It's all about the timing tour .

snowfarmer

Well we put it off a few times because of the weather and finally pulled the trigger and landed in RDL at the Universal Thursday night . By looking at the the grooming map  we should of waited one more day lol! Any way the 8  us of loaded up and headed out on 5 distination Cap Chat and the Grande nature Chic-Chocs.  

The trail was a mixed bag and that was to be expected with the near freezing mark and the traffic. The power lines where great with about 3 inches of new snow . Just before we reached Rimouski we lost a ski doo 800 to a blown engine( more on this later! )  It was windy with some blown drifts in fields but not bad. We took 578 to Mont Joli and hit 5 to Saint Damase . Well we got to the river and a club member was just putting up the tape to close the trail across it . The edge on the east side opened up about 4 feet . They had some wood pallets they had used but it had open up to much to be trusted . The water was about 4 foot deep he showed us . Well he said he would float them one more time for us . Nora was unsure but went along and made the crossing . We were the last , but with the cold it might tighten up in the next couple of days. In St Damase we met up with Mcstar and his crew for a nice little visit at the club house . The rest of the way was a mix of groomed and chop to Cap Chat. 252 miles and the crew was glad for the end of the day . COLD and windy this morning!

IMG_4075.JPG

IMG_4079.JPG

IMG_4077.JPG

IMG_4085.JPG

IMG_4089.JPG

IMG_4080.JPG

IMG_4084.JPG

IMG_4093.JPG

IMG_5238.JPG

Edited by snowfarmer

Just arrived in Mont St Pierre for a little lunch at the Le Delice. Trails to here have been all top notch . Will continue on 5 and see how things are on the top side

IMG_4097.JPG

IMG_4096.JPG

IMG_5270.JPG

IMG_5276.JPG

IMG_5278.JPG

Edited by snowfarmer

The third picture is surreal.  The sleds in the foreground are crisp and very black and white while the background of the bluff and the river is almost grayed out.  It  looks as if they are posing in front of a Hollywood set.  Perfect shot David!

Jack & Sandi

1 hour ago, revct1 said:

The third picture is surreal.  The sleds in the foreground are crisp and very black and white while the background of the bluff and the river is almost grayed out.  It  looks as if they are posing in front of a Hollywood set.  Perfect shot David!

Jack & Sandi

Thanks Jack Rob took that one . Was a cold day today but he lined that one up good and quick !

Well if anybody has any doubt about running the North Shore no need to worry. 

5 is almost back in shape! The areas that have been showing no good these past couple of days have been groomed up or we passed groomers heading in those directions. We only had about 10 miles of crap just past Cloridorme  but passed the groomer and should be good  Tommorow. Hats off to the grooming staff! We are at Rivière-au-Renard. 190 miles of smiles ! What a difference a day makes!

IMG_4127.JPG

IMG_5282.JPG

IMG_5296.JPG

IMG_5292.JPG

Edited by snowfarmer

Just an update about the Pete( guy with blown motor) that's his new ride.

The dealer in RDL came and picked him up out in the sticks in Rimouski. Hauled him back and took a look at the cylinders and as the the Groomer would say "Kaput"

options rent, 1000$ for the week or buy because he was going to do it next year so... buy it was. They gave him a fair trade and , charged him the Ontario sales tax and moved the trail sticker. Arrange for him to be trucked up to to meet us in the Chic -Chocs and was there for dinner all in the same day!

Great ski -doo dealership !

IMG_4142.JPG

1 hour ago, snowfarmer said:

He got an 850 renegade. There was a end of season discount and with the trade he saved a few thousand over a new 18. Loves it so far!

Pete - That is what I have and if you are moving from the 800 e-tec to the 850 like I did, you will love it.  It does everything the 800 did but better.  Mine pushed a little in the turns when it was new.  Once I got a few miles on it and the suspension settled down and I got use to the machine, it goes wherever I point it.  Enjoy the ride everyone.

