2018 Sleds

Trailblazer

Headed up to Laval last night to wet my pallet a little at the OEM sled exhibition, took a few snapshots so here they are boys. Arctic Cat a no show again this year, what's up with that?

These two are my fav this year, Backcountry has got a new suspension, no more T-Motion, choice of track and has the Freerides colors

IMG_4893.JPG.79bce6525a45b1e5eed1f150e39d8839.JPG

137" Freeride with choice of track

IMG_4892.JPG.0c378fb361f99e0f1d57bad9211d2483.JPG

More from BRP

IMG_4897.JPG.77a4a23d9c621c7933c180fdd06ab83a.JPG

IMG_4900.JPG.eb5a3b6e6b6eca1ad4dd63721cfe9e2c.JPG

From Polaris, not sure if it's been too long since I've been looking at the but they got a new beast called Titan, a 20" wide track model.

IMG_4898.JPG.313217db3c9fef0fb8cc3ea84b1e86a8.JPG

IMG_4899.JPG.48d3d8cbca2ad7e9eec09c458d24645f.JPG

IMG_4895.JPG.778288a6e2fc700055b839279d13a08d.JPG

And now a couple from Yamaha, Turbocharge 153 Viper

IMG_4894.JPG.0f609b161814cbc7e10d500392ad2ef3.JPG

For Mr.Iceman

IMG_4901.JPG.e494c6b2237318e14d81b5f0fad21e91.JPG

IMG_4902.JPG.794a7367cb1ca2ab988c21451285e2ac.JPG

Something a little different

IMG_4896.JPG

IMG_4903.JPG

My thoughts on the show.

Yamaha is really pushing those turbos, more available in more models.

BRP are really pushing their 850s

And Polaris are more into the off trail and mountain stuff.

Just my observations from what they were displaying.

32 minutes ago, MrGutz said:

JG

We may run into QC this Friday Night to see the sleds too. Looking at the Enduro, everyone seems to love them, No-Hair will be breaking his in this weekend, Test Drive!!

GutZ

Enjoy guyZ

Enduro.thumb.JPG.cc90eaebd7a90f544c8f7ab94182e7ba.JPG

7 hours ago, mikerider said:

That white Freeride is some sharp!

But save your money JG,  if we cross paths again, will need all our cash for wine.

Safe trails,

mike

No problem Mike, i bring cash you bring wine, you're special blend, none of that bargain stuff eh! Lol.

JG

6 hours ago, MrGutz said:

JG

We may run into QC this Friday Night to see the sleds too. Looking at the Enduro, everyone seems to love them, No-Hair will be breaking his in this weekend, Test Drive!!

GutZ

You guys are not retiring the Red Rocket are you?

I don't understand the focus on 'off-trail' machines by some manufacturers. It doesn't benefit us snowmobilers in the East/mid-West markets since most of that type of riding is in the West. Why I find it particularly annoying is the damage they do to groomed trails when they exit and enter the groomed trail. (The paddle tracks generally raise hell with the main part of the trail too) Then there are the landowner issues with off-trail riding when permissions have only been granted for the marked trail -
The ads have created a culture of romanticizing off-trail riding but that hits the reality of limited off-trail riding areas in the East -

Yes, I have been thinking about that for a couple of years, we all know going off trail is a big problem when in Quebec and all the makers should know it too, especially BRP being natives. All I can think is out West this must be a HUGE money maker. So much of the network in the east requires great relationships with private land owners, and going off trail and running over a bunch of 3 year old trees that eventually go to market could really kill a lot of people. Just think if the logging company shut of access to Repo and Cabanon, Repo, Katawana, Casey and Parent lost all that business and their help lost their jobs because of a trail closure from disrespectful riders. When the park was shut down St Donat lost half of it's business because the trail to St Zenon and everywhere else that you could go from there basically disappeared. Now the merchants there are hoping to persuade the province to reopen the park. Over the years snowmobile manufactures have overcome every obstacle the naysayers have thrown our way. sleds are now quiet safe, and meet noise and pollution standards, and we have a much better product to enjoy our sport with, all because of new technology that many thought could not be done. so all that is left is for environmentalists to take away our trails or brake up the network LETS BE SMART AND RESPONSIBLE AND ENCOURAGE OTHERS AS WELL!!

From what I have seen is the younger people getting into the sport of snowmobiling are enjoying the off trail ability of the sleds more so than "our" group that have been riding for many years.  I do like saddle bagging or the day loops out of the hotel.  I also appreciate the enjoyment of going off trail even though I don't go off trail (intentionally).

