A Sad Day for Yamaha...

iceman

2 hours ago, iceman said:

I know I am spoiled, i got no problems admitting that. I have much higher expectations every time i ride. For guys who ride south of the border then anything up here is great. For me not so much. I'm a trail connoisseur. 

If I lived up there I probably would be pickier on what I ride on too. I go to LaCabanon a lot for short trips not because trails are great but because it's close, I can get up there after work and gain a day of riding instead of driving. But If Skidoo closed its doors tomorrow,  I would ride something else be it green, red or blue. If all I could have was my 1976 Polaris Colt 250 back, you can bet I would be  riding it. I had some riding buddies  that where brand loyal AC guys years ago that bailed when the Rev took over and the Firecat didn't live up to the hype. They hated Skidoo so much they quit the sport. I never understood that. All that being said, that 900 ace is an awesome trail sled if you can get past the lack of hp. 

On 2/27/2017 at 3:42 PM, Teet F8SP said:

The Apex is fine if you stay on paved trails sitting down, seen so many burried apex within feet of the trail just sunk and they are Heavy, almost need a tow truck if stuck with bags on...  Many friends that have had them will never go back after riding the new chassis. 

To each their own; some would never get their butt of the seat even to fart, some would prefer to rarely sit down, some do a bit of both... Each riding style has a different type of sled style better meant for their likings...  

Maybe the problem with yamaha is their branding for sleds has gone down since disappearing from the popular snocross racing market for past several years.  The younger generations miss the whole concept of a pristine fit and finish and build quality that has been the norm with Yamaha, they just want the sled with the monster logo on the windshield somewhere that matches Hibbert or Lavalle...  They also miss out on the two stroke market which is still well over 50% of the total market I would guess. 

Lol I prefer paved trails sitting down. Seriously though I do wonder when I see a group go by in the opposite direction all standing up on a perfectly groomed trail.... Is the seat too hard or what?

Isn't the whole Idea to stay on the trail? So burying it means your doing it wrong. Yes it happens, but not very often. At least for me. 

Standing up....ha. That is funny. Why would I want to stand up? Trail riders don't stand up. That's for Johnny off trail with his backpack and his Go-Pro(usually straight up on helmet). Screw that.

I do stand up. Only when I stop and need to get off my sled, say to get gas or pee. 

Edited by iceman

Regardless of the brand, I  spend a lot of time at one hotel during the winter and see way too many people returning from saddlebagging on a flatbed due to a breakdown, or asking the location of a dealer due to sled problems. This is insane that sleds have been around for more than 50 years and are still having so many problems and so many parts that fail way too soon. I have had sleds in the 70's and 80's that were more dependable than some of today's sleds.

mike

8 hours ago, viper2 said:

Lol I prefer paved trails sitting down. Seriously though I do wonder when I see a group go by in the opposite direction all standing up on a perfectly groomed trail.... Is the seat too hard or what?

I am agile and in good shape so its easy to stand up from sitting down...  Sitting down is 60/40 for me, I am more of a stander than a sitter because I ride a different style.  Not about the seat its about having fun doing what you enjoy which is a lot of the time standing up and leaning around with the sled in much more control than anyone sitting down.  Not trying to be a snocross racer but it is funny watching the butt riders in a kidney bleeder section.  

8 hours ago, iceman said:

Isn't the whole Idea to stay on the trail? So burying it means your doing it wrong. Yes it happens, but not very often. At least for me. 

Standing up....ha. That is funny. Why would I want to stand up? Trail riders don't stand up. That's for Johnny off trail with his backpack and his Go-Pro(usually straight up on helmet). Screw that.

I do stand up. Only when I stop and need to get off my sled, say to get gas or pee. 

You know when they try to get off the trail to park, thats not doing wrong its being safe but thats where I see a lot of the heavy sleds get stuck.

I am 36 not 16 and I stand up a lot, I don't wear a back pack but I have to admit my jacket pockets are usually full of jerky and candy so maybe I should...  Sometimes its nice to video your adventures with a camera or go pro, for me its all for memories with my father and I so I enjoy getting him on film.  I get your point though because I see that most of the jackasses on the trials (or off illegally) have these two things and probably standing up.  I get put in to their category if I stand up and ride responsibly so its just how it is and I get it but still not changing my style but maybe you'll understand when you see me going by standing up on a groomed trail...

Only Stand up to pee, hahaha now thats funny!! 

Yes you are definitely more in control going down the trail at 75 mph standing up. Said no one ever lol. Hey to each his own but if you are more comfortable and feel more in control standing up 60% of the time on the trails in Quebec than I am sorry but there is something wrong with your sled

16 hours ago, mikerider said:

Regardless of the brand, I  spend a lot of time at one hotel during the winter and see way too many people returning from saddlebagging on a flatbed due to a breakdown, or asking the location of a dealer due to sled problems. This is insane that sleds have been around for more than 50 years and are still having so many problems and so many parts that fail way too soon. I have had sleds in the 70's and 80's that were more dependable than some of today's sleds.

mike

Amen. Boy is that the truth. For the money they cost, I cant think of anything thats less reliable. Its almost like were in shock when we all make it back to the truck without an "event".

4 hours ago, NHTOM said:

Amen. Boy is that the truth. For the money they cost, I cant think of anything thats less reliable. Its almost like were in shock when we all make it back to the truck without an "event".

