Gas and Luggage Combo Options for Ski Doo LINQ System

Fuse6

Think I'm going to pulled the trigger and Sno-Chek a new 850 Renegade X

Presently riding a Yamaha Viper so will need new luggage and gas options etc. Never dreamed I would go back to a 2 stroke but doing a lot of research and keep hearing about the FUN factor about the 850. Lots of times from long time 1200 riders.

This year on our Gaspe trip there was 8 of us. 4 4 strokes and 4 2 strokes. We started the first day with the 2 strokers at the back of the line. that worked for the first hour😀. It's seems you put a bunch of males in nature the Alpha Male issue comes out. So we spent the week with a few of us switching off riding point. By the end of the day we all stunk.

See lots of pictures on QR with different combinations of bags and gas cans. What are you running, or if you were starting out new what setup do you suggest.

Assume need to carry some extra gas and would be nice to accomandate 4 litres of oil. Wonder why some genius at BRP hasn't had the fuel can suppliers develop a gas/oil combo can from that 14L base stackable fuel caddy. 1/3 oil 2/3 gas would be perfect. With the mileage of these new sleds gas isn't often a huge issue. 2 gallons of spare fuel would be lots for comfort level for the majority of riding in Quebec.

For you guys that rode the the 850 this year what windshield do you see being the most practical for this coming year. The new adjustable windshield looks interesting but will be pricey by the time you get everything need to make it work.

These sled companies sure have mastered selling us an expensive engine and chasis then you have to spend another zillion dollars to buy her a prom dress and matching shoes and purse to make her respectable enough to take out in public.😄😄

Pictures of what your using and the pros and cons would be great.

Thanks Steve

My son and I have been riding Ski doo sleds for years. Our last sleds we bought and installed the Linq medium bag and a fuel caddy. For our clothes we use saddle bags by Gears. One of the fuel caddies because of the miles we travel we use for oil and like you said gas mileage of the new sleds a couple gallons is a lot. The saddle bags are held on with two clips and the Linq bag one and the  fuel caddy one.  Keep the oil inside at night and it pours easy. Of course there is two of us using the oil. I've seen quarts of oil break in glove boxes. It's terrible. For windshields they come with the small size. We went through that smaller windshield 3 years ago in Gaspe. 20 below every day. It was bad. We bought the medium size the next year and was very happy with them. I have already bought the 17" windshields for our new 850's. Everyone I have spoken to says the 850 is more than the 800 and I loved my 800. Never had one problem. Only opened the side panel to put oil in. I expect to get 150 miles a tank and have more gas in the tank. At least our 800's were good for that. Hope this helps.

Fuse I was sitting here tonight thinking the same thing, can I go back to a 2 stroke? After chasing BJ around all year it sure would be fun to be on equal machinery. This is my set up and BJs he uses a 4 gallon for gas with a 2.75 gal. For oil, I think that what it is, on top and has a bag that fits between gas/oil can for clothes, etc. plus the "picnic basket" on the rear.

I am going to plumb my 4 gallon can into the fuel system for next winter so it empties first getting that weight off the rear end..

IMG_4316.JPG

IMG_3238.JPG

Edited by Phil 1

4 minutes ago, Phil 1 said:

f

Fuse I was sitting here tonight thinking the same thing, can I go back to a 2 stroke? After chasing BJ around all year it sure would be fun to be on equal machinery. This is my set up and BJs he uses a 4 gallon for gas with a 2.75 gal. For oil, I think that what it is, on top and has a bag that fits between gas/oil can for clothes, etc. plus the "picnic basket on the rear  

I am going to plumb my 4 gallon can into the fuel system for next winter so it empties first getting that weight off the rear end..

IMG_4316.JPG

IMG_3238.JPG

Make sure the plumber orders enough parts for two!

the stacked cans worked great (4300 miles) although I realize it's not recommended by doo.

