New to Gaspee - Stop recommendations

chuck427

Hi Group,

We do not have enough time to make the whole trip so trying to plan out a short version... Looking for some recommendations for Day 2 stop.

Day 1: Edmunston to New Richmond

Day 2: New Richmond to Mont St Pierre or ?? - 595 to 597, stop in Murdochville onto 5.  Question is should we stay in Mont St. Pierre where we have a reservation at "Le Delice motel"? or continue to or toward, Saint Anne des Monts? Looks like a nice hotel "Auberge Chateau Lamontagne"? I am not even sure if its accessible. any suggestions?

Day 3: Hotel Rimouski

Thank You in advance... 

Its 150 miles from Ste Anne Des Monts to Hotel Rimouski.

Its 217 from Mt St Pierre.

Getting into Hotel Rimouski can be difficult if snow is low in town. It is very nice with all amenities.

I just stayed at Domaine Valga its at a high elevation they have good snow. If you like a quiet place I can recommend it. its 20 miles less on the trail.

1st%20timer%2003_zpsndul8pff.jpg

IMG_1900_zpsvaqjuqjz.jpg

1st%20timer%2002_zpsvi9senkx.jpg

How far do you want to travel each day?  How does your group ride-aggressive or not?   We just did the 595 and the Chic Choc trail from New Richmond and they were groomed and fairly firm the day we did them so pretty fast.   Took 1.5 hours to LaCache, and another 2 to Murdochville (about 60 miles each) with some waiting for slower riders.  Great trails.  With snow your time with increase.  There is a rugged mountain to go over just before Mont St Pierre-total 1.5-2 hrs from Murdochville.   The two Mont St Pierre motels are very basic but it's a long ride through the mountains to Saint Anne des Monts-50 miles approx.  there are lots of climbs and descents-slower going.  Nice views in that section so recommend you do it in the daylight.  The trails open up after Cap Chat again.  So if you ride aggressively and can handle the ups and down, twists and turns, have good weather, and can ride 225 +/- miles go further.   Hope this helps.

Edited by Grampsledder

Thank You for the replys. There will be a group of 4 of us and we ride pretty aggressive but cautions obviously. We have no problem doing 250+ miles per day.  Like you said When I researched Mont St Pierre they looked very basic.  

My concern is that there doesn't look like much in Mont St Pierre and Ste Anne Des Monts looks like the hotels are a little nicer. Would you say this is accurate or are they both relatively equal?

Do you know what trail runs toward Ste Anne Des Monts off of 5?

As far as Rimouski is concerned we have stayed at Hotel Rimouski a few times and enjoy it there, but that is typically as far as we go.  We are not familar with Mont St Pierre, Ste Anne Des Monts, etc... So trying to decide if its worth pushing the day with a few more miles...

For the most scenic ride you want to do your proposed route. NR to LaCache -Murdochville-Mont Saint Pierre

You may know for gas at LaCache you need to go a few miles N of the Murdochville Trail junction on 595. Gas, cash only, no food.

Grampsledder summed the trip up very well. it will be a full days ride to carry on to St Anne De Monts. I assumed they just had the time change so an extra hour of light at night will be a big positive.

MSP both motels are definitely older Mom and Pop type places. St. Anne de Monts are more modern type hotels.

2 weeks ago was my first time I've been in St Anne De Monts. We went to the Hotel &Cie for lunch. Gas station across the road.

We had to run a few blocks of pavement to get to it from the end of the Orange trail that goes into town. The restaurant and food was excellent, I would definitely stay here if needed. The Motel Brunante was right next door, also looked like a decent place.

Just looking at a street map of the place you wondered about I'm thinking it is not very accessible by sled. Maybe someone has been there and there is a good way by trail?????

The issue we had on our recent trip staying at a couple of the older motels was the lengthy time it took to have supper and breakfast. They are trying to survive with very limited staff. one poor waitress and one cook in a tiny kitchen are trying to serve a lot of people at one time. Food was usual good but very slow to be served.

