Icemans Season Ender part 1

iceman

Day 3

Left La Saguenee in Chicoutimi 8:15, blue skies big sun and not as cold today. Still cold but not too bad. Nice riding weather. 83 is in nice shape all the way to 367. This trail is just as nice, hell they are all perfect. Its still full on winter here. Across the two bridges and up 367 to 93 then back to 367 then Orange trail straight up and over to Relais Mont Vilain. All trails excellent passed groomer on Local trail grooming a perfect flat trail. Keep at boys I'll be back in a few days. 8-10 miles from Relais, We see the trail marked Tour De Montagne. Well alrighty lets go check this out. Well as Playhard will tell you "not all ideas are good ones" we start up this single lane "trail"? Or so they say. It goes on and i see a sign says 4km more, Now if there was ever a time to follow your instincts it was then and i knew i should have aborted the mission there and then, but did not. It soon got steeper and steeper. I'm good but worried about my 2 new guys with 1.5 days experience this is getting iffy. Well too late cause is single sled wide and straight up now no where to turn back if we wanted to. I make it up but it was not easy big trenched out straight up climb you lose momentum game over. I reach a place with enough of a place to get turned around. But I am alone, after 2 minutes Andy climbs up but no Al and no Playhard. Andy says he thinks Al got stuck as he lost momentum. Ok now. If I go down to help and he made it past that last part then we are heading right for each other with no where to pass. I wait and am hearing nothing. I gotta go help. I slide on down cause it looked even steeper going down find Al spun out on the straight up part. He is holding the brake and not sliding back yet. David has backed down to give room but Al is trying his best but up aint gonna happen, i am able to jump up on snow bank and found a spot to park off trail, i hurry down to Al and take over. I roll back a bit but too much ice to climb up. I back sled down and get him turned around. David has backed down and is turned around. Great, Andy arrives and the three start down leaving me to crawl back up the Icey straight up slope to try to get back to my sled, felt like Mount Everest to me. Damn this was not a good idea. We make it back out onto the real trail, lick our wounds and have a good laugh about it. Off we go not too far from there I leave the trail and I jump out on River and we take the Vilain express. 

No visit at Relais Vilain today but maybe 15 sleds there at Noon. We have passed 2 so far. Leave there on 367 and down to gas there in Lamarche. 367 all the way to 93 in St Monique. All mint. Super conditions. Back to 367 to Peribonka. The trail here near the river crossing (peribonka) is marked Ferme' Danger. As there are fresh tracks we push on. Big heaves on the ice and on far side a big crevasse where the ice has given up but refrozen now, nice but its a. 8 foot drop that will get your attention if you are not paying attention or come through at night. There is a goat trail go around and we get through and back on solid ground. Back to 93 and direction Dolbeau. River crossing here is solid but is running water out further that was not there 3 weeks ago. Certainly the rivers and lakes will determine the end of the season up here. There is tons of snow. The ice will give before the trails. 

Through Dolbeau and 93 up to Girardville. Gas here and we take a late lunch. In the resto I meet Michael, he was the snowmobile club president and i did not ask if he still was. He recognized me from our last meeting last year at the gas station. He says new trail should be open next season. One bridge has been built and second should get done in next few weeks. Trail will go off of 93 near Girardville and take you to Relais Mont Vilain onto river there from the north using part of Local trail that has been closed there. Can not wait. 

Up over the top through Lac A Jim and its nice a bit of drifts in some spots but nothing horrible. Down 93 and to 373 past Relais des Buttes and smooth shot into St Felicien. 238 miles. New guys love quebec and are amazed, "the best adventure ever" says my brother in law. They love it. 

Tomorrow off to the Fairmont in La Malbie. Snow is coming things are gonna get interesting. Seeing 25-30cm for Quebec and up to La Malbie Tuesday night through Wednesday. We shall see. 

•  
  •  
Edited by iceman

2 minutes ago, mikerider said:

Very familiar with that single lane mountain trail. Our experience was much the same as yours.

mike

It got crazy steep. Big deep trenches not good. So you know exactly what i mean.

3 hours ago, MrGutz said:

I know the Steep and Deep, just north of Mt Vilian, Brother "Long Hair" was leading up to a "look out", it kept saying 3kms to the top.

The sled is almost straight up and down.

GutZ

Dan-Mtn-Stuck.thumb.JPG.4b474db64f1b1749e20547913742e07d.JPG

That's about right

Day 4 

leave St Felicien at 8:15 am out onto 373 not warm again today. 373 is drifted a bit in the usual places but not bad. See 4-5 sleds between Felicien and Roberval. Trail is pretty sweet. Down thru the Manor Roberval and to the lac. We take the trail across to Chambord. Lake is not bad a few rollers but fairly smooth. 

To be Continued 

Ok Ok day 4 goes on. 