3 hours ago, Fuse6 said:

Presently riding a Yamaha Viper so will need new luggage and gas options etc. Never dreamed I would go back to a 2 stroke but doing a lot of research and keep hearing about the FUN factor about the 850. Lots of times from long time 1200 riders.

This year on our Gaspe trip there was 8 of us. 4 4 strokes and 4 2 strokes. We started the first day with the 2 strokers at the back of the line. that worked for the first hour😀. It's seems you put a bunch of males in nature the Alpha Male issue comes out. So we spent the week with a few of us switching off riding point. By the end of the day we all stunk.

See lots of pictures on QR with different combinations of bags and gas cans. What are you running, or if you were starting out new what setup do you suggest.

Assume need to carry some extra gas and would be nice to accomandate 4 litres of oil. Wonder why some genius at BRP hasn't had the fuel can suppliers develop a gas/oil combo can from that 14L base stackable fuel caddy. 1/3 oil 2/3 gas would be perfect. With the mileage of these new sleds gas isn't often a huge issue. 2 gallons of spare fuel would be lots for comfort level for the majority of riding in Quebec.

For you guys that rode the the 850 this year what windshield do you see being the most practical for this coming year. The new adjustable windshield looks interesting but will be pricey by the time you get everything need to make it work.

These sled companies sure have mastered selling us an expensive engine and chasis then you have to spend another zillion dollars to buy her a prom dress and matching shoes and purse to make her respectable enough to take out in public.😄😄

Thanks Steve

Most here know I'm a Yammi guy but my comments apply strictly to the 4 stroke vs. 2 stroke and not the brand decision. When saddlebagging why would anyone want to have to carry oil? It's a given that the BRP  Linq system is slick and definitely makes carrying fuel containers simple but to feed a 2 stroke you'll sacrifice some fuel capacity b/c you also have to carry oil. If the total gals/liters you carry isn't important this may not be a consideration.

Point two is reliability. Yes there are many members here who some miles on their 2 strokes but they will never last as long as a comparably maintained 4 stroke due to design. (For those that will dispute this we aren't seeing 30k miles/45k km on 2 strokes without rebuilds but it is fairly easy to find 4 strokes with that mileage - or more) I say this mainly because the variable that is fuel quality will always have a more detrimental affect on a 2 stroke motor over time. Manufacturers have tried to minimize this by requiring premium fuel for all the 2 strokes. The damage is silent and cumulative so you usually won't know about it until you have an odd noise - or a total failure.

So if you rack up big miles saddle-bagging and reliability is important, it's an easy decision.  ***If you're someone who trades up every year or three, this may not be a consideration. You don't get to the point where things fail. 

Edited by vt_bluyamaha54

vt---"So if you rack up big miles saddle-bagging and reliability is important, it's an easy decision.  ***If you're someone who trades up every year or three, this may not be a consideration. You don't get to the point where things fail."

If I could get 10,000 miles without a rebuild, figure every 2 years did 4,475 this year, I would be burning oil again. The problem came in when one wise guy in the group buys an 850 and expects you to keep up on a diesel!!! For now I am going to continue on my Diesel and watch to see what happens to the 850's as we always say tick, tick, tick...

There is a company called "POWDERKEG".com that sells a combination gas can and storage bag that mounts to any 137" track. Made of hard plastic and mounts very securely to tunnel. You can see it on the website, cost is around $415. Well worth a look.

Snappy Hank

I believe the engineers who design the new two stokes would disagree with anyone comparing the two engines. I believe everyone has his or her own preference and if you are happy that's the way you should go with. I do know some people do not have good luck with a 2 stroke engines, Perfect example is my oldest son doesn't have any luck with a 2 stroke and my youngest will only own a 2 stroke.. Especially when his dad says go ahead and buy a 4 stroke but I'm buying a 850, LOL Number two son is very mechanical and number one doesn't ever get his hands dirty. I do know they ride very different. Of course the younger one has worked on worn out sleds in his teens so he and his friends could just get in a little night riding but knowing they may have to do the same thing over again the next day. 

