Iceman and Friends head east.

iceman

On 2017-03-03 at 7:18 AM, neksledr said:

How's the new tank bag working JG? Looks like this could be quite an adventure in the making! Ride safe, have fun.         Terry

That heated tank bag is the answer, today it will be put to the rest st -30° C.

Gauntlets work a lot better on the bars than in the back seat. Lol

9 hours ago, iceman said:

...Perhaps the most challenging day I ever spent on a sled in Quebec...This Team from VT don't play and they are pro's...Big respect for the teamwork and the skill showed today...Words here will not duly do justice...Big thanks to them Mark, Randy, Greg and Dave...Would not be here without them...

DSC04884.JPG.503555dd6c4bcd5717326f615fbe3661.JPG

Holy hell!  VERY happy to be experiencing this from a nice warm computer!

9 hours ago, iceman said:

Timing is everthing, Luck plays the biggest part as we cannot control the weather. 

If it has not snowed recently and there are some tracks to follow, You could stand a chance. Trust me it aint easy to follow this trail. When you got up to Havre or beyond if it were to snow any significant amout. You are screwed. Some much open space and wind just piles up the snow. Now I know why i've been in Sept Isles several times and seen many groups arriving back to Sept Isles from the east by Flatbed. 

You need four people minimum. Just to be sure you can get out of what you might get into. Just my 2 cents. 

Exactly why I wish we would have continued, our weather was entirely different than what you guys experienced.

Great Report

Just curious if there is much difference between 900 and 1200 for flotation on a day like this? 

Does the 900 increased fuel economy hold up under these conditions?

Talk about a great test.

weight difference but less hp's

congrats!  I believe the first timers are now  the "5 percenters" applause 👏 👏💥💥

BJ

8 hours ago, Scranton1 said:

Just curious if there is much difference between 900 and 1200 for flotation on a day like this? 

Does the 900 increased fuel economy hold up under these conditions?

Survey says......

flotation is same they say no difference. 

Yes on fuel economy for the 900. 

Day 3 

quick report for now. Will post full info after dinner. In Port Cartier. A fabulous day. What a difference blue skies, and having broke the trail yesterday on the way east coming back west was a very different experience than yesterday. 

A full report later tonight. Time for dinner. 

Day 3 

ok tout le monde, here we go....

Had a super dinner last night at Restaurant Julie just in back of Hotel du Havre. Up this Am and went to check the continental breakfast included with the hotel room. Not inspiring. Or fulfilling either. Toast, cofee, juice? Iceman need substance. Is what it is we decided not to go to Tim Hortons and to just head on out. Nice and cold this AM. -5F they say. Suit up and roll quick stop at the gas and we need to do a quick ice removal on the Steering Boots on the Sidewinder as its got ice built up in there and steering is binding up. I break out my rubber mallet and that along with a bucket of hot water makes short work of this job. Great teamwork tipping sled up and working together to solve the issue albeit a small one. 

We bid farewell to Havre St Pierre and head west on a beautiful groomed trail under cold but clear skies. Big sun. This is gonna be a much different day than the grey flat light of the past two days together. 30 miles is all you get of this groomed trail. Over finished see ya bye. Now we have about 30 more miles to gas and this trail is not terrible. We did all the heavy lifting yesterday and today will not be like that. With trail broken and drifts knocked down its much easier navigating and we make it to the gas in Rivere Tonerre in half the time as yesterday. Stomachs are rumbling so its into the grocery store for a quick defrost and some snacks to fuel up. Too early for lunch that will be later today. Nice break and some nourishment and we head out. This is the 40 miles that will make or break your run. Again its a whole new game today as we opened the trail yesterday. Much easier to follow the GPS track and no drifts to navigate like yesterday. We really make awesome time and now it seems almost easy this trail. Don't be fooled. Its got no real marking and yes our tracks are there but now its Saturday and there's been some local's out here and tracks are going many different ways. Good luck. Our navigation team is on it. They got their ducks in a row. No slackers on this team, We pass 2 sleds headed east big Expeditions. Yeah i know you did not need our help but you're welcome, trails packed down for you no big drifts left to pass through. Again super time here and we cut our time in half through this section. Two more locals on mountain sleds with funny pipes. Making lots of noise. No cops out here to bust them that's for sure. On down and across the Moise River. Excellent its 1:30pm unbelievable time today. Here, well what do you know, fresh groomed, in fact groomer is turning around to head back to Sept Isles now. 

