Iceman and Friends head east.

iceman

Much like RRs expedition, there is safety (and peace of mind) with numbers and good navigators are a requirement. Make no mistake; as ice man said, these are not snowmobile trips for the unseasoned but serious expeditions. 

Congrats to you boys; many of us enjoyed this more from our screens than we would have in person. When snowmobiling is more work than fun is It really still fun??

Home in my bed. Awesome trip with tge most awesome crew. Thanks for getting me there. The trip of the year. Just incredible. Can not wait to ride with you all again. 

Report on last day tomorrow, i am spent. 

21 minutes ago, markusvt said:

Sometimes the higher the investment in a trip and an adventure, the greater the reward 😀.  Certainly not for everyone. 😎

Sign me up. Anytime. 

50 minutes ago, dooright said:

Trailblazer checking out the approach to Godbout

Takes a decent sized blower to chisel out a bank like this 

Iceman likely !  

20170305_100832.jpg

20170304_075553.jpg

20170305_080827.jpg

Trailblazer gets it done. 

23 hours ago, 800steve said:

Looks like the SW gets a little better mpg than the Apex, If you work it right the wife can see for herself that it will pay for its self over time. If you need any more great ideas, my wife has always been convinced I needed a new sled every few years. lol.

I've been following your trip... a real adventure for sure.

I'm curious...who won the battle at the gas pumps? The SW doesn't appear to be carrying extra gas, a case of "no need" or "no means"?

3 minutes ago, nber said:

I've been following your trip... a real adventure for sure.

I'm curious...who won the battle at the gas pumps? The SW doesn't appear to be carrying extra gas, a case of "no need" or "no means"?

Never needed extra gas Apex or Sidewinder we were always within 1 liter of each other. Sidewinder better by that little bit. 

Most times less than 1 liter difference.

Edited by iceman

5 hours ago, dooright said:

Trailblazer checking out the approach to Godbout

Takes a decent sized blower to chisel out a bank like this 

Iceman likely !  

20170305_100832.jpg

20170304_075553.jpg

20170305_080827.jpg

Ridden the "Roller Coaster" three times and it has never been freshly groomed. First time I broke trail the entire way from BC to GB...

Been fun following you trip. :)

3 hours ago, iceman said:

Never needed extra gas Apex or Sidewinder we were always within 1 liter of each other. Sidewinder better by that little bit. 

Most times less than 1 liter difference.

My 1200 took a tic more than 37L on one fill after pushing snow for a good share of the run .. fumes I'd say .

The 900 was toting fuel that the winder could sip if needed but we never needed to put the big power up front . 

Great trip with all of the components that make our sport the greatest. Comaraderie, memories, challenge, ingenuity, adrenaline, natural beauty and the thrill of whatever the trail sends your way. Great job to all whose talents and skill made this mission a total success. I've gotta believe that the SledMagazine.com / Motoneiges.ca SideWinder was the first SideWinder ever at Havre St Pierre.

IMG_1581.JPG

Edited by Greg du Vermont

Day 4

Out of Port Cartier and west on groomed trail. It was beautiful. Windy in the open fields and through the powerline crossings. So a bit drifted in places but nothing to bad just had to pay attention. Blue skies and we are rewarded for all our hard work the first two days going east. We broke trail for 450 miles over the first two days. Just crazy, but was awesome. We make good time down and just before Baie Trinitie Trailblazer sled is running a bit rough. We get gas and carry on and in Godbout we stop to check out the water for a short break. Never have i seen the next section of trail from Godbout to Baie Comeau as nicely groomed and big, not ever. What a blast to ride this part, I was smiling from ear to ear in my helmet. Up and its a breeze into Baie Comeau. We get gas snd go to Marco Pizza for an excellent lunch. Just west of Baie Comeau after taking a break at the bridge and putting a few stickers. Trailblazers sled now is only running on 2 cylinders. He tells me it will only give him 60 miles an hour. I pull up to Mark and Randy and tell them. 

Mark looks at Randy and says "we can fix it now, it will takes us only 15 minutes, we have all the stuff." We should fix it now yes? So its agreed. They jump into NASCAR pit crew mode and go right for the culprit, finding very quickly the coil pack connection just like they thought was broken on one cylinder. These guys are good. But we knew this already. Bing bam boom its back together and purring like a lion. Good as new. Off like a prom dress for Forestville. A bit of sleds headed east most locals out for sunday ride. And I think someone even got a pucture of the Dog  riding on back of a Skandic I think inside a custom built box with windows made of plexiglass so he or she could sit and watch out the back as they were rolling along. Sweet setup, either a very happy dog or a extremely traumatized one he was not answering. I did ask. The dog that is. The owner says he loves it. 

Closer to Forestville about 40km out some massive drifts that would send you ass over tea kettle if you were not paying attention. This was like this 40 km on and off all the way to Forestville. Back at Econolodge at 4 pm loaded up and changed, 

quick stop at Tim's and some gas for the truck too.. what a difference a dry black trail makes. We were at my house by 10:45 pm. 

A great trip. Great team. Memories will last a lifetime. Thank You to all. Much appreciated. 

Already starting the logistics for the real run up the Route Blanche, next year. Looks like a 13 hour plus ride by truck to starting point. 

Next week to Saguenay starting on saturday night, when I should be at Roquemont. 

Still lots of riding to go. 

It has been fun and exciting guys.Those power lines after the Mosie river on our way up to Hauvre St.Pierre will be a memory for ever, the absolute hardest 100 miles i have ever done on a sled. I have to be really honest here, I was pretty doubtful at times watching Randy and Mark taking turns getting stuck one turn after the other breaking trail. i had been looking at my watch and odometer making calculations for the balance to Hauvre St.Pierre.and it wasn't looking good in my view but true determination, confidence and commitment changed all that and that's what makes me feel very privileged to have been a part of Team Vermont for our venture up to Hauvre St.Pierre these past few days.

Nice to spend 4 days and 1000 miles with my home team and newest members Iceman and Trailblazer!  It would have been easy to give up, breaking trail for 450-500 miles can be mentally and physically challenging, but Don and JG are TOUGH sledders!  And for sure they can check Havier St Pierre off their bucket list, next time we go to points beyond.  

As everyone knows riding is one thing, but you spend a lot of time off the sled with people and not everyone is easy to get along with.  Don and JG were the real deal, and I am happy to have shared the ride and the experience.  They were always ready to on time with all their ducks in a row, this style really helps keep the train rocking, (sleep is over rated they said). We always had a bailout plan if the going got too tough but these guys never asked about it.  They were confident we were to succeed, (me too, I'm not scared of a little snow :).

I would say anyone wanting to give this a go do it late in the season and not after a snowfall.  You will find most of it nice going with only the middle 20-40 miles or so the real challenge, have a GPS with good tracks.

Now like any trip, some stories will have to remain untold......

Edited by markusvt