enduro reverse seems a current problem, my partner Snowcruiser had to go to the dealer twice for this trouble in the last month.

:drinks:

Alain

Great read there Iceman, very entertaining to say the least ! Good to see you guys made it all the way back. A whole lot of lessons for Kwik Nick. What kind of miles on the SDI ? And year ?

Thanks 

15 minutes ago, towing said:

Thank you again Ice for this real time entertaining ride report, your good narration make us live a part of your ride, nice as candy to read.

Glad to read the sdi made it home... the enduro reverse seems a current problem, my partner Snowcruiser had to go to the dealer twice for this trouble in the last month.

:drinks:

Alain

Yes Alain, I am glad you enjoy reading, i wish i took more pictures but I just don't stop that much. I love your reports of course as well jammed with info and such nice pictures. Super job always both you and the mrs. 

Yes the reverse has had american dealer twice, now it will be fixed for real by real mechanics who know snowmobiles. The Québécois ones. Very frustrating. Apparently is happening to many machines. 

3 minutes ago, Pipemaster said:

Great read there Iceman, very entertaining to say the least ! Good to see you guys made it all the way back. A whole lot of lessons for Kwik Nick. What kind of miles on the SDI ? And year ?

Thanks 

Thanks so much..

The SDI is a 2007 with 20k on it but she has been well cared for. She has a history as the former ride of NHmoose himself. Lots of new pieces. 

3 hours ago, Snobeeler said:

Great report as usual Ice, and you still crack me up sometimes with your spot on comments.

"I'm urinating blood now but we made it. That bad. Doctor says its temporary"

Ha, it was disastrous the ride through shawinigan sud to here. 

It's true

4 minutes ago, iceman said:

Yes Alain, I am glad you enjoy reading, i wish i took more pictures but I just don't stop that much. I love your reports of course as well jammed with info and such nice pictures. Super job always both you and the mrs. 

Yes the reverse has had american dealer twice, now it will be fixed for real by real mechanics who know snowmobiles. The Québécois ones. Very frustrating. Apparently is happening to many machines. 

At least I can tell You Clement Moto in Louiseville had some experience in trying to fix reverse because it is there Snowcruiser goes... frustrating but can be worse. At least it does not stuck in reverse, can add some challenge to complete a ride!!!  :help:

10 minutes ago, towing said:

At least I can tell You Clement Moto in Louiseville had some experience in trying to fix reverse because it is there Snowcruiser goes... frustrating but can be worse. At least it does not stuck in reverse, can add some challenge to complete a ride!!!  :help:

I told Clement it was already at dealer twice. It's not the relay. He say the gear gets burs on it and needs to be ground down. I am confident. 

We will see

That's a lot of miles on one cylinder, that's determination guys. I bet Kwik Nick still got 40 or 50 mph out of her still.

Also for a 2 stroke engine that old with out any rebuild work done to it I would highly recommend and suggest to the dealer to do a leak test. 

Won't say who but you know who you are did the same thing 'bout 12 yrs ago on the same kind of sled and got a tow behind my RX1 through the pipeline. Ahh snowmobiling memories, Kwik Nick is just getting started, 'lot more coming.

Just now, Trailblazer said:

That's a lot of miles on one cylinder, that's determination guys. I bet Kwik Nick still got 40 or 50 mph out of her still.

Also for a 2 stroke engine that old with out any rebuild work done to it I would highly recommend and suggest to the dealer to do a leak test. 

Won't say who but you know who you are did the same thing 'bout 12 yrs ago on the same kind of sled and got a tow behind my RX1 through the pipeline. Ahh snowmobiling memories, Kwik Nick is just getting started, 'lot more coming.

She has had lots of rebuilds. Last at 6k ago. Lots of new parts. The kid had a blast. kwiknick is a rider. 

Yes sir.

1 hour ago, Trailblazer said:

Guess I'll never get past this.  Lol. Still rememberthe intersection where you yanked my front bumper off the sled and rode away... we won't talk about that ice patch going up hill or those 90 miles of towing...

The other cylinder,  in my case, lasted beyond 16000km.  The first was replaced at 3000km, all due to an improper inspection during a PDI.  

1 hour ago, iceman said:

She has had lots of rebuilds. Last at 6k ago. Lots of new parts. The kid had a blast. kwiknick is a rider. 

Yes sir.

If taken care of, it's a solid engine.  Too bad the chassis doesn't last and needs care as well

On 2/23/2017 at 10:19 PM, iceman said:

Yes sir.

Great to see some younger folks coming along in the sport. Kudos to his parents and to you Don for providing positive and supportive experiences for Nick. Lots of 'teachable moments' there. There are so many barriers to entry for the next generation getting into this sport. We all know most of them so I won't recap. I know my son loved his trips to Quebec as a teen but now doesn' seem to have the time or $$ to go. Maybe someday - :spiteful:

The chasis "looks" mint in spite of the 20k you say it has. My neighbor, NHmoose evidently took great care of her. Those engines had a number of issues which BRP addressed with different rings, pistons, etc. Sounds like she is at a first class shop but I would still consider a crated short block replacement instead of a rebuild - assuming the rest of the sled is good enough to justify spending the $$. The bottom end would be suspect now too in my mind since missing pieces from the top end are likely down there somewhere and will come back to haunt down the trail. 

Great , very entertaining  and interesting report - as usual!

Edited by vt_bluyamaha54