Team Iceman's Season Ender part 3

iceman

7 hours ago, Shore1066 said:

This is probly a stupid question but while watching the video, why does the rider's head never move with the sled. I've noticed this on other videos I don't 

understand it. 

The GoPro is attached to the helmet, so it looks "locked on" and stationary in the view relative to the helmet.

The helmet is stabilized by human tissue, I.e. me. That is......my body, arms, elbows, and neck all create a shock absorber relative to my head. If the rider is tensed up, maybe there will be more shakey?  But if the rider is relaxed, looses goosey, trail is smooth, head is stable.  Camera sees what I see, same stability as what I see.

IMG_0789.JPG

Those antique sleds reminded me of a post I made around December about riding antique snowmobiles around the Gaspe this winter. Of course, there were no takers. Looks like we know where to get the sleds for the ride, now if I could just find fellow riders to ride them!!!

mike

1 hour ago, mikerider said:

Those antique sleds reminded me of a post I made around December about riding antique snowmobiles around the Gaspe this winter. Of course, there were no takers. Looks like we know where to get the sleds for the ride, now if I could just find fellow riders to ride them!!!

mike

Brothers Jacques & Bernard are OBSESSED (Jacques says "passionate") about vintage. 

Beside the 100 downstairs in the museum, they have another 250 stored in a warehouse. 

Very cool, not normal, but very cool. 

5 hours ago, PLAYHARD said:

Brothers Jacques & Bernard are OBSESSED (Jacques says "passionate") about vintage. 

Beside the 100 downstairs in the museum, they have another 250 stored in a warehouse. 

Very cool, not normal, but very cool. 

Play hard, the snowmobile collection is in Carlton? Do you have to make arrangements to get into see them? That's awesome. Hope you can get your track resolved, we limped in on one last year for several hundred miles, just slows you down a bit! You guys don't want to do that I am sure! Happy trails!

RR

20 minutes ago, RoadRunner said:

Play hard, the snowmobile collection is in Carlton? Do you have to make arrangements to get into see them? That's awesome. Hope you can get your track resolved, we limped in on one last year for several hundred miles, just slows you down a bit! You guys don't want to do that I am sure! Happy trails!

RR

Roadrunner the Snowmobile Museum is in Murdochville at Motel Copper. See the owners brothers Jaque and Bernard. They have some incredible examples. 

Beside the 100 downstairs in the museum, they have another 250 stored in a warehouse

For the track just not sure as its on the right side and only one wheel on that side on rear axel. Not too confident in it. The Bombardier has different wheel set up on rear axel. 

Edited by iceman

33 minutes ago, RoadRunner said:

RR

Thanks RR! A Yammi dealer out here has the 144" Ripper & bearings/etc in stock! Calling his camion driver now. Looking promising to rejoin the train @ Caribu in Riv Renard tonight!

The museum is in the basement of the Copper, totally casual entry, they just need to flip on the lights. 

Can't say enough good about these guys, offered their truck, or a loan of Jacque's personal sled to keep us rolling:

IMG_20170327_081540.thumb.jpg.165bd7fe46dc2ac5e1964f81f15994b1.jpg

1 hour ago, PLAYHARD said:

Thanks RR! A Yammi dealer out here has the 144" Ripper & bearings/etc in stock! Calling his camion driver now. Looking promising to rejoin the train @ Caribu in Riv Renard tonight!

The museum is in the basement of the Copper, totally casual entry, they just need to flip on the lights. 

Can't say enough good about these guys, offered their truck, or a loan of Jacque's personal sled to keep us rolling:

IMG_20170327_081540.thumb.jpg.165bd7fe46dc2ac5e1964f81f15994b1.jpg

Playhard and Ice , Thats great news on the track, it certainly is a lot better knowing you got all the rubber working for you on the snow! Good luck and onto Fox River to catch up with Ice. I stayed at Hotel Copper several years ago now, Wow didnt know the museum was there, Nice!

Edited by RoadRunner

You wouldn't have gotten too far on that track anyways, you made the right choice. I've had that happen to me on 2 occasions and both times I rode it out as far as it could go as I was far from the truck. I tell you what's going to happen should you have continued on, the track will continue to rip in small pieces and flap on your tunnel, then you stop cut it off and repeat until you've gone all around and voila you've gone from 15"s to 13 or so. In my case it was on the side where the third wheel on the rear axle was not and the track was falling off like a chain on a bicycle. We had to remove the rear axle and relocate the third wheel to the other side in order to continue on. This started in Chicoutimi and ended in Baie St.Paul, had to call a flatbed to get me to St.Raymond, so that's the outcome of a ripped track. Lesson learned stop right away and change it, smart move David.

Every summer I say I'm going to learn to speak Québecoise.