At the road crossing is a group of 6 locals out for a ride they are headed east. We head for Sept Isles on groomed frozen white Asphalt, however, wherever there is open areas the wind is fierce and blowing like crazy drifting up fast. Groomer just passed and yet it is drifted right back over. Mad wind. 

We are headed for gas in Sept Isles and some lunch. I'm thinking hmmmm,.....saturday? Yes ok, near town? Yes ok, Police out? You betcha. Well Dooright is dooing it, I find myself second in the mix. I'm pedaling it hard to try to reel him in. i come over a hill and well hello Police. Hey Now! What you doing? Oh shit, there are two of course. One has taken an interest in dooright and so much so he is making a U-turn to go chase him. Right in front of me. I back it on down, it was a surprise to see him turning around in fromt of me on a hill in a bad spot but I had my "spider senses" tingling telling me to watch it. The other cop throws up his hand and puts on his lights. Yeah I know. I'm prepared for a real issue as I was practically not touching the ground over the hill in pursuit. I greet him as he comes over to me "salut, ca va?" He smiles says in english where are you from? By now everyone else is lined up behind me. I tell him i am from Shawinigan he asks if we are all together i say yes. Some from USA. He asks where we are coming from and is surprised to hear Havre St Pierre. He says I just am checking for trail pass stickers. Hey no problems. Mark comes up to point out (and very true) that he was holding us in a dangerous place as anyone coming behind us over that hill would surely hit us. The officer looks at my sticker then says go ahead its ok. See ya. Down by the road. Randy is there with the Police. I stop to see if I can do anything. This cop speaks some English too, so i am no help. I see him writing but he is just taking Randy's info to put in his daily activities report. No tickets. We are out. One more group of 3 we pass  (it is saturday) and down to the gas on groomed trail. Gas and next door to the mall and the St Hubert for a real lunch and a defrosting. Great break here and well deserved. Out of there its close to 3:30. Time to sprint to Port Cartier. 

Out of town and not far from town at a road crossing, Greg du Vermont says here...points to his Sidewinder. Yeah buddy I will pilot that girl. He hops on my Apex and is gone. I'm thinking....hmmm lets see what this baby got. Well tabernac it took me a mile or two to get used to the steering, just different than mine obviously. Wicked smooth power. Quiet and all the punch of the Apex but stealthy. Damn I like this thing. I can not believe it but they say don't knock it till you try it. I don't believe "it's once you go cat you never go back" as this thing is alot Yamaha. I'm smitten with it and not missing my sled by the third or fourth mile. I've got it figured out more now, Need to watch it cause she is so fast. Quiet and fast. You look down you are barely giving it and it's doing 80mph. Please sir can I have some more? This one has the fox floats and though it was not rough I am told by Greg that it's not the best shock package. I would need to ride it a bit more but my first Impression is I need one of these. 

So thanks Greg now I will spend all day in my helmet tomorrow. Trying to figure out how to break it to mrs Iceman that i need to expand the stable to 3. Maybe i'll letter up the white 13XTX with Mrs Iceman Decals so she thinks its her's? I need to figure this out. 

Seriously big thanks to Greg and damn you. 

Into Port Cartier at 4:36pm. Trails were perfect from Sept Isles to here and groomer was headed out when we got here. 

Taxi to a great restaurant and another awesome day comes to a close. Great crew and great trails. 

Life is good. 

Back to Forestville tomorrow and then home to Chez Iceman. Gonna be a late night getting back to Shawinigan tomorrow. 