As for the new engines they are lubricated where the parts need it and cooled in the places most important. The 850 engine has the bottom of the crank case cooled. Must be a need to cool that area. As for the 4 strokes they are like the old 583 and 600 ski doo motors, bullet proof. I like to think about how lucky we are to have 2 and 4 strokes that you can ride for thousands of miles and know you are going to get back to the truck, My opinions only.

1 hour ago, im4snow said:

Always thought it would be convenient to plumb in the running board tanks like they use on the Irondog race sleds (done aftermarket).  If it were turnkey and fairly inexpensive it seems like a good way to go.  

20131125143819.jpg

2016-Iron-Dog-Team-8-Finish.jpg

Very easy to do,I'll post after I'm done. 

On March 30, 2017 at 10:26 PM, Phil 1 said:

Very easy to do,I'll post after I'm done. 

Thanks Phil for posting the pictures of your set up for gas and bags.

Really like your idea of plumping in the gas caddy to use first. Makes so much sense for so many reasons.

Have a great summer on your bike. Getting our Spyders out today for first quick ride. Planning on doing a tour to PEI and Nova Scotia in late August.

Steve

Are there some trails I don't know about? Where are you going that you need plumbed in auxiliary tanks? For QC trail riding this is hardly necessary. If you are doing an expedition to Labrador or Baie James, then ok i get it. 

I'm not saying not to carry extra fuel. But to plumb it in? Hey whatever works I guess. 

On 3/28/2017 at 7:12 PM, Fuse6 said:

Thanks Steve

1/3 oil, 2/3 gas would be a big seller.

2 hours ago, iceman said:

Are there some trails I don't know about? Where are you going that you need plumbed in auxiliary tanks? For QC trail riding this is hardly necessary. If you are doing an expedition to Labrador or Baie James, then ok i get it. 

I'm not saying not to carry extra fuel. But to plumb it in? Hey whatever works I guess. 

I am reading this and wondering the same thing.  Sleds today can get 120-140 miles per tank or more, why do you need more?  I have sledded across a lot of quebec and never run out.  I cant think of many places it is further then that between gas stops. It certainly looks cool but unless you are going into a really remote area would it not be better to carry an extra set of clothes?

3 hours ago, iceman said:

The thinking is to get the 24 lbs of fuel off the tunnel and into the tank  A S A P I always use to use tour buddy before they stopped making them. You could leave Sennetaire to Chibougmau and not have a care in the world fuel wise. My 1200 is looking for fuel at 140 miles this just extends that range and moves weight off the tunnel. 

This is such a great topic. I agree the new sleds all get great mileage and is extra gas really needed but if carrying extra gas makes you feel better then I think that person should do this. One other thought is the great stories about traveling the north shore trail number 3. I know it has given me a interest. Now saying that I don't believe if the opportunity to ride that trail came up that I would take it mainly because of my age and getting stuck in 10 foot drifts and possibly sleeping in said snow bank.  I think a lot of people on this web site have riden all or most of the trails in Quebec and the last one is the north shore ride.  Are we by installing the extra tanks just preparing for that ride or a cross country ride or at least if the opportunity came up we would be ready. I have to admit it would be a adventure.  I do have some youngsters who i would feel comfortable trying any trip with. Anyway these are my thoughts and hopefully I didn't offend anyone.  Have a great summer everyone.  

13 hours ago, Phil 1 said:

The thinking is to get the 24 lbs of fuel off the tunnel and into the tank  A S A P I always use to use tour buddy before they stopped making them. You could leave Sennetaire to Chibougmau and not have a care in the world fuel wise. My 1200 is looking for fuel at 140 miles this just extends that range and moves weight off the tunnel. 

