Gaspe March 5-10

Grampsledder

Just arrived at the Universel.   We start our 6 day trip in the morning.  We've started all 7 of our tours of the Gaspe here but never seen so many snowmobiles here before.  The place is packed with rigs.  We'll post trail updates.   We read the updates from other riders and greatly appreciated the real time info.   Amqui tomorrow.  

Russ and Pam

1 hour ago, Grampsledder said:

Just arrived at the Universel.   We start our 6 day trip in the morning.  We've started all 7 of our tours of the Gaspe here but never seen so many snowmobiles here before.  The place is packed with rigs.  We'll post trail updates.   We read the updates from other riders and greatly appreciated the real time info.   Amqui tomorrow.  

Russ and Pam

Have fun!

chris

We rode from the Universel to the Ambassedeur in Amqui.   Early on the  fields had some drifts and there were studded bumps on some of the power lines.   Took the 579 after a recommendation.  Nice trail in the woods. Had lunch at Domaine Valga, a first.  Nice log cabin.  The trail to the wind mills was pretty drifted and bumped up with all the soft snow.   Beautiful sunny day with great views up top.    There is a ton of snow here. The banks are 1-2 ft high on the sides of the trail.   Most was groomed and in great shape-the wind was the problem not the grooming.    Overall a great day!   It won't upload my pictures.  I'll try later.  

Hi Russ and Pam!  We are heading up on Sunday.  Sorry we are going to miss you!  Have a great ride.  BTW, I bought an 850 and LOVE IT!  Blake says hi to all!:good:

1 hour ago, Shane said:

Hi Russ and Pam!  We are heading up on Sunday.  Sorry we are going to miss you!  Have a great ride.  BTW, I bought an 850 and LOVE IT!  Blake says hi to all!:good:

Good to hear from you!    So much snow here.   You'll have a great week.   Russ loves his 850.  He finally got the suspension dialed in.   He's been testing the power up here 😎.   

Today was a 10-no question.   The snow quality, the grooming, the terrain, the views, and the weather all led a top notch day!    The trails were mint when we left the Ambassedeur, all groomed and firm.   For the most part the drifts were gone with the exception of a few spots.   90% of the trails were groomed.   We passed groomer laying his ribbon of white-gave him a big hi.    The snow was great even at the end of the day when it was in the mid-upper 20's.   Saw deer and a coyote.  Passed the Intrepid Snowmobiler's team when they were stopped at a store.   We're at the Francis tonight.    Heading for Chandler via the 595, Chic Choc trail, and the 597 tomorrow.  

Another 10 yesterday.   We left New Richmond and took the 595, the Chic Choc trail and the 597 to Chandler.     The 595 was fantastic-hard and fast.  The trail was in excellent shape with only a few studded bumps in a few corners-very minimal.   The Chic Choc trail has been groomed and was in very good shape.   The sun was out and the views on the trail were top notch.   We even got a view of the mountains behind us as we entered Murdochville.   Good lunch at the Copper. We 597 was in great shape with rollers along the way.   Trail 5 to Chandler was in bad shape-bumped up the whole 15+ miles.   Headed to Mont St Pierre tonight. We're going to Perce so our buddy can see the rock.  Freezing rain this morning.  

IMG_1333.PNG

IMG_1334.PNG

IMG_1335.PNG

IMG_1336.PNG

We woke Tuesday morning to freezing rain as predicted.  We decided to delay our start to let it warm up.   Good move, it was turning to rain as we left.  One of the guys had never been to the Gaspe and wanted to see the rock.   So our planned short day became a long day as we headed off to kiss the rock.   Trail 5 out of Chandler that had been beaten up was freshly groomed overnight and was in great shape even though it was soft.   That changed when we hit the local trail to Perce.  It was bad-studder bumps, washboard, huge bumps, it was tough.  Got a few pictures of the rock which was thankfully visible under the cloud bank and headed off to Gaspe on 5.  We gassed before Gaspe in Douglastown, a long run off the trail but the only option before turning down the local trail to the 597N.   It was our first time on that local connector-a beautiful trail.   The rain started up again and turned to snow near Murdochville.  Overall the trails from Perce were mixed-some groomed, some showing wear from the warm weather and traffic.   The high overlook west of Mont Louis was fogged in so we missed the beautiful valley view.   Overnight in Mont St Pierre.   North shore today-our favorite.   

IMG_1351.PNG

IMG_1350.PNG

IMG_1348.PNG

Great day!   Trails from Mont St Pierre to Matane were in great shape.   They were freshly groomed, hard and fast.   A squall came through in the afternoon and caused some drifting.   The views of the St Lawrence River on the north shore are spectacular.   The climbs in and out of the mountains were steep and rugged.   There really is nothing like the Gaspe.   

IMG_1376.PNG

IMG_1377.PNG

IMG_1378.PNG

IMG_1379.PNG

Temps were frigid with a strong wind as we headed back to the truck this morning.    Trails overall are in very good shape.   They are pretty firm 20 or so miles out from Riviere du Loup but we were not overheating.   There is plenty of coverage-no dirt or ice.   Overall there is tons of snow and conditions should be good for quite a while.  Hear there may be more snow coming mid week.  Great time at the Riotel last night hanging out with the Intrepid Snowmobiler and his team.  Got some good info on other regions.   Thinking maybe Cote Nord next year.  1100 miles in 6 days.  

Russ and Pam

Hi Russ and Pam.  Glad you made it back safely.  Sounds like it was a successful trip.

For scheduling, Cote Nord tends to be better mid to late season and not so good early season.  The snow gods run out of snow by the time they get to Cote Nord in December and early January.

Jack & Sandi

Edited by revct1

51 minutes ago, revct1 said:

For scheduling, Cote Nord tends to be better mid to late season and not so good early season.  The snow gods run out of snow by the time they get to Cote Nord in December and early January.

Jack & Sandi

Thinking this week next year.  Heard it can get pretty cold up there too.   Thanks for the comment!

So your gramps!

It's been a great trip. Got to know a few new people. 

We had fun with you guys and gals.  Thanks a bunch for the fireball, going to keep that in mind for the next trip.

Cote Nord is a great trip, less traveled good scenery. If you need any tips shoot me a msg, I don't check on the forums much.

P.S I was one of the tall guys in Craigs bunch, you gave my wife the fireball after dinner. Pleasure to meet you Russ and Pam.

Johnny and Trish

On 3/10/2017 at 10:52 PM, JohnnyB said:

So your gramps!

It's been a great trip. Got to know a few new people. 

We had fun with you guys and gals.  Thanks a bunch for the fireball, going to keep that in mind for the next trip.

Cote Nord is a great trip, less traveled good scenery. If you need any tips shoot me a msg, I don't check on the forums much.

P.S I was one of the tall guys in Craigs bunch, you gave my wife the fireball after dinner. Pleasure to meet you Russ and Pam.

Johnny and Trish

Nice to meet you guys too!    Grampsledder because of the 2 year grandson!   Love the Fireball...