Until next time....DSC04887.JPG.d35f1e79456315fb5cc80ceea0051d35.JPGDSC04888.JPG.c0ca9e9f4d9d59ae802b06cc2556b3b8.JPGDSC04889.JPG.57c3542ed7442a5f731be9a2a5528b06.JPGDSC04890.JPG.8b78f8a6836a654a9424e0742166bf11.JPGDSC04896.JPG.9fc5feeb8b6635f78497d85de2f99cfb.JPGDSC04897.JPG.86ab25bf50660decaaff7d9596d18c33.JPGDSC04898.JPG.e9e30634d116402297295f075d6318e2.JPGDSC04900.JPG.c2b3a82d86425b666913745519c6c248.JPGDSC04902.JPG.de2d5714ac80a4ae34f3bbdc527a7b4b.JPGDSC04903.JPG.35096f2f3a1d4e7fb5affaacd57dd694.JPGDSC04904.JPG.b3f2addc71346a06cf8e65998c5b1c15.JPGDSC04905.JPG.eb8291dae4650c8d81f8726221a0c284.JPGDSC04906.JPG.9e209d730e37b87b848316b4ba0d88c1.JPGDSC04907.JPG.69c514d79ef379b229a390a7166d2bd3.JPGDSC04908.JPG.d8e0906bc9dab4667bf9b1cbd02a9c6e.JPGDSC04909.JPG.60b50a3afab060f99c12b88beb9a5469.JPGDSC04912.JPG.2b7abcc6ab194caad5f20426e62234cb.JPG

DSC04892.JPG

DSC04893.JPG

DSC04894.JPG

DSC04895.JPG

5 hours ago, PLAYHARD said:

I think Pierre said his pop @ Moto Thibault has chosen a Sidewinder for his trusty steed?

Not surprised. It felt solid. I liked it alot. We shall see.

Next week WE ride. Looking forward to seeing you.

Edited by iceman

Rut Ro, JG, did you get your sticker replaced? It sure seems that lately if there are PO PO involved, so are you! Have a good ride back today guys. Headed for RDL today and Gaspe for the week.      Terry

42 minutes ago, neksledr said:

Rut Ro, JG, did you get your sticker replaced? It sure seems that lately if there are PO PO involved, so are you! Have a good ride back today guys. Headed for RDL today and Gaspe for the week.      Terry

Like Ice said, Mark was on the cop about where he had stopped us so he did not check just let us go. No replacement sticker but I got my paperwork, 

Gonna be more careful next year and not ride in St.Z anymore,  thievery going on up there. Don't get it!!! Why would some steel my trail pass, once it's peeled the void messages are displayed and can not be reused.

you better have reservations in RDL it's a zoo up there. Turning into a St.Zenon.

Edited by Trailblazer

We did a summer recon trip. We know what you mean about the breakfast. We found a nice place by the water. Probably closed in the winter. 

You have Gemma reminiscing about the power lines.

Great report and photos.

24 minutes ago, Trailblazer said:

Like Ice said, Mark was on the cop about where he had stopped us so he did not check just let us go. No replacement sticker but I got my paperwork, 

Gonna be more careful next year and not ride in St.Z anymore,  thievery going on up there. Don't get it!!! Why would some steel my trail pass, once it's peeled the void messages are displayed and can not be reused.

you better have reservations in RDL it's a zoo up there. Turning into a St.Zenon.

Yup, got ressies tonight and on our return Fri. 

3 hours ago, iceman said:

Not surprised. It felt solid. I liked it alot. We shall see.

Next week WE ride. Looking forward to seeing you.

Looks like the SW gets a little better mpg than the Apex, If you work it right the wife can see for herself that it will pay for its self over time. If you need any more great ideas, my wife has always been convinced I needed a new sled every few years. lol.

23 minutes ago, 800steve said:

Looks like the SW gets a little better mpg than the Apex, If you work it right the wife can see for herself that it will pay for its self over time. If you need any more great ideas, my wife has always been convinced I needed a new sled every few years. lol.

Ice, and most importantly the new sleds are safer. Bahaha!