The off trail riders are also bringing money into the sport and new blood.  They buy sleds, gear, gas, etc. just like we do.   At some time in the future when their bodies are older like ours, maybe they too will enjoy the trail ride versus the boondocking but they are the new riders that are replacing the old riders.  If off trail is getting new people into the industry, that is good but the rules need to be adhered to so the generous land owners that let us enjoy the exceptional outdoors don't withdraw their permission from the clubs.

What I think may help is a program to educate riders, both beginners and experienced, as to what is acceptable and legal and what is not.  My understanding is off trail is acceptable in ZEC areas.  Someone from Quebec may be able to shed some light on this but I remember a post from years ago about the subject of off trail riding.  What if the FCMQ created a brochure that was handed out with each trail pass issued?  The brochure doesn't have to target the off trail riders only.  It can also inform the trail riders too.  I just saw a post mentioning where trail 5 goes thru the residential area of St Lambert in Chaudiere, there is to be no snowmobile traffic between the hours of 11:00 PM and 7:00 AM.  That is fine, I respect that and I probably would not be out during those hours anyways but I didn't know that and I don't remember seeing any signage on the trail stating that.  

Equipment such as mirrors, exhaust modifications, studs, protective gear, etc. could all be put into a brochure.  If there are restrictions on trail use, use of VTT trails where the trails mix or crisscross, wheeled vehicles vs. tracked vehicles there is a lot of information that could be disseminated via pamphlet.  The cost?  Get a couple of advertisers.  The ones that have the most to lose are ourselves and the manufacturers and all of the businesses.

We also loose sight of everything outside of own world here in the Northeast.  There are so many other snowmobiling areas that don't have the financing to support a trail system like the one we enjoy so much.  In those areas, off trail is the only type of riding so the manufacturers can't ignore that segment of the market.

Just our humble thoughts.

Jack & Sandi

Well I'm sure my thoughts or questions may open up a can of what ever but what to hell. Questions like are these guys connecting to their off trail locations have trail pass stickers on their sleds. Do they have insurance and if they hit me who would be responsible.  Now a couple weeks ago while riding near the Mont. St. Pierre  area I seen tracks and the boys with me seen off trackers dive off the groomed trail over the edge into trees below. At first we were thinking suicide and then I was told they did it on purpose. Now back to the subject.  Most of the problems are in the mountain area some will say but I have noticed the paddle tracks in western quebec also. I feel the off trail people as for the new trail riders to quebec need to be educated on how to leave the trail for the next rider the same as it was when he crossed it. My bitch is the corners and hills.  They just get tore up so bad from the trigger happy person.  Just because you have 120 hp don't mean you have to use it all. 

I really did wonder about the tracks going over the edge of the trail. 

After I totaled my sled in mid January I went to Spence to look at a replacement.  When looking at what they had, all I saw was mountain sleds,  They told me that is mostly what they sell.  Went up the road to DRC in Alma and all they had were trail sleds.  They said their customer base were trail riders and sell very few mountain sleds.  One day we had stopped at Relais du Lac in Labreque, this area has lots of blueberry fields and they are marked about staying on the trail and the signs say they are blueberry fields.  We had noticed snowmobile tracks in the fields that were clearly marked.  There were 5 older guys sitting at a table near us so Danny Doo asked them about the tracks in the fields.  They told him that they were patrolling the area in the past couple of days trying to catch the riders who were doing it.  They said there findings were that it is being done at night.  They were going to change the time they patrol.  I have only gone to Mont Valin, past the ski hill on 93, 4 times in the past 2 years because of these mountain sleds and what they do to a trail.  It's a real shame.

The off trail craze isn't much different than when snow cross was the rage & the manufacturers were focused on that. I enjoy getting off the trail & exploring new areas. Years ago Ginger & I met a couple while riding out of Jackman Maine. They could go almost anywhere on logging roads while just using the ITS system as a connector. We were "accepted" as off trail riders because they noticed we didn't spin the track & leave piles of snow. We understood they don't groom off trail. What really makes me shake my head is when I see Johnny stand up & his buds with their back packs, shovels, moto cross helemts with mohawks tearing it up within feet of the groomed trail. Crisscrossing & roosting snow out onto the trail leaving big piles of snow for the next unsuspecting rider. Wow you guys are just awesome!!! 