So... I figured when Steve @ 4 Saisons Yammi in Gaspe asked about my slides he was being thorough.

We did discuss "ICE RIPPER 144" TRACK" and "JACKSHAFT & DRIVE SHAFT BEARINGS" and I did hear the words "IN STOCK".

Oh well. I'll yield to Iceman's narrative for the day when he gets to it later.

In the meantime, while he's wheeling us both in the U-Haul (spanking her like the rented mule she is), here's today's eye-candy:

IMG_20170327_093809.thumb.jpg.e1812401663302be335d5b62db0358a0.jpg

IMG_20170327_122808.thumb.jpg.0313529ce8f88174facfe957911adaa1.jpg

IMG_20170327_122744.thumb.jpg.4f6cf8a74d9bc9f68ae99555fe347399.jpg

Under semi-protest, Blue no like box trucks where there's perfectly rideable trails right outside. 

IMG_20170327_122755.thumb.jpg.2bbb881e6dac0c5c5b94be0873404eea.jpg

No Ripper for Black in stock, not "feeling it" on field service of Blue's secondary slider puck. So, out of the short haul and into the long (RDL) haul. Anybody around Tuesday for breakfast @ Universel?!

IMG_20170327_123801.thumb.jpg.782d7319b01e942485831560ef045ef1.jpg

Still beauteous by black trail:

IMG_20170327_151257.thumb.jpg.5f995ebc6b0b24b5a300724ceaabef57.jpg

Can't roll by MSP without stopping to say hey to the legendary Pierre Colombe!

IMG_20170327_161821.thumb.jpg.d08a67f856bc42f018b6354206d7fc66.jpgIMG_20170327_161640.thumb.jpg.f579bd7a19e2a9cf34e322b336c6f663.jpg

These guacs are gone by the way. "Pour Une Duree Limitee" is OVER. Damn. Just remnants here n there...

IMG_20170327_175908.thumb.jpg.366bd66e261f0bbc8095b11d4b23bc22.jpg

2 hours ago, Trailblazer said:

You wouldn't have gotten too far on that track anyway...

True dat Blaz'ER!

The NH McGuyvers (bless their souls) amputated the first gator and discussed playing Rubic's wheels. Then I went about 10-15 miles into the Copper and integrity degraded beaucoup.

No need to risk serious carnage to an otherwise perfect (20k mi) machine. And no need to mess with Murphy and imminent deep woods extrication. 

I have WORLDS of respect for you expedition riders! But my tool bag's all about duct tape, zip ties & snacks!

8:30 & RDL coming into view! Say bon nuit to the Apex's. Say salud to the Vectors!...

IMG_20170327_202636.thumb.jpg.27618d19cc18f26f05e74abe79ace62d.jpg

Can't seem toupload video to YT onYtube from Caribou wifi, outbound speed is  s l o w.Some stills from today.. 

Anyone want to play bridge?IMG_0554.thumb.JPG.c3056e97a7f2c6875c9aeb4f72697327.JPG

Iceman wants to playIMG_0556.thumb.JPG.3d513fbc8b7de5b6f9dd7ce9a91ef7a1.JPG

As if you haven't seen a pic of the rock....IMG_0562.thumb.JPG.0e8e403efec556b818ad4a788d0794d3.JPG

Mark made it to the rock on his maiden Gaspe tripIMG_0568.thumb.JPG.3d49b0d5f2a767af93786c0645bd1385.JPGIMG_0564.thumb.JPG.eed39221684ed0e745d655ce485d0018.JPG

John (NH Moose) obligatory rock photoIMG_0565.thumb.JPG.3a20bf2ac7c505e7cc4763525ff06e96.JPG

From the lower lookout pull off up Chemin Mt Ste AnneIMG_0570.thumb.JPG.746f227ede8b479b41a43f3235532cf1.JPG

Further up Chemin Mt Ste Anne, new lookout looks like a diving boardIMG_0571.thumb.JPG.c6143f45bb4d8f6419ea8635e1ca01e7.JPG

Trails terrible into Perce, whooped, not recommended.  Some sections of 5 out this way are amazing, but mot is pretty lumpy, feel right at home....just like the New Hampshire trails I remember ;<)

Edited by NH-Moose

1 hour ago, smclelan said:

Crossed that bridge in January I believe. Not far from the town of Gaspe, you come off the end then turn 90° on to the Orange trail leading to the 597.  

That's the one sir.