We aren't brand loyal, but when we make it back without a "uncontrollable mechanical event"

We actually say it every time, followed by a high five (or a big hug) then a🙏 To the sled gods.

some of us have had better luck than others.

some of us have had no luck over the years.  Not mentioning any names.

(Name starts with P) lol

5 hours ago, viper2 said:

Yes you are definitely more in control going down the trail at 75 mph standing up. Said no one ever lol. Hey to each his own but if you are more comfortable and feel more in control standing up 60% of the time on the trails in Quebec than I am sorry but there is something wrong with your sled

Or your a midget.😂

I have actually ridden with a guy 5ft tall that it really didn't make a difference if he was sitting or standing.

really the only time in my life I felt jealous of someone so short and my height was a negative.  He required no effort to go from sitting to standing as he was always 90 percent there before he turned the key.

On 3/2/2017 at 4:18 AM, Scranton1 said:

Or your a midget.😂

I have actually ridden with a guy 5ft tall that it really didn't make a difference if he was sitting or standing.

really the only time in my life I felt jealous of someone so short and my height was a negative.  He required no effort to go from sitting to standing as he was always 90 percent there before he turned the key.

Yes I am short, 5'8" (possibly 5'9" with my Klim boots haha) so maybe thats why I like to stand a lot.  Nothing wrong with my sled I have adjustable handle bar risers on the cat that can go up and down with the push of a button in seconds so its very comfortable to do either on my sled.  A great feature I will never go without after having it...

People who always sit will of course say its better to sit, especially when their sled isn't meant for standing (touring sleds, vipers, RX1, etc).  You simply can not ride these sleds standing up comfortably.  

This could go on forever like the 2 vs 4 stroke debate...  I guess thats why I started with "to each their own". Do what you want just be safe and have a lot of fun!

3 hours ago, vt_bluyamaha54 said:

RE:  Standing. IMO it's always a good idea to stand up at road crossings to see - and BE seen. Just a safety issue. 

X 2, and when cutting through parking lots etc., you see a lot more while standing

12 minutes ago, Pipemaster said:

X 2, and when cutting through parking lots etc., you see a lot more while standing

Riding down the shoulder of the road all good times to stand, you can be seen better also. I do stand some times on a long pull just to change it up a bit. 

Trying to stand up riding on a Venture or Vector would be like standing up to take a shit, it just doesn't work and you look awful odd doing it.  Those who have these type of machines or are overweight (or both) will have trouble to understand why/how people ever stand up longer than to look both ways...  

On 3/1/2017 at 6:41 AM, mikerider said:

mike

Well said, Mike!!!!!

On ‎3‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 6:41 AM, mikerider said:

mike

Wow Mike, it was hard to go 10mi in the 70s without changing a plug or a belt. Who could forget broken bogie wheel suspension parts and leaf springs? Starter ropes busted from pulling them so many times b/c the carbs were flood or vapor locked and wouldn't start? I'll take a modern sled any day or something from the 70s or 80s.
While I don't doubt your observations of the sleds coming back broken down, I would bet you a rouge or two that most of the flatbed returns are tied to these types of problems rather than manufacturer reliability
a) poor / no or improper maintenance
b) bad fuel / old fuel (that has been in a sled all summer??) - see 'a' above
c) improperly tensioned tracks and chaincases  - see 'a' above
d) lack of preparedness (carrying basic tools or knowing how to make minor repairs)

7 hours ago, Teet F8SP said:

Trying to stand up riding on a Venture or Vector would be like standing up to take a shit, it just doesn't work and you look awful odd doing it.  Those who have these type of machines or are overweight (or both) will have trouble to understand why/how people ever stand up longer than to look both ways...  

I might be sticking my neck out here but I would bet that most of the folks here are riding groomed trails so with the exceptions already mentioned for standing, no one is. Why/how would you ever stand up longer than to gain + give visibility when riding on groomed trails? Am I missing something? (and I ride a Vector long track)

12 hours ago, Teet F8SP said:

You can't be for real....   this is the 2nd thread now where you are showing your stupidity.

22 minutes ago, Fozzy said:

You can't be for real....   this is the 2nd thread now where you are showing your stupidity.

I agree that the old school seating position is much more difficult to stand.

I agree that if your overweight it is more difficult to stand.

I would add that if your tall it is more difficult to stand.

I believe the "stupidity" comment is a little strong?

Between Baie Come and Godbout (The Roller Coaster Section) I found standing a necessity to increase sight lines as much as possible to avoid a head on collision when the trail was single lane.

My 2 cents and just my opinion.  No malice intended.

The standing up while you shit comment gave me a good laugh. 

My 6 year old daughter ran over to me and said "Dad what are you laughing at?"

PEACE,

BJ

Stand Up, Sitting down, laying down on seat steering with your feet, i really could care less what anyone else does.

Just be on your side of the trail not riding up the middle. Try that. 

13 minutes ago, iceman said:

Stand Up, Sitting down, laying down on seat steering with your feet, i really could care less what anyone else does.

Pretty sure I did some of each this past weekend !    :-)

38 minutes ago, iceman said:

Don,

I Totally Agree

I was just referring to a similar scenario to the pic below.  Riding the single lane to try and make it up a deep snow covered hill without getting buried.  It would have been impossible to be totally on the right side but I was doing everything possible for risk mitigation.

My apologies

DSC04884_JPG_503555dd6c4bcd5717326f615fbe3661.jpg.e843ea2299c2d7506ec09c84b1fbbf57.jpg