Current Conditions: St Zenon or St. Raymond?

kdelabruere

56 minutes ago, VTrider said:

On a bright side....me and my daughter had an amazing time riding the trails this past weekend after her deployment.  From the desert sands to the frozen lands....she was all smiles !!!   

So glad you had a great time and great trails with your daughter. Much respect to her and thank her for for service please. 

I have been sledding in Qc since the late 60's and never had a sled stolen, or a truck, car or trailer. I've  never been the victim of a car jacking, home invasion or robbery. Guess I have been lucky eh? Actually adding to an earlier post I made I think some of you are perhaps missing the point. Thieves target tourists, not just here but all over the world maybe because they seem like a easy mark. I'm not saying that those of us who live here are not at risk too, but roll into town with a nice truck and trailer and a few expensive sleds inside and you are at risk. You wouldn't think of leaving 10-20 grand in cash out side your hotel in a tin box with a lock on it, but it happens all the time except that cash is in the form of a shiney sled or two. With the amount of sleds around the more popular destinations it not only gives these scum lots of choice it may also be easier to un load a stolen sled. I ran across this  while surfing sled theft and thought this might be worth while, kind of a little added insurance.

http://sleddermag.com/anti-theft-device-spot-trace/

CNC.  I checked your link out.  Real good info.

I already use a Spot device for safety whilst riding in Quebec, and am a big fan of this technology.  this seems anti-theft device makes a lot of sense..

thanks.

On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 6:15 PM, Cnc said:

With the amount of sleds around the more popular destinations it not only gives these scum lots of choice it may also be easier to un load a stolen sled. I ran across this  while surfing sled theft and thought this might be worth while, kind of a little added insurance.

http://sleddermag.com/anti-theft-device-spot-trace/

This technology could help but I do see two drawbacks:
1) Finding a place to conceal the unit (especially after the article mentioned an under hood location wasn't recommended) Location would need to be reasonably accessible so as to be able to check/replace batteries but at the same time sufficiently hidden and unobvious so thieves wouldn't discover it. Modern sleds don't have many unused cavities..
2) Cooperation from the authorities in pursuing thieves you are providing the location for. Police are generally in no rush to deal with thefts so I wonder how they react when you tell them that you know where the missing sled is?

4 hours ago, vt_bluyamaha54 said:

This technology could help but I do see two drawbacks:
1) Finding a place to conceal the unit (especially after the article mentioned an under hood location wasn't recommended) Location would need to be reasonably accessible so as to be able to check/replace batteries but at the same time sufficiently hidden and unobvious so thieves wouldn't discover it. Modern sleds don't have many unused cavities..
2) Cooperation from the authorities in pursuing thieves you are providing the location for. Police are generally in no rush to deal with thefts so I wonder how they react when you tell them that you know where the missing sled is?

Well you make some good points. For hiding it, I would think if a sled has a storage compartment built into the seat it could be a inconspicuous access to a carved out bit of foam hiding spot under the seat. As for the police, I don't know. They may drag their feet on a theft report knowing that once it is gone, it is gone and they are only doing paperwork for the insurance company. Following up on a known location of the stolen sled may be met with more enthusiasm.  Anyway beats but may not outperform sleeping on your sled with a baseball bat.😁

Edited by Cnc