Day 5 Monday

We have our breakfast and then at 8am Playhard is starting to make his calls to try to round up a track and etc. to get fixed up. He calls to Gaspe and things seem to be going great. I hear him answering this guy with yes my slides are dupont and they are OK. Thought it a strange question but i was letting him do his thing as he was getting on fine and did not seem to need me to talk to the guy. Jacques from Copper had offered up his pickup truck for a sled swap this was plan B if we found no dealer to replace the track. Playhard would take Jacques truck go to RDL drop Apex and get a spare bullet (vector) and rejoin us in Rivere a Renard at Caribou. Jacques is a super guy and was willing to do anything we needed to help us. So Playhard now is set guy from Yamaha in Gaspe says he has all the pieces to replace track. Great. So we suit up as Yamaha is sending their truck for Playhard. We leave out of Copper bidding farewell to Jacques and David for now. I got to admit I'm gun shy now as Playhard's track had 
20k miles on it. Pretty impressive huh? Well I'm nervous as a cat in a room full of rocking chairs as my Iceripper has close to 24k miles on it so I am on borrowed time. This I know. 
Out of Murdochville 597 south. Big rollers to get out of town. Get going from town it gets better but not up to my specs for sure. Definately a big disappointment. The NH boys are like what do you mean it's not bad at all. Hmmmm. I am spoiled i know it. Not far from the Orange Local off 597 to Gaspe we stop. We are taking a break and looking over my track. It's surprisingly not looking like it has almost 24k miles on it but we find one small tear near a window on one side. No big deal just need to watch it. I look on my left floor board near my footwell and I see a small black plastic piece. Huh? What is this? Well Mark and John knew right away it was a "button" from my clutch. One of three apparently. I ride them (sleds) not build em or fix them. I know stuff don't get me wrong but I learn things every day. What are the odds of this tiny piece getting flung out and making it onto my floorboard for me to find? We look at clutch yup 1 missing still got two others. Well so it shall be. Decision is made we ride to Gadpe to join playhard at Yamaha. If i loose another "button" it could be a problem, the guys say. Sled runs fine, of course i did not ride it like I normally would, but felt like normal. 

Onto orange local and it's much better than 597. No problems down and to TQ 5, we get to turn off for the Yamaha and it's not gonna be easy. For me anyway. Plowed road to get there. Screw it. I see the place I am getting there. NH boys put the landing gear down and roll on behind me. We cruise in. 

I go in front door and David is on phone with our Guru Pierre from our Dealer he is acting as a translator as there has been a serious breakdown in communication. They got no track. They got not much here. Now I am not bashing here so please don't take it that way. However before I grew up I used to ride Polaris and let's just say I know where pretty much every Polaris Dealer is throughout QC. I been to way too many. I was not picky as long as they could get me back going, hey do it up. Now a days is a whole different story. it's not just me as Playhard is very similar. I am very picky about who can put their hands on my lady. My misstress is not to be fooled with by just anyone. This shop here may have had the best intentions but no no no. 
We finished with Pierre on the phone as now with me there I was able to take over and talk to these guys. No track they want to order it, be here tmmrw at noon, no bueno. Just not feeling it here. They aint touching my sled. David looks at me I am already 2 steps ahead. He says we need to get out of here like now. I ask where is the U-haul rental. David finds it on his phone. I call. I french it up and get the ball rolling. The dealer here agrees since transport was already paid to put both our sleds in their trailer and drop us at U-haul. Get to U-haul is really no good snowbank to use to load sleds. Driver from dealer says he will wait so we can use ramp from his trailer to load rental truck. Takes a while but we finally get it worked out as they tell us u-haul has no dealer in RDL to drop truck. Ok where is closest to RDL? Guys says let me check.....

He says ok all set you can drop it in St Simeon or Clermont only 23 miles to either one. Huh? I said can i look at what you got on that computer. Nice guy but not sure he has ever left Gaspe town. I look and just as David said and we both knew. St Simeon and Clermont are 23 miles from RDL. As the Crow Flies or swims over the river to the other side. Again no Bueno. Finally we find La Pocatiere, fine as rental is for 3 days same price as one day. So we drop rental on way by headed back to Trois Riveres on Thursday morning. Sleds loaded and now we leave there about 1:30 not exactly sure. Stop for lunch and get out of Gaspe about 2pm. Blacktrail. 

Had to stop to visit Pierre at Mt st Pierre. We could spend hours talking with him we are there well over 30 minutes. Back in the truck and hammer down. Gas stop in St Anne des Monts and now this truck and I are aquatinted so i push it. Into Universel at 8:30pm. Tomorrow we will play locally on the spare bullets (vectors) the Apex's are very happy to be back here they know where they are going and who will tickle them in all the right places. 

We could have pushed our luck. David's track was certainly not gonna go much further. Kind of silly to try to run the whole north shore back to RDL with it. Just not smart. My sled same thing it was running fine when put in truck. I chose to go with David rather than chance it and put the other guys in a position of having to tow one or both of us through the mountains on the North Shore. 

Been an outstanding season, not a record KM wise for me but damn close. Lots of KM ridden fir sure. 

Gonna be a welcome change to day trip for these last two days out of RDL.