Iceman and Friends head east.

iceman

This adventure has been a year in the making. It started last winter when Team Iceman made a run for Havre St Pierre only to be stoppped cold by a big storm and forced back west from Baie Comeau. It was not long after I was contacted by Markusvt and dooright, they said next year we go to Havre St Pierre we will get you there. "Failure is not an option". Alrighty then I'm in. 

We kept in touch and the ride with Team VT consisting of Markusvt, dooright, greg-du-vermont and their buddy Dave has been long overdue. The combination of these United Forces of Team Iceman and Team Vt is quite the alliance. Add in the fact that we also have none other than Trailblazer Jean Guy himself and you have the makings of quite a crew of seasoned veterans. Ready for whatever comes our way. 

Good thing cause nothing up here comes easy. 

This trip has been in the works like i said from last season. mark and I finally narrowed down the dates based on my other commitments and settled on this week. 

With the warm and rain at home it was hard to be excited about getting out but the forecast would change for the better. 

I tried to get NHmoose in on this run but due to work obligations it was a no go. 

Both myself an Trailblazer like so many others have been following RoadRunner's loop here religiously. So when Jean Guy sent me a PM asking when we were leaving for the Route Blanche it was a no brainer. I told him we leave Wednesday for Forestville and beyond, want to go? His response...."does a bear shit in the woods?" Of course. 

Edited by iceman

So Trailblazer comes to get me at Chez Ice at 4pm on Wednesday. We load my sled and gear in pouring rain. We head out direction Forestville to meet up with the rest of the alliance. Up to Baie St. Paul is all rain. Now here it's changing and its all snow, we take a break at Tim's in BSP. Then back on the road and its white knuckle for JG all the way up to Forestville. We pull in just before midnight. I need to pry JG's fingers off the sterring wheel. He's had enough of that for tonight. Not easy to get here. We check in and park and go to visit with Mark and Randy. Well it's like old times and we call it a night at 1:30am. We got a big ride tmmrw. 

Up early at 5:30 to get organized. Breakfast at 6:30. In and out and time to suit up. It's been snowing and blowing all night this is gonna be fun. 

Out of Forrestville I am along for the ride so it's nice to follow mindlessly and just stay in line. I could get used to this. Hat's off to mark and randy cause they are breaking us a trail and we are clipping along. Near zero vis. We push on. We roll on and arrive in Baie Comeau just before noon. Take gas and off to the rollercoaster section. Surprisingly fun and not too bad but these guys are blowing trail open for us. Then on up and through Godbout, here snow is way more deeper. Easily a foot here. We really are making great time and roll into Baie Trinity for gas and some snacks. Here is really snowing like crazy. Once we leave it's lightened up a bit. Still alot of new snow, passed 2 sleds so far both locals just bombing around. We head on and into Port Cartier at 5pm gas and go. Snow has stopped now but still deep. We run up and arrive into Sept Isles to Comfort Inn. 6:15pm with close to 320 miles. Tomorrow we make for Havre St. Pierre maybe more. 

DSC04860.JPG.70107ea3ee7272c1b982c5e024bd35c7.JPGDSC04861.JPG.fe308479831660d6b5e667f280cc2136.JPGDSC04863.JPG.9d2c6a08b88b1f7197cefa0d283f41cb.JPGDSC04864.JPG.1939acc858cdfc719e3979458a9bd6b9.JPGDSC04865.JPG.fbaf6837c2c04c275c6aa2a29df6a0c6.JPGDSC04866.JPG.95dfe9c248d671c77f07fa2137a4d28f.JPGDSC04867.JPG.3aaa9fcb11d54b747824485754d38576.JPGDSC04868.JPG.1d7cfac8aa06ebe978cd5c5482b4102f.JPG

48 minutes ago, iceman said:

In Havre St Pierre at 6pm. Have I got alot to tell you. We made it. I will be back. To be Continued. I need a drink or 3.

