Yet another Gaspe report!

neksledr

Here is yet another thread on doing the Gaspe loop! Wife Molly and I drove up to the Universal yesterday from Vermont. Met Mikerider, Jack, Sandi and several other Quebec Riders. Had dinner and breakfast with Jack and Sandi, then said our good-byes. Left the universal at 8:10, destination Carleton. Took 5 east all the way to 579 south, to 587 and stopped at Groomers clubhouse for a bowl of soup at 12:30 with 190 miles. Lots of fresh grooming, fair amount of day old stuff, and very little bumpy terrain. Some drifting in the open areas. No sign of groomer, maybe Linda sled girl over served the rouge last night! From. The clubhouse we took 587 briefly, then took an orange shortcut trail through Sainte Florence back over to 5 east. This was a good move, great fast trail with no traffic. Our next move, or actually lack of, cost us so.e extra miles with many bumps added in. Planned on taking the short cut orange trail off from 5 that dumps you into L'Alverne back on the 5, but we missed it! Ended up staying on the 5 down through Pointe a-la Croix, and that plain sucked! Once we got within 30 miles of Carleton, we had a super flat and fast finish all the way to Hostellerie Baie Bleue. Good way to finish the day, pulled in at 5:45 with 303.1 miles for the day. Getting cleaned up and headed to the bar for some well deserved bourbon! Will try to post some pics....

IMG_20170306_120704735_HDR.jpg

Neksleder, groomer was done by that time, we met him 9:30 on his way back from the cable bridge, the short cut is just a few miles once you go over the bridge, I almost missed it,if you are "moving" you can miss it, it was not heavily travelled so I assumed lots more miss it, great run for the first day!!

6 minutes ago, mcstar said:

Neksleder, groomer was done by that time, we met him 9:30 on his way back from the cable bridge, the short cut is just a few miles once you go over the bridge, I almost missed it,if you are "moving" you can miss it, it was not heavily travelled so I assumed lots more miss it, great run for the first day!!

Mcstar, 10-4 on that! Actually did see it but was sifting along at a good clip and didn't see any signs and  figured it was to late to turn back once I realized that. The 5 trail was perfect at that point, but almost immediately went into bump mode that lasted for many miles. Pretty sure today was the best we will see all week, the sun is gonna hide on us and the temps will climb. Easy day tomorrow, headed to the copper in murdochville

Hi guys.  We were hoping things went well for you.  It was a beautiful day.  You stretched it out a little further than expected but still arrived at a reasonable time for the miles.  Wish you the best.

Jack & Sandi

hi terry and mario !!!

rough weekend !!!

started grooming at 4 am .....back at 3 20 pm....in 17 years of grooming ...i don t remember seeing tq 5 destroyed like that !!!

4 windy days in a row...week with no school...carnival in ste marguerite + the tourists ...timing was perfect for rough trails...

this where i met mario...about 4 miles west of st fidele cb !!!

met 2 guys..americans i guess..just before the drifts after the 90' corner on my way down to st fidele cb....they were happy to see me....and they still had a great sense of humor !!!

jean-guy

DSC_1923.jpg

DSC_1925.jpg

DSC_1927.jpg

DSC_1928.jpg

DSC_1932.jpg

DSC_1935.jpg

DSC_1936.jpg

DSC_1938.jpg

DSC_1941.jpg

DSC_1944.jpg

DSC_1946.jpg

DSC_1947.jpg

Funny how you recognize all the sleds pictured here as we go along. Green cat gang is here in Peace with us. That larger gang we first met on the hwy here at a St Huberts.

And to the Jacks couple...nice posting.

We were the fellas above you from Baie Blue. Happy riding

Day 2- We leave Carleton not until 10am as we have a short day planned. We stay on 5 until the 595 breaks north. Everything to this point has been groomed nicely. Get to the orange trail a few clicks up the 595 and it was groomed during the evening with maybe 4 sets of sled tracks, we follow. Beautiful flat run all the way up and reconnect back on 595. The run all the way to la Cache was as good as it gets. Took fuel, quick granola snack and back up and grab orange trail to murdochville. This also was a treat to ride. A few drifts here and there, but a lot of fun. Pull into the copper at 3:30 with 155 real easy miles. And thanks for the Jack shots Johnny B!

IMG_20170307_150706454_HDR.jpg

7 hours ago, JohnnyB said:

Jean Guy we also saw you at selecthoteleast and grooming on Monday.  Nice work..thanks!!

5 was great

hi johnnyb !!!

thx...very appreciated !!!

i was nt smiling much when i started grooming ....wooowww...very bumpy !!!

great shot terry with back end of sled and little shack !!!

jean-guy

Edited by groomer

Day 3.       With the forecast calling for freezing rain, we decided to alter our travel plans. Initially we were going to leave the copper and head down 597 to see the Rock and then head up 5 to Grand vallee for the evening. But as the rain and sleet we're falling in the morning, we reminded ourselves that we were on vacation, and we didn't have to ride in crappy weather! Plan was revised to just take the short route to Grand vallee. However.....When we left the copper at 9:30, the rain has stopped and we changed our plans yet again. Everything has been fresh groomed on 5, so we headed west. Took tons of pics of mt st Pierre and checked out all of the lookouts. Was not a sunny day, but still incredible views. Took fuel in Sainte Anne Des monts, took soup at next relais (can't remember name) and sailed all the way to Matane for a night at the Riotel. We battled a a little bit of rain and a whole lot of heavy snow for the last 30 miles, but the trail was flat and fast nearly the entire day. The last 10 miles had some chop and we were navigating red stake to red stake as it was near whiteout conditions. Glad we made adjustments to our day, it turned out fantastic!   Pulled into the Riotel at 5pm with 197 miles for the day and an incredible sunset to boot just as the snow quit!

IMG_20170308_170951909_HDR.jpg

Good one for the on the go revised planning Terry, this is what separates a rider from a snowmobiler, now the next step is to take on Mikerider with his offer of a case of wine. Jesus i'll drive up and meet you for that offer. Oh Mikey Mikey!!!!

22 hours ago, neksledr said:

Took fuel in Sainte Anne Des monts, took soup at next relais (can't remember name) and sailed all the way to Matane for a night at the Riotel.

I'm pretty sure that's relais Adelme in St.Adelme, trail goes right through the parking area and the gas station is in the back of it.