Trip no. 6

Snappy Hank

Heading back up Sunday for 6th week of riding. Temps should be in the teens and twenties again. This will probably be last trip for the season, and time to bring home trailer and sled. Overall it has been a good riding season with over 2000 miles on the "dream meter" as towing calls it. Lecabanon, as always, is a very good host. I love riding but getting tired. Looking forward to seeing new Yamahas at the spring shows.

Snappy Hank

2 hours ago, Snappy Hank said:

Heading back up Sunday for 6th week of riding. Temps should be in the teens and twenties again. This will probably be last trip for the season, and time to bring home trailer and sled. Overall it has been a good riding season with over 2000 miles on the "dream meter" as towing calls it. Lecabanon, as always, is a very good host. I love riding but getting tired. Looking forward to seeing new Yamahas at the spring shows.

Snappy Hank

Why do you drive so far north?

6 hours ago, Snappy Hank said:

Snappy Hank

How are the conditions at St. Zenon?  I'm trying to decide whether I want to ride St. Zenon or Cochrane.  About the same distance for me.

I can drive there in about 4 1/2 hours on good roads, with NEXUS  card border is almost a drive thru. Conditions should be good when I go back up, snow is expected on Sunday while I am enroute back up. Riding during the week there is very little traffic on trails. Usually leave for home on Friday. It's nice to be retired !

Snappy Hank

18 hours ago, Snappy Hank said:

Snappy Hank

Nice for you to be retired and able to go whenever conditions are best. Also a bonus you are able to leave sled and trailer. That alone saves time, wear and tear, etc. How did you arrange that?.

10 hours ago, Snappy Hank said:

I can drive there in about 4 1/2 hours on good roads, with NEXUS  card border is almost a drive thru. Conditions should be good when I go back up, snow is expected on Sunday while I am enroute back up. Riding during the week there is very little traffic on trails. Usually leave for home on Friday. It's nice to be retired !

Snappy Hank

I never heard of a NEXUS card.  I just looked it up and it is interesting.  We cross the border in VT on route 91.  I haven't seen any dedicated lanes on either side, Canada or US.

Jack & Sandi

2 hours ago, revct1 said:

I never heard of a NEXUS card.  I just looked it up and it is interesting.  We cross the border in VT on route 91.  I haven't seen any dedicated lanes on either side, Canada or US.

Jack & Sandi

They use it at busy border crossings. They have one at the I87 crossing. You go online fill out forms pay money and whatever other hoops they make you jump through.  Then you get to use the nexus lane to get through quicker. We just inquired the last time we crossed and technically your not supposed to go across with trailer in the nexus lane but the border guy said people do it and they don't make much issue about. If you cross at times when it's not busy you really don't need it. 

You can get an application on line or at the post office. It costs $ 50. and it's good for 5 years. Both countries do a background check on you, and you have to be fingerprinted and photographed. Once investigation is complete, you go to border for an interview and photo ID card. Everyone in your vehicle must have one to use the NEXUS lane. Best $ 50.00 I ever spent especially when the lines are 25 cars deep !  You are still subject to inspection. I've been using it for almost 2 years .

Snappy Hank

For those of you that use the I87 boarder crossing, take the last exit (42) and take route 11 to route 276.  It literally adds only 5 minutes to your trip and it avoids the delay at the Champlain boarder crossing.  I do the same thing coming back to the States.  I also check the boarder wait times online to decide which way I'm going. 

https://bwt.cbp.gov/index.html?com=0&pas=1&ped=0&plist=0712

I swear I wake up the boarder patrol guys every time I come through this way.  They are almost happy to see someone.  It's a one lane boarder crossing and its always dead.  

2 minutes ago, stupe said:

For those of you that use the I87 boarder crossing, take the last exit (42) and take route 11 to route 276.  It literally adds only 5 minutes to your trip and it avoids the delay at the Champlain boarder crossing.  I do the same thing coming back to the States.  I also check the boarder wait times online to decide which way I'm going. 

I swear I wake up the boarder patrol guys every time I come through this way.  They are almost happy to see someone.  It's a one lane boarder crossing and its always dead.  

Have to look into this crossing.  I usually go west after crossing to meet a friend before heading further north.

Thanks for the info.

We always use route 91 in Vermont to cross.  We have been fortunate over the years and have had very few difficulties crossing.  We have been asked to go inside a couple of times for one reason or another but that is over almost a forty year time span.

Politeness and answer the questions without any wise cracks seems to get us thru smoothly.

I might ask about the NEXUS card this time if we get a good agent.

Jack & Sandi

19 hours ago, stupe said:

Favarcat & Attaker showed me this alternate to the I 87 crossing. I used it couple a times but when the Canadian Customs Agent asked me why is a guy from NJ using this out of the way crossing I told him to avoid the long lines at the I 87 crossing his response was it's 4am do you really think there's long lines over there???

I've gone back to using the I 87 crossing & most times pass through quickly.

Edited by 182ray

6 hours ago, 182ray said:

Favarcat & Attaker showed me this alternate to the I 87 crossing. I used it couple a times but when the Canadian Customs Agent asked me why is a guy from NJ using this out of the way crossing I told him to avoid the long lines at the I 87 crossing his response was it's 4am do you really think there's long lines over there???

I've gone back to using the I 87 crossing & most times pass through quickly.

I just tell them that I'm going to see Saguenay Bill and they let me right through, no problems.