Great info... Thx

I think we will keep both reservations for now: Le Delice in Mont St pierre and also Hotel & Cie in St Anne De Monts if we can make it.

Will keep our plan NR to LaCache -Murdochville-Mont Saint Pierre - St Anne De Monts

Can anyone shed some light as far as route and fuel capabilities

Leaving from New Richmond to either Mont Saint Pierre Or St Anne De Monts.

Would you recommend taking 5 to 597 or heading straight north on 595 to the orange trail then picking up 597 to 5?

The orange trail (I don't know why the Orange trails aren't numbered) between LaCache and Murdochville is one of the "must do" trails in the Gaspe.

So you would go N on 595 from New Richmond, gas at LaCache, Orange Trail to Murdochville, gas there as it's handy, then N on 597 to MSP .

We found riding trail 5 if come across gas right on the trail or very close we would stop and fill if half tank or less. Some of the fuel options maybe in the small towns that can be 5-10 km off the main trail. Can lose 30 or 40 mins  pretty quick.

When are you starting your trip? You likely have seen the weather for this week. Looks like a snow storm with high winds We'd and Thursday. You don't want to be on the N shore if getting a storm. 

We are starting from Edmunston to New Richmond on Friday. 

We were leaning toward 595 to the orange trail so anyway so that will be great.

Been keeping an eye on the weather because we are coming from RI and getting 12-18" here.  

1 minute ago, chuck427 said:

We are starting from Edmunston to New Richmond on Friday. 

We were leaning toward 595 to the orange trail so anyway so that will be great.

Been keeping an eye on the weather because we are coming from RI and getting 12-18" here.  

What route are you planning to take from Edmundston to New Richmond?

14 hours ago, Fuse6 said:

The orange trail (I don't know why the Orange trails aren't numbered) between LaCache and Murdochville is one of the "must do" trails in the Gaspe.

So you would go N on 595 from New Richmond, gas at LaCache, Orange Trail to Murdochville, gas there as it's handy, then N on 597 to MSP .

We found riding trail 5 if come across gas right on the trail or very close we would stop and fill if half tank or less. Some of the fuel options maybe in the small towns that can be 5-10 km off the main trail. Can lose 30 or 40 mins  pretty quick.

When are you starting your trip? You likely have seen the weather for this week. Looks like a snow storm with high winds We'd and Thursday. You don't want to be on the N shore if getting a storm. 

Agree with Fuse6- do the 595, gas at La Cache, take the Chic Choc (orange) trail to Murdochville and gas again, and head north on the 597 to Mont St Pierre.    Great trails.   Rural, you won't see anything for 60 mile stretches.   The Hotel Copper in Murdochville has good food   

Just drove home Saturday.  Ready to go back.

Edited by Grampsledder

5 hours ago, chuck427 said:

Through Moose Valley to 5

Certainly a do-able day, you will be in the 250 mile neighborhood if you take the L'Alverne short cut. Just watch the weather as the trail from Moose Valley to Amqui is lower grooming priority and isn't as well signed as others. Make sure you are topped right up on fuel at Moose Valley before you head to Amqui.

Any insight on the upcoming storm and possibly getting 20 inches in the region?  We heard the drifts get pretty high up on the north shore on 5. We would be heading north from New Richmond toward Mont St Pierre on Saturday. Then Mont St Pierre toward Rimouski Sunday. 

Do you think it will be under control by then?

Edited by chuck427

26 minutes ago, chuck427 said:

Any insight on the upcoming storm and possibly getting 20 inches in the region?  We heard the drifts get pretty high up on the north shore on 5. We would be heading north from New Richmond toward Mont St Pierre on Saturday. Then Mont St Pierre toward Rimouski Sunday. 

Do you think it will be under control by then?

Really hard to tell... It really depends on the amount of snow they get on the peninsula with this upcoming storm. There are times when they just open the trails with the blade on the groomer then come back to drag the trail. I have seen 4-7 day periods with no grooming after a decent storm. If the storm lasts into Thursday or Friday I would make a contingency plan.

Edited by PINKM1