Current Conditions: St Zenon or St. Raymond?

kdelabruere

37 minutes ago, kdelabruere said:

Thanks. I was asking for my boss. He ended up going up early Friday morning. Conditions were great Friday.

Unfortunately, someone cut the locks off his trailer on Friday night and stole his 3 week old 800 Pro S.

That sucks big time. 

So there was more than one sled in the trailer but they took only one? I'm thinking maybe they had seen it earlier and knew what they wanted.

Hate to hear of theft like this. Curious exactly where it happened. Usually you think you are good if you lock the sled in the trailer, but I guess not in this case.

This is why I have a satellite activated detonation device on my sled.  If I find out its stolen they get a big surprise, and if you look up in the air you may see the halo where they are at...

Hearing stuff like this makes my blood boil...  When is Canada going get a handle on this its been going on for decades?

11 hours ago, Cnc said:

So there was more than one sled in the trailer but they took only one? I'm thinking maybe they had seen it earlier and knew what they wanted.

There was also a 2016 Skidoo 600 carb in the trailer. He said they tried to take that too but it looks like they couldnt get it started.

Edited by kdelabruere

8 hours ago, MXZ700RIDER said:

Hate to hear of theft like this. Curious exactly where it happened. Usually you think you are good if you lock the sled in the trailer, but I guess not in this case.

Actually in trailer is the worst place to store your sled. The area it stole from requires extra precaution.

31 minutes ago, Teet F8SP said:

This is why I have a satellite activated detonation device on my sled.  If I find out its stolen they get a big surprise, and if you look up in the air you may see the halo where they are at...

Hearing stuff like this makes my blood boil...  When is Canada going get a handle on this its been going on for decades?

Teet theft is not the problem it once was. Stuff gets stolen everywhere. Shame on this guy for thinking a simple pad lock would keep him safe. We lock our front ends together with a Kryptonite U lock and rear ends including gas caddies with another Kryptonite chain, with the number of new riders going to Quebec it's not a suprise some stuff is getting taken.

Thieves are opportunistic vultures, where there is a large gathering of easy pickings they will be there. I don't think theft is any higher in Canada or Quebec than anywhere else, unfortunately in Quebec the the winter commodity often seems to be sleds simply due to the volume of them. I feel bad for folks who come here to experience our trails and get targeted.

The local law enforcement can be opportunistic as well. Four of us went up three weeks ago on a backpacking trip. Riding from Shawinigan heading towards St Tite on a Saturday morning we passed through a checkpoint monitored by two trail cops on two sleds. No big deal we are all legit. I'd say 3-4 miles later as we appoach an intersection I looked back and realize the last two sleds in our group just got pulled over by the same cops. Apparently they felt there was more money to be had pulling Americans over for speeding than checking for permits. What I find even better to this story is the fact that our group of four sleds where following 5 Canadian sleds, all two ups. It took them that long to get my friends going 10 km's over the speed limit. I'd say they were more confused as to why they were being pulled over than pissed at first. Then the tickets came in the mail with a fine that will exceed $300. Since when do they mail you the ticket? I got a speeding ticket years ago in Quebec actually coming off a 20 plus mile lake and it was given to me on the spot. That's a whole different story but not for today. I will always continue to go back to Quebec because to me it's the very definition of snowmobiling. I'll have to wait until next year to see if two of my buddies will be joining me? In my opinion there are all kinds of thieves!

13 hours ago, Teet F8SP said:

Friggen Canada!!  I can't believe it only happens in Canada.

Holly shit are you stupid.

On 3/4/2017 at 8:00 PM, kdelabruere said:

T

Last night. Not sure where they were staying. Between Joliette and St. Michel.

kdelabruere,  They are common friends of ours....  i was hoping they were going to meet up with me and my daughter and stay at the La Glaciere in St. Zenon where there is secure parking.  They were staying at the Hotel La Porte de la Matawinie which is located in Saint-Jean-De-Matha.  The hotel looks to have nice accommodations but trailers and sleds are exposed...several gas stations right near parking lot too. Busy little area.   If I had known they were staying there I would of warned them.  Such a bummer for Mark....seeing how that sled was brand new.  I was hoping to meet up on the trails with them but then got the text of the bad news.   The Montagne Coupee Hotel in St-Jean-De-Matha also has secure sled parking.   Friggin hate thieves !!!!  i hope karma bites them in their thieving ass !!!

10 hours ago, Fozzy said:

Friggen Canada!!  I can't believe it only happens in Canada.

Holly shit are you stupid.

Stupid, is not realizing this happens way more often in Canada than anywhere else.  There are specific threads on here discussing this exact issue of security.  Just look at the reputable places to stay, they all have secure, locked and gated parking areas with security.  Ive ridden in so many different locations and quebec is the only place you have to worry about a secured parking area and still triple lock everything.  Thefts do happen elsewhere I am not saying they do not but the truck and sled thefts in quebec are definitely an issue and has been for many years.  If you don't understand this you are the stupid one!

Don't make me go on HCS and pull all the stolen sled threads from the good old United States of Merica. 

It happens plenty in the USA too. So get over it. Have not heard of very many all this year. 

Theres always bad people out there. 

6 hours ago, VTrider said:

They were staying at the Hotel La Porte de la Matawinie which is located in Saint-Jean-De-Matha.  

Never heard of this place. Sorry for his loss. Never in trailer. Just use real locks with real hardened chains if you put cable thru ski loops or bumpers you don't really care cause that is useless.

