Conditions for trip

Js12ren

37 minutes ago, iceman said:

Again, nice job to work out your escape. Hat's off to the Ladies. Gaspe is challenging with good weather. My first trip to Gaspe we got as far as Matane from RDL. Then the "snowpocalypse" started 3 days there. 

Regroup, re-tool the return. 

We will for sure and thanks. We where talking about next year before we even left RDL to go home. I have to give her the credit for the rescue mission plans she made cause I hadn't gave up on the sled yet. I was ready to remove thermostat housing, tie it open and source some hose clamps to put it back together but after she presented the options, we all decided it was for the best to tow them home. Are Kia coming off lol  oh and that had minimal brakes  pedal went to floor if you pushed pedal hard enoughIMG_0273.JPG.4eac3a7b79d22b4332d23d1f99697525.JPG

Edited by SkippyDoo

I always thought that would be one of the places I hope I would never break down in and have to try and get home from . Good on ya for great problem solving. That flatbed/ rental car idea is going in my " I wish I thought of that but will next time" stranded with a group book!

2 hours ago, iceman said:

Last question, 

how dirty were those sleds when they got to RDL?  That's a long way on the open flat bed. 

37 minutes ago, Pipeman said:

Ha! Funny stuff I was going to ask the same question. Hope he has a pic of them

Ha funny, just got done washing them. Not as bad as I thought. Just a light haze of salt spray on the front. They cleaned up easily. The truck and trailer where cleaner than usual when we got home too. Her windshield on the Cat didn't much like the highway speeds. Only 2 screws left holding it on. The others pulled the rubber grommets off. Much further and it woulda flew off. 

I also gotta say good job to Klim, FXR, and the Skidoo Absolute Zero gear ( or who ever makes their stuff ). After riding through that monsoon in the mountains for the better part of 100 miles, everything stayed dry, all the electronics survived. Pockets where dry.  And everything was dry by morning, even the saddle bags. Packing everything in zip lock bags and water proof bags worked and only my tshirt was a little damp. So we where able to put on nice dry clothes for dinner. Everybody was mostly dry on the trail, only a few minor issues with water getting in. And we weren't wasting any time either. We where running 60 plus mph up 595 in a down pour. It sucked, not gonna lie. But wouldn't trade the experience for anything. It was a hell of a ride albeit a shortened one. I'll never forget this one. 

In all seriousness I'm glad it worked out for all of you, it was a great plan she came  up with. And like you stated you will never forget this trip snowmobiling never fails to leave memories, always an adventure  👍

The Gaspe claims another 2 stroke victim! I have lost 2 there myself.First was a DNF and the second was repaired but then had to turn tail and try to beat the rain that took out all the snow. Only made it to St Ulrich just south of Matane til we ran out of snow.Had a local give a couple of us a ride back to berniers to get the trailers and go back to get the rest of the crew .The first one I took a 10 hour bus ride from Rimouski to Sherbrooke and then a taxi to Stanstead to get my truck and trailer.Talk about a long boring ride.

We should start a Gaspe 2 stroke Mort post.

30 minutes ago, NSHM said:

The Gaspe claims another 2 stroke victim! I have lost 2 there myself.First was a DNF and the second was repaired but then had to turn tail and try to beat the rain that took out all the snow. Only made it to St Ulrich just south of Matane til we ran out of snow.Had a local give a couple of us a ride back to berniers to get the trailers and go back to get the rest of the crew .The first one I took a 10 hour bus ride from Rimouski to Sherbrooke and then a taxi to Stanstead to get my truck and trailer.Talk about a long boring ride.

Here's a link to a few 2 smoke deaths on the Gaspe!

http://www.quebecrider.com/forums/index.php?/topic/3794-gaspesien-adventures/

21 hours ago, doo4adoo said:

perhaps you could post the contact info for the flat bed & rental so we can put it in our contacts, just in case...

Thanks

Mike

I don't have the info sorry. I usually collect that sorta stuff too. The truck was from St Anne Des Monts. That's what was on the door. And we stopped at an Esso in St Anne for a driver change so that Esso was probably home base. Who knows where the car came from. I'm thinking a shop loaner car. But it was in desperate need of brakes. Maybe a customers car that they hadn't fixed yet lol. It was Quebec and any thing is possible up there. 

