Carnage on Highway 55 near Magog

iceman

4 minutes ago, Snobeeler said:

That last hit was a hard one, hope they are alright. Video shows the best course of action if you drive into something like this is the ditch.

Also, hit the 4 way flashers for visibility as soon as you find yourself with one of these ahead of you. Never understood why people think they can still drive fast when conditions are so marginal.

Smart people climbing the hill to get the hell out of there. Taking a big chance getting out of your car but what is worse? Getting pinned in and then a fire? Or trying to get out risking getting hit or pinched between other cars? Crazy.

There was carnage everywhere yesterday. Grid lock on Hwy 13 in Montreal from accidents yesterday left people stranded in their cars all night. Some walked out, they sent buses for some this morning.

the 401 and the 20 didn't fair any better. I friend coming from Cornwall to Hudson got caught in traffic due to a pile up near St Zotique. Took her over 8 hrs to get home, normally an hr or so.

good news is we got plenty of snow.

Just saw on TV they were searching cars abandoned all near QC city. Cops on sleds checking each car, make sure no one inside. 

Edited by iceman

Do we need radar in vehicles to look ahead in white out conditions or do we need to slow down?  Those automatic braking systems probably wouldn't do any good here because there is no traction to stop the vehicle.  Watch out folks!

Jack & Sandi

4 wheel drive, all wheel drive, front wheel drive, don't matter you can get going problem is theres no stopping. Brakes are useless. 

1 hour ago, iceman said:

Just saw on TV they were searching cars abandoned all near QC city. Cops on sleds checking each car, make sure no one inside. 

I was tempted taking the highway with my sled this morning to get to the office. The problem would be getting home at the end of the day when the streets are cleared of the snow. 

25 minutes ago, Saguenay Bill said:

Met a fellow from Prinoth this evsning, he is going to a groomer demo at Waterville Valley, NH.  He told me 2 guys were stranded in their car near Montmagny during the storm and  they had died from carbon monoxide.

Absolutely true. 3 cars were stuck in height of Storm. Drove off road all three in same area. 911 got calls from people in the stranded cars, Patrol car unable to get there. They send cops on sleds and they cannot find the stuck cars. They give up. Early this morning with a front end loader I believe. They found the 3 cars. The Two drivers in the 2 other cars were ok. They other 2 men in the 3rd car were found dead. 

Also many folks stranded on the autoroute 13 overnight finally reached and taken off highway. Then received the bills for having their abandoned cars towed off the highway. 

Did not get all details on this. 

11 hours ago, iceman said:

Also many folks stranded on the autoroute 13 overnight finally reached and taken off highway. Then received the bills for having their abandoned cars towed off the highway. 

Condolences to the families with losses.  That sucks.  

On the otherhand, looks like the province found a way to benefit from this.  Sad.

11 hours ago, iceman said:

Absolutely true. 3 cars were stuck in height of Storm. Drove off road all three in same area. 911 got calls from people in the stranded cars, Patrol car unable to get there. They send cops on sleds and they cannot find the stuck cars. They give up. Early this morning with a front end loader I believe. They found the 3 cars. The Two drivers in the 2 other cars were ok. They other 2 men in the 3rd car were found dead. 

The hwy13 incedent should never of happened. I know that stretch well, it is in a populated area on the island of Montreal not some stretch of Hwy in the middle of nowhere. An accident occurred in the lanes going in one direction and traffic came to a stand still in the height of the storm. The lanes going in the opposite direction and only separated by a cement divider remained open and plowed. There is a big uproar as to who dropped the ball and just ignored approximately 300 cars and trucks stranded all night in a metropolitan highway. Quite a bit of coverage on the ctv Montreal news last night. The $218 towing bill that drivers received will now be covered by the Quebec government. I had to laugh at the Montreal mayor as he dodged questions politician style waving a cell phone in his hands saying we have to find out why these were not used in seeking help. He made no sense to me.