GPS DEVICES

Snappy Hank

Thinking about purchasing a GPS for next season. Which GARMIN product accepts TRAK-MAPS and has the largest screen that will mount on a YAMAHA VIPER. I ride mostly in Quebec.  Any input will be appreciated.

Snappy Hank

Garmin Zumo 590 and Garmin 276Cx both have a 5" screen. The 276Cx isn't a touch screen but uses the same mount as the Montana 610, Zumo has it's own mount.

I bought the Montana (used via this forum) and it has gpstrailmasters.com trail maps. The Montana has a 4" screen and I mounted to the handlebars via a RAM mount. The RAM mounts are excellent!. I haven't felt like I needed a larger screen, probably because I have it closer to me than mounted atop of the gauge cluster.

A 5" Nuvi with a AquaBox and a RAM mount is an option as well.

I don't know anything about Track-Maps, but I've been happy with gpstrailmasters.com.

Hope that helps.

P3180901.JPG

Edited by SnowCrazed

It looks like they upgraded that to a 2797. I like the large screen. Does it have snow trail maps, or do you download them from track-maps?

Hank

Loaded the QC Trails, changed the icon to a snowmobile, and it routed to hotel on the trail!

I've been working on hardwiring the system to sled. There is an eso brand converter with a straight mini USB it works but if it gets cold 20f or colder it fails to charge the battery causing the screen to dim.

I found and ordered this system, it looks like it doubles the amps to charge things better and has some nice connectors and caps.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141627067352?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

connector

http://www.ebay.com/itm/122199768043?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

and

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121366683696?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Later

GutZ

Generally versions for cars are not vibration or weather resistant. though they will work.  They also generally have USB and not a powered cradle which is of itself is another pain.  None come with anything resembling snowmobile trail maps, you will have to install that yourself.  

Thank you Mr Gutz and Markusvt. That is all good info. I think you are correct about hardwiring it in,  12 volt cig. lighters tend to loosen up and lose contact for charging.

Hank

On 3/26/2017 at 8:24 PM, Snappy Hank said:

Thinking about purchasing a GPS for next season. Which GARMIN product accepts TRAK-MAPS and has the largest screen that will mount on a YAMAHA VIPER. I ride mostly in Quebec.  Any input will be appreciated.

Snappy Hank

http://ty4stroke.com/threads/7-inch-bigscreen-gps-garmin-2757-on-sidewinder-crash-pad.147501/

You can get routable Quebec trail maps for free or as you can read in the referenced thread buy the mSD chip from TrakMaps and just plug it in.  I use a Montana 600 City Nav maps and the free Tilou et Biscout maps on mine.

33760336936_8a84caac04_k.jpgIMG_0096 (1) 

I run a Garmin 660LM , it's a motorcycle/weather proof unit with a decent sized 4.3" screen and simple to operate . Cradle mounted so no cable n plug that will typically fail in cold weather on car type gps units .  Package from gps city comes with mounting options  . I helped a friend install this one on his Viper and Sidewinder also . 

20170402_221926.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

2797 for me. $200.00 all over the internet. Add an extended warranty and don't worry about the weather.

Biggest screen period. I can't focus on the small ones anymore. Why pay double or more for half the size?

2 full seasons now without any trouble. As of now this unit doesn't owe me anything.

Add Tilou Biscut for free and route yourself all over Quebec.

A powered cradle is available from RAM, you will not have to mess with any cables once installed. Yes there is a USB connector on that but since you never have to undo it a little  RTV will hold it permanently and weatherproof it. 

A little electrical tape over openings like the speaker, SD card slot, etc adds more weather resistance. Some people put a little RTV around the edges of the screen, that can be a weak spot. I think I will do that when the warranty runs out.

I bring a ziplock bag for wet days, the touchscreen still works good through the bag.

These units are a little more challenging to mount simply because of their size.

At the end of the ride, I peel the tape off the speaker and it goes into the truck and routs me home.

I never thought I would like a Nuvi on a sled, but for me being able to see the screen trumps a track log. I do miss my track log. For the first year I let the 60csx run right along side with the nuvi just for the log but lately the beloved 60 stays in the bag. 

The picture shows both units at the same resolution, centered on the exact same point.  Look how much more map you get. 

8F143AF6-7B3B-44E2-874A-5C3BE3E0EE1E.JPG

Edited by easyrider
forgot to add text