Iceman's Season Ender part deux

iceman

There's a stretch of the 83 that hasn't seen a groomer for a while ( from the 3 to where the Saguenay club turns around ... the 383 could be a better option or 383 to the local trail that cuts over to the 83 through the ZEC Anse 

Day 5 Tuesday 

we leave Escoumins at 9:30, looking at grooming report its gonna be right back up the 93 the way we came, forecast is for some snow tonight and I am not keen on driving the 175 in snow. So back to Chicoutimi and we will load and go for Shawinigan tonight. 

TQ3 is just as we left it yesterday. Nice but not great. Its like this all the way to Sacre Coeur. Very melty with mud near all roads and big puddles. Kwiknick hates the puddles don't like getting his sled dirty. I get it. 

At 93 trail is groomed just like it showed. Up to Coronet and gas and go. We reach the big 93 and we rocket off up toward mont valin. Maybe 15 miles up I get a radio call to hold up. This can't be good. Sure enough we got an issue with the MXZ. Track is coming apart on right side. Delaminating and missing a chunk. Well isn't that just peachy. We trim off all the bits and tell him take it easy. Figures the nicest groomed trail here and now we gonna limp it. So we do all the way up and to the top. Left turn Continuing on 93. Not groomed here but about 5 miles in i round corner and face to face with big groomer. Hello there. We pullover and let him pass. Four sleds right on his tail tearing it up. Such a waste. Surprised they were even grooming middle of the day as warm as it was. Thus makes the ride in better for us but much more painful as i have a hard time going slow. We limp it on at 40-50 mph. Tops and make it on beautiful carpet like you rarely see up here. Just my luck. Low Low traffic. Seen about 6 sleds all day so far. Groomed flat all the way past Passion QC. Just down the hill there by groomer garage we trim more track off its flapping. We tightened the track a bit too. We are gonna make it to the truck. Once offf mountain its another world. Rough and melty as hell. Puddles, mud and snirt in many places. Getting ugly down here. Worse as we get farther down. 93 to Sonic for gas after the Airport. Gas and onward we go we reach orange trail to Shipshaw. Its nice very flat. Down to where you ride road a bit to cross bridge there. Its 8-10 deep water on the bridge a lake. Well small ocean. At shipshaw same thing major deep water puddles crossing both bridges. Time to get out of here. Its going fast. Through town very different than day 1 when we left hotel. Ugly mess. Times up. Back to hotel at 3:15. Load up get changed and southbound at 4:15pm after a bite to eat. Home at Chez Ice at 8:15pm. 

Great Run all in all. 

Close to 1200 miles  Nick says 1187 miles.

Part 3 to RDL Thursday with Playhard, NHmoose and NHmark. 

Part Trois, are you kidding me and RDL to boot, haven't you had enough punishment so far. Snirt, mud, gravel and all the other goodies. I would highly suggest to start much more in the peninsula as there might not be much of anything left for you to come back too, warms up earlier in RDL than in the inner peninsula parts.

Good luck to ya, you're a true diehard Mr.Ice, say hi to the boys for me. Miss them dearly.

10 hours ago, Trailblazer said:

Part Trois, are you kidding me and RDL to boot, haven't you had enough punishment so far.

Ha! The time between now and next winter is very long. Gotta Get it now. So i can get through till next year. 

10 hours ago, Trailblazer said:

Good luck to ya, you're a true diehard Mr.Ice, say hi to the boys for me. Miss them dearly

Will surely do.

You going to Forestville? With Francois and RR crew?

10 minutes ago, JBlavl said:

Was thinking about heading to Alma this weekend for 3 days. Looks like it is suppose to stay cold from now through the weekend. You think it's good enough up that way to make a trip? 

Yes, still ok. Just normal late season conditions. Tough into Universal hotel all pavement. Out of town is still nice. 

Edited by iceman

2 hours ago, iceman said:

Yes, still ok. Just normal late season conditions. Tough into Universal hotel all pavement. Out of town is still nice. 

How much pavement are we talking? Looks like the trail gets fairly close to the hotel. Would the Delta be a better choice?

You can get right to Universal Hotel in Alma cross the two roads. Then all parking is Bare at hotel, do you know Hotel Universal? Or never been there? 

23 minutes ago, iceman said:

You can get right to Universal Hotel in Alma cross the two roads. Then all parking is Bare at hotel, do you know Hotel Universal? Or never been there? 

Oh ok so the parking lot is bare. I thought you meant there was bare pavement road riding to get there from the trail. I am tagging along with some friends that have planned this trip. I have never been to the Lac St-Jean area. I've rode St. Michele-Des-Saints area twice, and last year I did the Woodrunner loop starting in Maniwaki going to Parent, Val d'Or, and back. 

20 minutes ago, Trailblazer said:

Does a bear $hit in the woods.

RR got me doing some work on my sled.

Looking forward to hearing all about it. Get you some of that. If you get to see Benoit at Chenail Du Nord up from Forestville. tell him Iceman says hi. 

38 minutes ago, iceman said:

Its late season conditions. Surely they will probably groom for the weekend check the App. Get it while you can. 

Oh yes I already have the app. Figure that is going to come in handy. Usually I am the one planning trips but this time I am a late minute addition. Looking forward to checking out Saguenay area. Thanks for the help.