Edited by iceman

Its not as big of a problem like it is in Quebec...  You can go anywhere in PA, NY, VT, Maine and none of the places that I know of to stay at need a gated, locked, 24 hour security guard to get in/out of the parking lot to protect their clientele.  

Bad people in States too, heck we prob have you out numbered there, just seems the snowmobile and truck theft is and has been way more of an issue in Quebec.  I understand there are way more snowmobiles riding in quebec than in the states with no snow so the ratio may be what makes it stand out to everyone.  I do hear of stolen sleds recovered more often in states possibly because people who take them try to keep them and they are less likely go to chop shops or parts warehouses.  I often wonder if any stolen sleds are recovered in Quebec or what happens to them once they are gone...

Years back when we started riding in Canada, EVERYONE warned us about the thefts and good/vs bad places to stay because of this issue at the time.  Ice your right, seems to be getting better but still need to be very smart about where you stay and how you store your sleds no matter where you stay, not to mention the extra saddle bag for your chains and locks...

I love Quebec.  I have been a victim there and at home. I have also had my car and other sleds stolen in the US too.  I got back car and sleds each time in US.  The facts are Quebec ranks very high (if not the highest) in North America for theft and it is the place you are least likely to get your stuff back. Ask your insurance agent.  I don't like leaving the sleds in/on the trailer.  Im sure he felt secure with the locks.  I worry about theft the entire time Im in Quebec.  When I am at our place in Western Maryland I don't bring the same locking gear.  Im not disparaging Quebec or casting a shadow over all of the people its just a fact you have to deal with and hope your precautions are enough.  I parked directly across the street from the SDQ for the weekend and I know I was laughed at for my boots and locks but when I come back I sure as shit hope to see my truck.

Oh and Montagne Coupee looks like a real nice place but that is in what seems to be the main corridor for theft.  I probably wouldn't stay there even though its convenient.

Edited by actionjack

I have stayed in St Jean De Matha and likely passed the place (hotel) where this happened. I believe it is right on the main road through town and pretty heavily traveled for that town. I myself always stayed at Montagne Coupee which is slightly higher $$, but offers a locked and heated garage to secure your sled and trailer in. Sorry to hear of this, and I hope this bad experience doesn't sour him on returning to the best snowmobiling area around.  

ActionJack is right....Montagne Coupee was hit a few times in past years I believe, but none have ever been stolen from their locked garage....only from those choosing to take a chance and leave sleds and or trailers in their lot. They used to charge a $10 fee per sled per day to use garage, not sure if they still do charge, but that is still cheaper than replacing a sled.

I've stayed there twice this winter.  Been staying there for my early season ride with Krissy every winter over the last 10 years.  No issues at all.  That jumbo heated garage is great for sled security.  Most times I've been there in the past few years there was room for my rig (Ram 2500 mega cab and three sled Rance Renegade trailer) in the garage as well.

There was a spate of thefts in the SJDM area number of years ago but that seemed to have quieted down until this recent episode at Porte de la Manawinie.  Surprised to learn of this incident......lol, every time I drove past there the last few winters there were zero guests there.

What a previous poster opined about 131 being a corridor for past thefts is right on the money..............always be careful about securing your rig and sleds; specially twixt St Z and SMDS.

Been sledding in Quebec for over 20 yrs and, knock on wood, weve never lost anything. Only once, a sled was stolen form a trailer at the  Hotel Saguenne. Dude left trailer un-locked, and key fob/lanyard in it. Duh...Other sleds wernt touched.

Ive heard lots of horror stories, and St Zenon and Thetford mines usually lead the list. We never ride either of these areas.  True that Northern new england doesnt have secure parking, and virtually no theft. I think part of that is many Quebec areas are close to urban centers, and lets face it, the bigger the town the more crooks it has. Also, USA has bigger penalties for crime than Canada. We dont have the worlds highest incarceration rate for nothing!

7 hours ago, iceman said:

Never heard of this place. Sorry for his loss. Never in trailer. Just use real locks with real hardened chains if you put cable thru ski loops or bumpers you don't really care cause that is useless.

Yeah...  i was bummed to hear this.  The last communication i had from them was that they were coming to the La Glaciere where there is secure sled and trailer parking.  The hotel where the sled was stolen is right in the main part of town...right off of hwy 131.  On the way home on sunday...I saw a another truck and trailer park there and wondered if the hotel management would warn them of the incident the day before...hmmm???  My wife and I stayed at the Montagne Coupee earlier this year and they have a nice setup for your sled.  They will also let you park trailer in there if there is room.  Only downfall is the garage is a little hike down the hill from main hotel...also a little bit of asphalt riding to get to main trail, which can be an issue in spring weather.  On a bright side....me and my daughter had an amazing time riding the trails this past weekend after her deployment.  From the desert sands to the frozen lands....she was all smiles !!!   

qc.JPG

qc2.JPG

qc3.JPG

qc4.JPG

qc5.JPG

Edited by VTrider

I have been staying in St Jean de Matha for 15 yrs now. Literally walking distance from Gero Skidoo.

We stay at my buddies parents house there and still lock and block our trucks/trailers in if possible.

Many years back his parents were away on summer vacation and had their truck parked in a back lot garage.

Theives broke into the garage and wanted the truck but couldn't get through the HUGE dead bar and lock my friends

father had on the overhead door. So guess what they did......they found a chainsaw in the garage and used it to cut the

entire side wall out of the garage and yanked the truck out sideways.

no shit.......this really happened.