Off at Chalets and Spas Chambord. Looks like they had a fire here as one of the buildings is burned right to the ground. Hmm. Well trail is groomed fresh all the way up to 83. At 83 the beat goes on. Its table top smooth and no tracks. Fresh groomed. We head for Hebertville. I have never in a long long time seen this section so perfect. At just before Desbiens where trail is back on lake forvthat short run, i cannot believe my eyes. I've never seen the lake ice groomed before but maybe i am wrong. It's perfect groom right over and thru the woods there to the next crossing under the two bridges and up into Desbiens. Great trails and no traffic. (Well we do see 2 sleds) I know i've said thus before but just as a public service announcement i feel i need to ask nicely, PLEASE do not give me Hand Signals Thank You for your co-operation, If you could see yourself struggling for control trying to signal me and corner with one hand on the bars it really is not a good look for you. Scary shit. Handsignals are useless information. Like buying a cassette player to put in your car.....WHY?  But no matter what......Yup it's good to be us today. 

Continuing on 83 is all groomed and stellar right to 23/83 and we are off throgh Presbytre and up and left on the 83. Down 83 and to the sector with the "Sentier Donald" trail of the day of course. Wow! We are spoiled. Happy Campers. Easy cruise into gas by the Delta. Just before noon. 

Out of there and yes 83 it is. Down through Chicoutimi and we roll. There are 3 fighter jets circling around La Baie. Very impressive to say the least. Into Bec and Cie for lunch at 1pm. Jets still flying around their sound is the same as my Apex. 

Nice Lunch and still no other sleds. On down 83 and she does not disappoint. Great Time through the "Clermont Express" madness. Near Clermont much more ice under loose snow. Surprisingly like the trails going to St Raymond day 1 from Shawinigan. They been tearing it up round here. Trails are good but slick. Gas in Clermont and up to 378 beatiful run up and into Fairmont at 4:30. 234 miles i think. 

Into garage and what do you know i'm parked next to Scorpionbowl and Florida Snowman. We hit the outdoor pool and hotbtub and have a few drinks. The Snow is starting. Nice time outdoors in the water on way up to room we take a side tour for some photo ops. Time to get changed, dinner is 8:30. I run up to see mr Scorpionbowl and we have a drink and discuss plans for retirement. We have a drink (thanks for the beer my friend) and discuss how if we had to be stranded it might as well be here.

Off to the Dinner of a lifetime. Two Words "Tomahawk Ribeye"  yes please. (Cue the pics Playhard) get you some of that.

The way the wind is blowing and with the amount of snow forecast. Let's just say we shall see. 

The Curse is real. 

Will we make it to Shawinigan tomorrow? Bonne Question. I'm not a betting man, if i was, hmmmmm odds are not favorable. 

Edited by iceman

The curse could be worse no?

Hazardous winter conditions are expected.

Heavy snow and blowing snow is affecting Southwestern and Central Quebec. Winter storm conditions will spread eastward overnight tonight. We expect significant snowfall amounts: 30 to 40 centimetres generally, except up to 60 centimetres in parts of the Eastern Townships, the Beauce, the Quebec City region, Charlevoix and over the tip of the Gaspé Peninsula.

Strong to high easterly winds possibly exceeding 100 kilometres per hour will accompany the snow, causing widespread blowing snow. In addition, these winds could push the ice onshore in Eastern Quebec.

Consider postponing non-essential travel until conditions improve. Rapidly accumulating snow will make travel difficult. Visibility will be suddenly reduced to near zero at times in heavy snow and blowing snow. Road closures are possible.

16 hours ago, MrGutz said:

I know the Steep and Deep, just north of Mt Vilian, Brother "Long Hair" was leading up to a "look out", it kept saying 3kms to the top.

The sled is almost straight up and down.

GutZ

Dan-Mtn-Stuck.thumb.JPG.4b474db64f1b1749e20547913742e07d.JPG

Is it possible to "like" a post more than once?! The tree hugger part is special. But the pie-eating-grin is da bomb!

That's right where a couple of the 4 Yamm's sat on some ice. But we're more about digging ditches than climbing trees!

2 minutes ago, dooright said:

2 feet of new snow here in Vermont and its heading your way by the sounds . Looking like a awesome ride you guys are on so far !

Yes Randy, wish you guys were here...your kinda trail today. You know the one you need to look for then make yourself.

26 minutes ago, PLAYHARD said:

Is it possible to "like" a post more than once?! The tree hugger part is special. But the pie-eating-grin is da bomb!

That's right where a couple of the 4 Yamm's sat on some ice. But we're more about digging ditches than climbing trees!

Believe it or not, the sled is not up against a tree, just dig in to the point of standing staight up and down!

GutZ

Gotta love the trails when they are at thier best, today will be a little more challenging guys but not as challenging as Havre, they have sticks and signs in Chalevoix.

2 ft of snow in MTL with lots of wind through the night and still snowing lightly, biggest one we had all winter. 

Okay Ice are you guys camping out at the Faitmont or busting trail to Shawini today?

Edited by Trailblazer

Great running into Iceman, Playhard, Al & Andy at the Fairmont Richelieu!

Today should be a little more challenging navigating with the new snow, heavy winds & drifting.  

Destination is ...........................?

Snowmobiling is always an adventure right JG?