Looking for some good advice

Byrd

Hi Byrd and welcome to QuebecRider.

Our first Garmin was a Nuvi 550 I purchased in 2011.  I had a handle bar ram mount and it worked very good.  This past Christmas Sandi received a Garmin Zumo 660LM.  We like this one better.  It has a larger screen and snaps into the cradle power supply so you don't have the power cord dangling.  The Zumo also has more info such as altitude that the Nuvi doesn't.  In the truck the Zumo shows which lane to get in for interstate junctions / exits that the Nuvi didn't.

We mounted it on the glove box extension for the Renegade.  This keeps it away from trail side branches.  It is also easier to view since it is directly in front of the driver.  It was on sale for $350.00 from GPSCity.com.  We use the free Tilou and Biscuit trail maps.

If you haven't already, read thru the thread for GPS units.

Jack & Sandi

I'm running a Garmin 2797, this is the second year. It's the size of a tablet, 7" screen, perfect for my eyesight. I can finally read it without glasses. These units are around $200.00. Pretty cheap for a brand new unit. It's also very good in the truck.

I never thought I would like a NUVI but I am very happy with it. They are a little bit harder to mount because they are heavy, and they are really meant for automobiles. All my trail maps work in it though. Expect to get creative mounting it  to keep it from bouncing.

A Zumo is going to cost twice as much, but can certainly do more with tracks, but it you don't take the time to learn how to use the features they can't help you. I loved my old 60CSX but I can't read it without glasses, so now it is for back up only.

It boils down to how much you want to spend, and how much effort you want to put into mounting and learning the features.

A good way to get started would be to get an entire second hand set up with maps and everything from someone that is upgrading.

Once you have a GPS on you sled you won't ride without it. 

I have a Montana 650T mounted on the glove box extension of my 850. I been using the Montana for a few seasons & really like it. It doesn't have the largest screen but overall all it works well. I was considering getting the new Zumo from SD but decided against it since I already own 4 GPS. I'm glad I didn't as my Tempe temperature sensor isn't compatible with the Zumo.

32 minutes ago, Byrd said:

How did you find out it wasn't compatible with your temperature  sensor?? 

The only accessory listed for the 590 is the tire pressure monitor https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/145273#accessories

This is the list of fitness sensors for the 650T https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/75228#accessories

Stick with a model meant for outdoors that can get wet, snow and such.  None of the auto models do this.  

If you are wanting to just see the trails and do mild routing, the Zumo is very nice for the cost.  If you want to do more routing and detailed the Montana is nice and way, way, way more powerful.  I have the 276cx, overkill for most folks.