1 hour ago, NSHM said:

I will be making the switch to 4 stroke next year. After running 595 and hearing that tic Toc while getting rained on I get it now. But I do like my little etec. They have been good to me. Sled is at dealer now. He says it was conditions. Well maybe but I do know I have been riding etec's/sdi in the 600 class since they where invented and if it had been conditions I would have been the last one to overheat. There are many reasons I ride those and that's one of them. It's gotta be really bad to make them overheat. And the first sign of snow the temp comes down immediately. Nobody else was overheating. Nobody I talked to at the copper was having problems either. I have seen much harder trails than what we where on that morning.  Getting sled in loose snow which there is plenty of wasn't helping. And the 2 stroke Cat we towed it back with never went over 152. Kick a ski in the snow and it promptly went down to 130. We unloaded the gear, packed top of tunnel with snow and still got hot. Put the flap right down on the ground. Nothing helped. It would just slowly climb until the light came on. I saw no reason to push it into to limp mode. It acts to me like the Tstat was stuck in a partial open position and it couldn't control the heat. 2 weeks prior in excellent conditions in Vermont it was running at 3 bars which is kinda cool. It usually stays on 4 bars no matter what. I will wait to see what they say tomorrow. 

3 hours ago, SkippyDoo said:

I will be making the switch to 4 stroke next year. After running 595 and hearing that tic Toc while getting rained on I get it now. But I do like my little etec. They have been good to me. Sled is at dealer now. He says it was conditions. Well maybe but I do know I have been riding etec's/sdi in the 600 class since they where invented and if it had been conditions I would have been the last one to overheat. There are many reasons I ride those and that's one of them. It's gotta be really bad to make them overheat. And the first sign of snow the temp comes down immediately. Nobody else was overheating. Nobody I talked to at the copper was having problems either. I have seen much harder trails than what we where on that morning.  Getting sled in loose snow which there is plenty of wasn't helping. And the 2 stroke Cat we towed it back with never went over 152. Kick a ski in the snow and it promptly went down to 130. We unloaded the gear, packed top of tunnel with snow and still got hot. Put the flap right down on the ground. Nothing helped. It would just slowly climb until the light came on. I saw no reason to push it into to limp mode. It acts to me like the Tstat was stuck in a partial open position and it couldn't control the heat. 2 weeks prior in excellent conditions in Vermont it was running at 3 bars which is kinda cool. It usually stays on 4 bars no matter what. I will wait to see what they say tomorrow. 

Rain and snowmobiling should never happen together but your group made the best of it and without question, the rental car delivered on the rollback was genius. 

Will be interested to hear the final word on your cooling problem. If snow packed on the running boards didn't make any change, it has to be a circulation problem. Water pump, thermostat, or a blockage not allowing the coolant to move through the chassis. 

25 minutes ago, vt_bluyamaha54 said:

Rain and snowmobiling should never happen together but your group made the best of it and without question, the rental car delivered on the rollback was genius. 

Will be interested to hear the final word on your cooling problem. If snow packed on the running boards didn't make any change, it has to be a circulation problem. Water pump, thermostat, or a blockage not allowing the coolant to move through the chassis. 

I did take the cap off and ran it. Water was flowing back into the reservoir. There was pressure too so that's a good sign it wasn't leaking either but coolant was full. The heat exchangers where getting hot so water was def flowing. My gauge will display actual engine temp. When I started it this evening at dealer it read the same as ambient air temp so likely not a sensor. The only thing left is the thermostat. Dealer says they have never changed one on an etec so who knows. They claim conditions, but if that where true I would have been overheating the whole way there. Trails where hard packed when we left RDL. Hard sn icy when we left PALC. Snow was not building in the tunnel like they usually do. And it was warmer than I like. But it never ran more than 4 bars on the temp gauge.  I did not have scratchers on. So shame on me. That won't happen again. But usually don't need them up there in Feb. But after running the sled half in the snow on the side of the trail the best I could, and that didn't work, scratchers wouldn't have made much difference I don't believe. Se what they say but I'm thinking they are putting a Tstat in it. 

I'm with you on the conditions not being the cause. No one else had issues plus cooling the running boards should have relieved it if it was truly not getting sufficient snow. Since the 'stat would affect flow/circulation (it acts like a valve), if bad (stuck shut), you should have seen little to no flow. My money is on something else. Were you running 91 fuel? If no, it could have been detonation caused heating(?) Head gasket/base gasket letting combustion superheat the coolant? Dealer should be able to pressure test to determine engine-to-coolant leakage.
Good luck with it.

Edited by vt_bluyamaha54