The suspense is killing us, can't you drink quicker?😁

Day 2 

Left Sept Isles at 8am. Had nice breakfast at Comfort Inn. Loaded up and off we go. Trail much like we left it yesterday no grooming and fresh snow, No tracks headed east. We will change that. We make good time to River Moise as expected. From here the adventure really just is beginning. The snow is deep and Randy and Mark are taking turns finding the way for us. This day was quite challenging. Perhaps the most challenging day I ever spent on a sled in Quebec. 

They say "you learn something new everyday" well today I learned alot. Several things in fact. 

1 This Team from VT don't play and they are pro's. Big respect for the teamwork and the skill showed today. Words here will not duly do justice to what we achieved today. I can tell you but unless you lived it, You just won't understand. Big thanks to them Mark, Randy, Greg and Dave. Would not be here without them. 

2 I know now why the amount of people who have actually been to Havre St. Pierre by snowmobile is not very many. The trail is not a trail, its there, but not really. Especially now after 12" plus of snow and winds that created drifts throughout the powelines(which is the main route for most of the way) the size of Peterbilt trucks. Hairy shit. 

3 My sled is quite capable of making its way in deep snow. just don't hesitate. 

Ok now seriously you may want to go to Havre St Pierre. Great. Think again. Cause unless you got a GPS track and a solid crew of at least 4 experts. You are being foolish. There is no sticks, not many signs and you are on your own for more than 40 miles. Thats alot of decisions to make is it up there to the left? Down to the right? Up thst hill? Choose carefully cause your  life depends on it. There are cliffs and drop offs that are so beautifully hidden with the drifts it's not for beginners. 

Today was a long long day. I have never worked so hard for 100 miles ever. 8am-2:30pm to get to Rivere Tonnerre for gas and snacks. Yeah, check that moving average. Do the math. Not easy. Did I mention bring strong guys to help you out? Cause when you get stuck it's deep. I rode 5 or 6 today. Best place for me. We got 4 Doo's 3 1200's and one 900, one Sidewinder and my XTX. I needed to back down one big hill one cause the others dug such a trench they left me nothing to work with. One other time saw me just thrown too far right on a big climb.  But just a pull on my ski loops and i was out. The same can not be said for our leaders they are making decisions on the fly and encountering drits that are incredible. We did alot of digging and studying to find where was the best way to get through. After Rivere Tonnerre there was more sticks to guide us, trail was in woods, but still powerlines here and there. Still drifted bad, but we make better time. 25 miles from Havre St Pierre we find fresh groom trail we are delighted. We exploit this for all it's worth and hammer down. Into Hotel Havre at 6:15. 

Thanks to The Team Vermont and Trailblazer. I made it to Havre St Pierre. Mission Accomplished "failure was not an option"

Talks are aleady in the works for next years ride. Probably starting in Baie Comeau and shooting east of here as far as trail will let us go. I can't wait.

We were hoping to go 50 miles east of here then back but time will leave that as unfinished business for another time. But the objective has been reached. 

Tomorrow back west to Port Cartier. Should be a different game now that we broke a trail through "no mans land" 

in Rivere Tonnerre we chatted with some guys in the store they said last group to come through was last week. Thinking for sure was none other than Roadrunner. So no one else been through since them last week. 

Big respect also to GT Rider who I know made this run 2 up with Mrs GT. You are so lucky it was not drifted like this was today my friend. 

Tired. 

DSC04869.JPG.e8f0e523a0b1585b588cc764be2be0ff.JPGDSC04870.JPG.bccc21345d2d9686c7b6d1c18f7619ff.JPG

DSC04872.JPG.8a666287bbccb613bed3605e85f05144.JPG

DSC04873.JPG.8576c2c8d0e863ecb991f7fa305e5029.JPG

I need to make a withdrawl. Ice needs a new Apex....

