Not one but two...wtf...

182ray

So Ginger & I got an early start on our last trip to paradise. The miles were passing by quickly & we were on the 20 east bound just before the Madrid exit when Ginger (she was driving) said "oh no we have a flat tire" next thing we heard a pop & now we have two flats on the driver side. She quickly slowed & pulled to shoulder which saved the wheels & fender from damage.

The first thing I do is call AAA which goes to CAA. A very nice English speaking representative tells me the trailer isn't covered but she can still send a rollback. Ok great, she even stays on the line in case she has to translate. Translation is not necessary as the rollback person speaks English & says the truck will be there in 30 minutes. So as were waiting soon there's a woman at the drivers side door asking if we need help. We respond we're OK there's a rollback on the way. She then informs us she's from a trailer dealership less than 3 miles away. Then we notice there's 2 guys with here already verifying the tire size. I have them write their information down & when the rollback shows up I tell the driver take us here. For sure it's not very far & we realize we have seen this place the numerous times we have driven on the 20. Once there the rollback driver says he doesn't want to tilt the bed & risk the trailer falling off because the rollback is almost too narrow for the trailer. No problem since the dealership has a large fork lift for unloading trailers. In my mind I need two tires but Ginger says four, so four it is. The workers roll out the Quebec hospitality & soon we're enjoying some fresh coffee & snacks. Next thing we know they tell us it's all done & ready to go. We pay the bill & pull around to hook up the trailer. It's then we realize they also washed the trailer!!!

The screen shot of Google maps shows a red pin & a blue dot. The red pin is where we stopped & the blue dot is the dealership.

I've been towing trailers since I was 18 & this is the first time I've had one flat let alone two!!!

So if you're on the 20 near Madrid & need service for your trailer I can highly recommend Remorque LeBlanc.

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender(5).jpg

FullSizeRender(6).jpg

FullSizeRender(7).jpg

FullSizeRender(8).jpg

Edited by 182ray

1 minute ago, Cnc said:

That's a bummer. Were you maybe running low tire pressure?, side walls on both tires look like they self destructed.

No I checked the pressure before we left.

I don't know if it could be the cause but that's the side carrying the heavy four stoke.....

2 minutes ago, iceman said:

Pretty close to me. I know right where this is. Bummer man, looks like you are well taken care of. Definately need 2 spares at least. 

safe trip the rest of the way.

Yeah it sucks it happened but if it had to happen I would say it happened at the perfect place & time.

3 minutes ago, 182ray said:

Yeah it sucks it happened but if it had to happen I would say it happened at the perfect place & time.

Yup, could have been a much worse place, the bridge in QC city or up near L'Etape.  I'd say for sure perfect place and time. You got lucky.

6 hours ago, Cnc said:

That's a bummer. Were you maybe running low tire pressure?, side walls on both tires look like they self destructed.

I'd be willing to bet it's because they are cheap fucking shitty Chinese trailer tires which in Ohio is what every new trailer manufactured in Elkhart , Indiana comes equipped with! Trump needs to step up to the plate and ban the importation of these flaming health hazards! Being the owner of 3 dual axle trailers I can honestly tell you that I've been dealing with this problem since  I bought my first trailer in 2003. Good luck finding an American made trailer tire, perhaps you had better luck with finding something manufactured in Canada! Fuck China!!,,

7 hours ago, Miles long said:

I'd be willing to bet it's because they are cheap fucking shitty Chinese trailer tires which in Ohio is what every new trailer manufactured in Elkhart , Indiana comes equipped with! Trump needs to step up to the plate and ban the importation of these flaming health hazards! Being the owner of 3 dual axle trailers I can honestly tell you that I've been dealing with this problem since  I bought my first trailer in 2003. Good luck finding an American made trailer tire, perhaps you had better luck with finding something manufactured in Canada! Fuck China!!,,

I do agree that trailer tires like Carlisle brand are cheap and maybe that was the cause but especially in smaller diameter tires where they rotate faster than the vehicle tires, running tire pressure too low is the number one cause of side wall overheating and self destruction from excessive flexing. That is why I asked. I have been running boat and snowmobile trailers since the early 70's and have had my share of tire issues no matter the brand or place of manufacture till I learned to run them at the pressure marked on the tire usually 65+ pounds for less than full size tires. In the case of 182ray, his wheels look to be a standard size, 15,16 inch rim so I do imagine that if that is the case he was not limited to cheap imports in replacements. In the smaller rim diameter sizes most brand name tire manufactures walked away from that segment of the market years ago and left it to cheap tire companies.

Load Star is the way to go, the Carlisle my trailer came with lasted about 500 miles. Triton now comes with Load Star's, I carry two extra's anyway...

And yes I've changed a tire along side 87 freezing, ect, ect... no fun.

Glad it worked out for you Ray.

7 hours ago, Miles long said:

absolutely no question about the cheap tires, I own a tire store right off interstate 90 in Massachusetts and see this almost daily. we buy from 5 or 6 different warehouses and manufacturers and they all supply us with Chinese trailer tires, it is very hard to find a dependable supply of quality American made trailer tires these days, especially 13 thru 16 inch sizes, everyone wants wally world, low price junk, you really do need 2 spares to go on the highway and most do not have even 1!!

