Joliette/St-Marc des Carrières trail#3 photo ride-report 18march2017

towing

Krikri health getting even better, we decided to repeat the last weekend experience but my lady asked for a longer ride than the last one. Given the beautiful conditions left by the last snow storm , I chose for her a ride path more souther that would look more like a big lazy-boy ride than a work-out in the twisties. So here's the easy mileage path we had done:

carte_zpsj5m4vkzd.jpg

Nice sunny day -16C at  start, our partner Steph joined us at the St-Thomas gaz station and we left on #43 trail east

DSC01689_zps1xo7bc14.jpg

We joined #3 trail and headed east towards Berthierville. Although the interactive map did not indicate it with the grooming delay option, the trails had been groomed after the last storm. Bug with the groomer's gps ???

DSC01692_zpsgbdc8idb.jpg

With the high winds it did not left big amounts of snow in the trails, just what it needed to have perfect conditions

DSC01702_zpspvuqwwj9.jpg

Those 2 have followed us all day!

DSC01703_zpsqugx8c3s.jpg

The temperature slowly warms up with the strong March sunshine 

DSC01706_zpsw97zfqdw.jpg

Here the section maintained by St-Barthelemy club, freshly groomed impeccable.

DSC01712_zpsijmvymjj.jpg

We saw the dozer that was moving but the grooming job had already been done long before because the trail was already very solid.

DSC01719_zps9swf9ehy.jpg

My yammy had purring on these beautiful fast trails

DSC01730_zpswakbfazn.jpg

At Louiseville height, Instead of riding the #3 trail which passes very south or the #63 passing farther north through Charette we took the #350 + a local trail that makes us sting through the other 2 options that is more direct with many fields and the biggest curves are those there:

DSC01736_zpsvho2rmfh.jpg

DSC01746_zpse3kym5zk.jpg

We joined Snowcruiser close to St-Barnabé. He had started from his area in Champlain by sled and we met within one mile from what we had estimated the day before on the phone when we had planned to get together!!! We then had continued the ride towards the east with our 2 partners

DSC01752_zpsbxquxqel.jpg

Here back on the #3 trail in Ste-Étienne des Grès direction

DSC01764_zpsli0tnyai.jpg

Here the #3 trail going to the Gabelle dam over the St-Maurice river. They had modify the trail path here last year, much better than before.

DSC01770_zps7iatgb6x.jpg

We crossed the dozer here on the #3 grooming this section that was needed it. Unfortunately the effect of grooming the new snow during day at soft temperature is limited ... it doesn't lasts long.

DSC01784_zps5ed7qso0.jpg

DSC01791_zps0uvntikx.jpg

We dropped the #3 to take #351 trail, passed the Relais de la Station and looped back on the #3 at St-Stanislas. Here on the river just before St-Stanislas

DSC01806_zpsmpow8hy1.jpg

Steph and his nice 850

DSC01812_zpsn6f4dvay.jpg

DSC01815_zpszipylbzb.jpg

We took back #3 trail, passed La Cabane a Roger(closed now) and took a local trail to reach the #351 east that ride along #40 car highway . Here crossing the Sainte-Anne big river on the #351. To my surprise, the dozer groom on it!

DSC01834_zps8jb2q4wx.jpg

We had continued on the #351 which become the #3 trail farther

DSC01840_zpspkxjkzau.jpg

Up to the junction with #302 that we took south to go eat at the Normandin restaurant along #40 Highway . We had a great meal and talk together

DSC01843_zpswjj3jsbs.jpg

After dinner we lined up our skis in the opposite direction ...

DSC01847_zpsbv0x5kly.jpg

But this time kept the #302 to take the #3 westward at the height of St-Casimir.

DSC01852_zpssog0xnb9.jpg

Last storm traces

DSC01861_zps9dvhil1s.jpg

Here on #3 trail on an old railroad bed

DSC01868_zpseli8pfuo.jpg

We met this one just before going crossing back the Cabane a Roger.

DSC01874_zpskgsplfjd.jpg

Here still on the #3 getting on the river in St-Stanislas

DSC01879_zpszcnwsvgi.jpg

DSC01882_zpstitfewfu.jpg

We took a break just before St-Narcisse at the junction of a local trail that lead back to Champlain. It was then time for Snowcruiser to take this last option to go home ...

DSC01891_zpswhcnlsmz.jpg

While Steph and us continued on the #3 westward

DSC01892_zpsxlpepgp0.jpg

The trails were a bit rough until the crossing of the St-Maurice river but really nice thereafter. Here the highway trail in the Ste-Ursules sector

DSC01931_zpsoqzbkqal.jpg

And here on the #3 in Maskinongé sector

DSC01936_zpssuvhkpjr.jpg

We crossed this Dozer in St-Barthélemy area

DSC01940_zpsv9txu47d.jpg

And with the daylight change we can enjoy our days longer, here the sunset around 6:45 pm

DSC01944_zpspk7aplkh.jpg

We followed #3 trail up to St-Cuthbert where we took a the local trail through St-Norbert

DSC01953_zpsvaujfy2x.jpg

We had loop back on the #43 near Joliette and finally returned home at 7:15 pm with a total of 263 easy miles on the dreammeter. 
Force to admit that the season is already well advanced, from here things can change more quickly but the forecast are pretty good to date, if the temperatures maintained as forecast we could perhaps being able to still ride the south of our area and i may be able to still start from home. Of course, all the norther area like St-Zénon are even better and not at risk yet. All report I had seen quoted perfect conditions this last weekend, so season still going on!
:bye bye:
Alain

We drove home 3/10 on highway 20 just across from your trip. We did not see any snow on the south side! TQ5 was grass. Driving over bridges we saw open water in the rivers.

Conditions look great in your photos. We hope you have a few more trips left this season.

I am going to file that lazy-boy ride for the future.

Thanks for the report.

Jim & Gemma

There's a big difference in snow between the two shores of the St-Lawrence river at our height, the difference diminish as you go toward Quebec city. At my height the Monteregie  area on the south shore is up and down for their snow, many times they just have few ridable weeks a season. The thaws always hit them harder, but sometimes they hit the jackpot like the last snow storm last week that left in the 40-50cms of snow one shot on them! unfortunately some kind of too much too late for them at this time of the season.

Krikri was still fresh on sunday after her saturday run and the temperatures and forecasts are ok so definitely few more rides ahead...

stay tuned

On 2017-03-22 at 3:54 PM, MXZ700RIDER said:

Awesome trail photos...as always! Glad to see you and Krikri are back to sledding in tandem. Great scenery you showcase in Quebec and great trail maintenance.

On 2017-03-22 at 4:26 PM, easyrider said:

I can't believe how good it still looks up there. Amazing.

Thank you guys! Finally the trails have hold pretty good this week and we will still be able to start from my backdoor tomorrow morning!!!