DSC04871.JPG.28aef7a1ee95cd631baf24ce63994fa8.JPG

DSC04874.JPG.01803af7ede4055fef49832daca0ab42.JPGDSC04875.JPG.15119304a5cf84dfa08ee403d1bbfd10.JPGDSC04876.JPG.4deb92833274e1cafa352ef769c0fbae.JPGDSC04878.JPG.b71bd79218741ca27ea709e14f066952.JPGDSC04879.JPG.c9cf98ec3987eac13250418d0bbfecbb.JPGDSC04880.JPG.75cb473383f11c633b911a1e5940b0e7.JPGDSC04881.JPG.073655f5695df2d69e6d5d893be3f221.JPGDSC04882.JPG.0be8181f9edf697c9e87d0d28b2000b7.JPGDSC04883.JPG.f7c07ce48285c1cc93d38acfc7c2f7af.JPGDSC04884.JPG.503555dd6c4bcd5717326f615fbe3661.JPG

Wanna get to Havre St Pierre? Look for these and good luck!

DSC04886.thumb.JPG.2b839556bda758cf8b24e7432d667fd2.JPG

DSC04885.JPG

Edited by iceman

Looks good wish we had pressed on from Sept Iles earlier this year but having left from Shawinigan we were already over 700 miles from our vehicles and we were running out of time. Like you said unfinished business...

Edited by Phil 1

11 minutes ago, Phil 1 said:

Looks good wish we had pressed on from Sept Iles earlier this year but having left from Shawinigan we were already over 700 miles from our vehicles and we were running out of time. Like you said unfinished business...

Timing is everthing, Luck plays the biggest part as we cannot control the weather. 

If it has not snowed recently and there are some tracks to follow, You could stand a chance. Trust me it aint easy to follow this trail. When you got up to Havre or beyond if it were to snow any significant amout. You are screwed. Some much open space and wind just piles up the snow. Now I know why i've been in Sept Isles several times and seen many groups arriving back to Sept Isles from the east by Flatbed. 

You need four people minimum. Just to be sure you can get out of what you might get into. Just my 2 cents. 

5 hours ago, iceman said:

Timing is everthing, Luck plays the biggest part as we cannot control the weather. 

If it has not snowed recently and there are some tracks to follow, You could stand a chance. Trust me it aint easy to follow this trail. When you got up to Havre or beyond if it were to snow any significant amout. You are screwed. Some much open space and wind just piles up the snow. Now I know why i've been in Sept Isles several times and seen many groups arriving back to Sept Isles from the east by Flatbed. 

You need four people minimum. Just to be sure you can get out of what you might get into. Just my 2 cents. 

Awesome adventure and trail report Iceman. You truly are traveling with best of the QR gang.  Congratulations on your achievement. For some reason we understand how your day went. We have had several of them along this trip lol. Enjoy your ride today. We will be close on meeting you back at Forestville. But will looks like you will be a day ahead of us. We hope to be in Forestville Monday night. Safe travels back and you have a great notch to carve in the riding stick for that adventure. 

Happy Trails RR

26 minutes ago, RoadRunner said:

Awesome adventure and trail report Iceman. You truly are traveling with best of the QR gang.  Congratulations on your achievement. For some reason we understand how your day went. We have had several of them along this trip lol. Enjoy your ride today. We will be close on meeting you back at Forestville. But will looks like you will be a day ahead of us. We hope to be in Forestville Monday night. Safe travels back and you have a great notch to carve in the riding stick for that adventure. 

Happy Trails RR

Thanks RR, reading your posts is very inspiring. You have got my wheels turning on what next. You guys got it together there. All the best. Yes sorry we will not cross paths another time my friend. 

11 hours ago, Trailblazer said:

This where the adventure begins

IMG_0217.thumb.JPG.acd686717ec997b799d647270bf63130.JPG

A lot of this going on today

IMG_0218.thumb.JPG.2620bd1c16b4f8bd86798259d2901e76.JPG

IMG_0219.thumb.JPG.c3d7ce1c339de439b84001087842001a.JPG

I have to officially rate this portion of the 3 EXPERT. 

I've seen in the catalogs where they sell winches for sleds . Looks like this one of those places you could use one. Good on you boys to get through those monster rollers ! 

Edited by snowfarmer