Glad to hear it all went as best it could. Gotta love trailer issues. 2 years ago we had the axle come right off and wedge itself at rear of trailer smoking tires because they were wedged under bed of trailer. This happened on the 20 raised roadway in Montreal. This place took us right in and after some nice weld work were on our way in 4 hours. 

IMG_1933M.jpg

IMG_1933N.jpg

8 minutes ago, iceman said:

This "trailering" is a foreign language to me. Sounds like fun. 

We could start a thread on the problems we have had over the years. Be careful Don, by the pics you posted the other day, you might need to trailer.

Hope you don't mind this hijack of your thread Ray but your trailer story is bringing back some memories LOL. This is what happened to us coming home in 2008. The first picture is priceless, my buddy looking at what was left 15 seconds after getting rear ended.

IMG_0612.JPG

IMG_0613.JPG

IMG_0615.JPG

IMG_0616.JPG

Edited by Snobeeler

8 hours ago, Miles long said:

Please don't hold back tell us how you really feel...lol

The original tires from the factory were Goodyear's made in New Zealand. I've never been to New Zealand but it sure seems like a great place. When I replaced the original tires in December 2014 I bought the same ones but instead of being made in New Zealand or some other non-communist country now they were made in CHINA!!! Thanks Goodyear!!!

Unfortunately the ones Remorque LeBlanc sold me are also made in CHINA!!!

1 hour ago, Cnc said:

I do agree that trailer tires like Carlisle brand are cheap and maybe that was the cause but especially in smaller diameter tires where they rotate faster than the vehicle tires, running tire pressure too low is the number one cause of side wall overheating and self destruction from excessive flexing. That is why I asked. I have been running boat and snowmobile trailers since the early 70's and have had my share of tire issues no matter the brand or place of manufacture till I learned to run them at the pressure marked on the tire usually 65+ pounds for less than full size tires. In the case of 182ray, his wheels look to be a standard size, 15,16 inch rim so I do imagine that if that is the case he was not limited to cheap imports in replacements. In the smaller rim diameter sizes most brand name tire manufactures walked away from that segment of the market years ago and left it to cheap tire companies.

See my post above. I bought Goodyears never thinking they would be made in CHINA.

3 minutes ago, Snobeeler said:

Hope you don't mind this hijack of your thread Ray but your trailer story is bringing back some memories LOL. This is what happened to us coming home in 2008. The first picture is priceless, my buddy looking at what was left 15 seconds after getting rear ended.

IMG_0612.JPG

IMG_0613.JPG

IMG_0615.JPG

IMG_0616.JPG

Trailer stories yes, but you should be ashamed of yourself showing a pic of that poor sled in misery upside down on the road.😄 Hope there were no serious injuries.

About 5 years ago my sled died on the way to Mont Laurier. We left it at a small garage to pick it up the next day and I rode home the 4 hours on the back of my brothers sled. Right there is a story and I have a new respect for my wife and his for willingly riding on the back of a sled! 

When we picked up the disabled sled, there was a few guys hanging around the garage that helped load the sled on my trailer and once we dragged it up the bed, one of them said I'll get the pin and  grabbed Ithe tilt pin out of the bed of my truck. Off we go Down highway 309 and what I did not know or check was that the pin was NOT properly in place.  after a while I could feel the trailer swaying and thought it was windy, Moment I slowed to pull over and check the trailer, the draw bar snapped, the trailer tried to pass the truck, then flipped twice ejecting the sled on the second flip before leaving the sled in the middle of the highway crushed and bruised then it took to the bush. All this I saw in slow motion in the rear view mirror! Long story short, lucky no car was in sight in either direction when it happened and we got a flat bed towing to bring both sled and trailer to first a Polaris dealer and then a Trailer repair place in Mont Laurier. The SQ meet us at the dealer's to take the accident report. $3000 damage to the sled and $800 for the trailer. I have no pics nor do I want any of that dam day. Also I now never rely on some one else's  word when it comes to trailers.

2 hours ago, Trailblazer said:

2 Spares are good but you still have to change them on the side of the road. Rollback, trailer dealer with coffee and snacks is the way to change a trailer tire or 2.

Someone is looking out for you Ray.

It would have been really sketchy changing tires on the shoulder of the 20 especially with it being on the drivers side.

I did notice a truck parked about a half mile before us with the big flashing arrow directing people into the left lane.

Besides AAA I also have roadside assistance from On Star & the insurance company. It just so happens I called AAA first. I considered calling the others to see what was included in their plans but I wanted to get off the highway not play let's make a deal. lol

8 minutes ago, 182ray said:

See my post above. I bought Goodyears never thinking they would be made in CHINA.

http://www.easternmarine.com/em_store/trailertires/?gclid=COb5oJSTrtICFdyFswodAUoIew 

Ray these folks have a vast selection call and ask country of origin, fast friendly service.

1 hour ago, Snobeeler said:

IMG_0612.JPG

IMG_0613.JPG

IMG_0615.JPG

IMG_0616.JPG

No problem Jay is that a wide track sled upside down?