Jack & Sandi

Ah the Gaspe ' showed her beautiful self today !  Cold and sunny with hard packed groomed to perfection trails. We lucked out the groomer reports look good leaving riviere au renard . We split into two groups. One group to the Rock in Perce and one group taking the fresh groomed orange trail towards 597 the new south to Chandler .  I was in the latter and have never taken the orange trail south of the town of Gaspe" or have never run the 5 from Chandler to the west.

Both groups were rewarded well for their choices. The scenery and trails (597and orange) were perfect . So perfect we arrived at the club house in Chandler by 11:30 for lunch . After having a leisurely lunch we headed towards our stop for the night which will be New Richmond. Again the clubs worked their magic even with less snow and a hard base things were smooth all the way in. The trails around Bonaventure were espically nice! Great relais! 

We have always taken the trail north to Murdochville and across to La Cache I glad today we went outside our box! 210 miles for the day.

IMG_4153.JPG

IMG_5306.JPG

IMG_5318.JPG

IMG_4149.JPG

IMG_5333.JPG

IMG_4144.JPG

IMG_5321.JPG

Edited by snowfarmer

14 hours ago, Florida Snowman said:

Have a great ride today David!

I'm heading out now.  Just a tad colder today than yesterday eh?

Say hi to Nora!

IMG_2592.thumb.PNG.20a6fbf2f57c678c87dc22019b2a1fd5.PNG

You take it easy too! Looks like a storm is coming mid week!

I started this thread about timing which can mean a lot of different things when doing these kind off tours. The weather , grooming , if you get a hot shower or not because there is to many people in the hotel and the system can't keep up! ( can't you tell this happen to us) I also was hoping we would run into some other QR riders but we were either a little to late or little too early. One thing I wanted to do was to catch up with Linda but she was a day ahead of us . I figured we would catch up in Amqui Sunday for dinner no matter what!  

My buddy Richard who I've been riding with since 97 and done many of these tours with but we always have to watch the weather because of his snow clearing business . Well Ontario is going to get hit with a storm and it's timing couldn't be worse. So we make a plan because we have to get home a day early. I call Linda to see if we can get to Amqui could I borrow her truck so he and I can drive to RDL to retrieve mine . Yup not a problem she says. So this morning we split up again and have Rob lead the group of six while Richard and I do a cannonball run from New Richmond to Amqui. Trail 5 is perfect again with about 75% of it as been groomed in the last 36 hours. We left at 8:35 and made it to the Ambassador by 12;20 . In the truck off to RDL and back by 6 so we can have dinner with the whole crew.

We all got to do dinner but had a nice unexpected surprise that Jean Guy was able to join us before he headed out to groom trail 5 tonight . I didn't have time to take pictures but Rob did . The rest of the group had a great day. 

This was the last trip of the season I'm sad to say. It's off to Whistler next week for some different kind of snow fun. It was a great snowmobile season for sure and I hope to catch up with so old and new faces in 2018.

IMG_4204.JPG

IMG_4180.JPG

Edited by snowfarmer

On 3/11/2017 at 7:27 AM, Jackstraw said:

Looking good David. So what sled did he get? A 4 stroke or 2 stroke

I just want to get this straight the guy started the trip on a four stroke but finished it on a two stroke......can you say tick tick tick Jackstraw???...lol

On 2017-03-13 at 7:59 AM, 182ray said:

I just want to get this straight the guy started the trip on a four stroke but finished it on a two stroke......can you say tick tick tick Jackstraw???...lol

No he started on a 800 then moved to an 850 . The 800 had 17000 km on it and he never did anything to it! Never had issues so he figured why change. He changes every three years anyway.

Edited by snowfarmer

3 hours ago, snowfarmer said:

No he started on a 800 then moved to an 850 . The 800 had 17000 km on it and he never did anything to it! Never had issues so he figured why change. He changes ever three years anyway.

Ok thanks for straightening me out I jumped to that conclusion based on the picture of the grey sled hooked to a tow rope