11 minutes ago, 182ray said:

The off trail craze isn't much different than when snow cross was the rage & the manufacturers were focused on that. I enjoy getting off the trail & exploring new areas. Years ago Ginger & I met a couple while riding out of Jackman Maine. They could go almost anywhere on logging roads while just using the ITS system as a connector. We were "accepted" as off trail riders because they noticed we didn't spin the track & leave piles of snow. We understood they don't groom off trail. What really makes me shake my head is when I see Johnny stand up & his buds with their back packs, shovels, moto cross helemts with mohawks tearing it up within feet of the groomed trail. Crisscrossing & roosting snow out onto the trail leaving big piles of snow for the next unsuspecting rider. Wow you guys are just awesome!!! 

Yep, the all about me rider.

Skiing today isn't much different. Snowboarders just sit down right in the middle of the slopes with no regard for others. Skiers/riders congregate right at the entrance to the lifts & slow down the line. Not to mention people on phones...yep all about me a holes.

I realize this seems like a new trend for the east and yes the potential problems are real of trails deteriorating faster and people circulating without permission on private land or getting off the trail to play in a meadow even when it is posted fragile passage, but on another level I find some humour. In the late 60's all snowmobiles were off trail cause there were no real trails and they actually could go most places. We went almost anywhere we wanted and because almost everyone had a sled, driving through your neighbours property was no big deal cause they drove through yours. I guess the beginning of the non off trail machine started in the early 70's with the free airs. Mine would pretty much get stuck on anything but a packed trail or plowed road. Grin.

Paddle tracks over a certain size should be banned on trail just like modified exhaust. You do not need and cannot ride trails with 2 inch paddled. The damage done by these big lug height sleds is just nuts. Trenching it up. 

I came real close to being hit be a off trail guy. I was almost to La Cache from Murdochville in Chic Chocs. Sleds are parked on side of trail I slow down bigtime good thing. Up from the right just in front of last parked sled on my right. Comes a sled two feet more and he woul have hit me (my helmet and upper body) broadside and tore me off my sled. Too close. Not one person standing there made any signal to me they certainly were watching me coming but i had no idea another sled was downhill off trail right of me climbing up to jump the trail. 

A few instances on 93 past ski hill as Bill said. Bee's nest up there. 

10 hours ago, vt_bluyamaha54 said:

I don't understand the focus on 'off-trail' machines by some manufacturers. It doesn't benefit us snowmobilers in the East/mid-West markets since most of that type of riding is in the West. Why I find it particularly annoying is the damage they do to groomed trails when they exit and enter the groomed trail. (The paddle tracks generally raise hell with the main part of the trail too) Then there are the landowner issues with off-trail riding when permissions have only been granted for the marked trail -
The ads have created a culture of romanticizing off-trail riding but that hits the reality of limited off-trail riding areas in the East -

The climbsI've ridden  in Quebec 2 times in 2017 ,  the 2 first times in my life I've ridden in Quebec! Where I come from (Cleveland) people would kill to ride in terrain like you have in Gaspesie! On dirt bikes we have some killer shit along the W.V border! But we have to drive a couple hundred miles to get there!  Reality is off trail is where it's at! The times are passing some of us by! Especially 4 stroke short track riders! Get a grip on reality and invest in a 2- stroke sled that will get you through a trail  that's not perfectly groomed!  If perfectly groomed trails are what you are loooking for perhaps riding in areas  that have smaller altitude climbs are up your alley!

Miles I hope you enjoyed your two adventures in Quebec.  You spoke of driving 2 hundred miles  to WV. I drive 400 to get to Gaspe so I can ride on the best trails many say in the world. I was told many years ago by a fellow snowmobiler that if I ever got to Gaspe to say a prayer for him because it is the closest to heaven I will ever get. What I am saying is the trails have been this great way before paddle tracks came along and it's not up to me to change.  I also pay and support the clubs of Gaspe for the privilege to ride their trails. It isn't only in Gaspe the paddle trackers are wrecking the trails.  Any where there is logging roads there is off trail riding. And I think that is great but don't tear up the groomed trail to get there. Reality is if this keeps up there won't be any trails because of the damage that is being done.  What happens when Quebec Hydro says no more trails along the power lines because someone got hurt and sued because they hit a boulder.  Hopefully that will never happen but it could. I hope you don't take my response personally but many of us see a problem coming and in my opinion it needs to be addressed soon better than later. 

This thread has been hijacked and I'm one of the guilty parties.  I do think it is a very important discussion to have because it appears to be of great and equal concern to the trail riders and the off trail riders.

JG can you change the title of the thread so we can get more people involved?

Jack & Sandi