Planning for next year.

Shore1066

We have decided to put a GPS system on one of our sleds next year. Question is what garmin model will do the job. I've read the 500 or 550 model work well but I don't seem to be able to find much information on the models. Are there better models available.  Also mounding to the sled is important.  Any suggestions will be appreciated.  Thanks.

I just returned from an 8 day Gaspe' trip and have a Garmin Nuvi 67LM mounted on my windshield bag. It's great to have the large 7" screen to to see upcoming turns in the trail at a glance. My Nuvi requires constant power so I just left it plugged into my powerport while riding. No issues with cold temps and the one day we ran in the freezing rain and just put the unit inside a clear plastic bag. It worked perfectly the entire trip and now I have the tracks from every mile of the trip and the data includes average speed, moving time, non moving time and elevations. The graphs on Basecamp are easy to read and understand. Unit and mount cost me less than $150.

I will not ride without a GPS again, even on my local trails in Vermont, because I don't need to unfold the map at any intersections.

Edited by PINKM1

I like my Montana 650T. Garmin makes the Tempe temperature sensor that pairs with the Montana. You can set it up to display the ambient temperature. The Zumo isn't compatible with the Tempe.

Edited by 182ray

I started with a Nuvi 550 many years ago.  It has the wire for power and I did the handle bar mount.  It worked good for many years.

This year we bought a Zumo 660 LM (Lifetime Map updates thank you Ray) for Sandi's sled.  She has a Renegade and we mounted it with a glove box extension like 182 Ray mounted his Montana.  This mounts in a cradle so there are no wires to deal with once everything is set up.  After using the Zumo center mounted, the Nuvi on the handle bars is old hat.  If you have a Ski Doo, the glove box extension is nice.  Other sleds you can probably mount centered in front of you too.  This protects the GPS from the elements and branches.  It also makes it very easy to view.  We haven't tried any other models.

Garmin is the way to go.  Cradle mount definitely, centered in front of the driver if possible, large screen, motorcycle application will be vibration and moisture resistant.

We purchased ours from gpscity.com

Jack & Sandi

Me too. I LOVE my Montana 650. A gift the Mrs., so I guess she really does want me to return home! Hard-wired w/Ram mount & annual Trakmaps updates. Takes a lickin... 

And without going down into the "size matters" gutter, this unit can be set to auto-zoom when tracking upcoming turns, so it's plenty visible. The only bummer is wiping snow off the touch-screen and changing the view while under way.

gps.thumb.png.5a0c2085b091fd23aec764934c50daf1.png

I have a 276c from 2007. It is no longer supported by trakmaps. I still like it a lot. I bought a Montana and was not happy with the touch screen. I then got the 276cx and a trakmaps card (fits in the Montana cradle).

I keep one zoomed at 800ft and the other at 2mi.

I noticed the 276cx going 2.5 MPH sitting on the desk in my hotel room. It showed more mileage at the end of the day all 11 days in use (moving while stopped). I guess a firm ware update is due.

(2/26/17 off to a warm start.)

IMG_1040_zpssb370v5c.jpg