Just in case; when you plumb into your auxiliary tank the vacuum/syphon that is created by the vent empties the auxiliary tank first, thus removing unwanted weight from the tunnel. To that end at a BRP show a SKI DOO representative said careful how much weight you put on the tunnel, "they bend"...

4 minutes ago, Phil 1 said:

To that end at a BRP show a SKI DOO representative said careful how much weight you put on the tunnel, "they bend"...

That don't surprise me one bit, us Yamaha guys (real Yamaha not Yamacat) don't have them issues. 

Whatever you need to do it's all good. 

I can't imagine that BRP would accept the Linq system fuel caddy and the storage bags if there could be a problem with the tunnels bending. 

3 hours ago, iceman said:

That don't surprise me one bit, us Yamaha guys (real Yamaha not Yamacat) don't have them issues. 

Whatever you need to do it's all good. 

That's right, there's a full bar at the bottom of this bag! :-)

Screenshot_2017-04-03-12-28-10-1.png

Edited by dooright
Oops

Personally I am not a fan of the LinQ Gas Can and luggage, this year I ran the following setup and it worked out great! WhiteOut Tech Rack, 2 Rotopaks mounted to the rack, and a Mountainsmith waterproof duffel (ROK straps are amazing to hold the duffel in place)!  The LinQ mounts hold the rack on, so I can take everything off the sled with the 4 LinQ releases.  I ran one rotopak for gas and one for oil!! 

IMG_6835.JPG

IMG_7072.JPG

7 hours ago, snowpromod said:

Personally I am not a fan of the LinQ Gas Can and luggage, this year I ran the following setup and it worked out great! WhiteOut Tech Rack, 2 Rotopaks mounted to the rack, and a Mountainsmith waterproof duffel (ROK straps are amazing to hold the duffel in place)!  The LinQ mounts hold the rack on, so I can take everything off the sled with the 4 LinQ releases.  I ran one rotopak for gas and one for oil!! 

IMG_6835.JPG

IMG_7072.JPG

How many gallons per can?

Great topic.  I spring checked an 850.  My 2012 1200 has 17,600 miles on it now.  It was to the point where I didn't trust it and I'm crazy about the maintence on the sled.  Would probably be ok but I don't want to be the  guy holding up my friends because I brought a high mileage sled.  And my 1200 has the original stator.  To me, no point in taking out the engine to replace a perfectly working part, but they can go anytime.  I've heard many good things about the 850.  And, we used to take 2 trips to Quebec a year.  Now we take 1 which will keep the miles down.

As far as the oil, I think most places sell Doo 2-stroke oil.  My plan will be to carry a quart and if I'm at a gas station that has doo oil I'll get it and top the oil tank.  I think they have a pretty good range on 1 oil tank.  I did that with my 2000 SXR and never even used my spare quart.  Of course I put any oil in that!

We had a sled run out of gas on our last trip.  Trail 63 I believe.  Left lac Troute to take 386 to Kitcisakik.  Could have gotten gas at La Verendrye but that would have added at least another hour.  The Sidewinder ran out about 10 miles from Kitcisakik.  The 3 1200's were fine, the light wasn't even on on mine and the Pro X was fine.  Of course, the SW has the smallest tank and the Polaris has the biggest.  I carry a gas caddy only on Quebec trips so it was no biggie.

For the windshield, I will go with the high I think.  The X I ordered comes with the medium. Will also get the side things that the mirrors mount too.  I believe with the high windshield the handguards will still work. Hopefully that will give enough wind protection.  I've ridden in -40f up there.  Brrrr!!!   Not sure what I will do for the gas caddy.  I have the old style ski doo one and not sure I can make it fit on the new chassis.  I also have the old style saddlebags that went across the seat.  Will try to see if I can reuse them.  I hate having to buy new things when the old ones I have work perfectly well!  Although I really like the linq system.

As far as the cost of premium fuel and oil for 2-strokes, the sled I'm getting cost $14,000 out the door.  The higher priced fuel and oil does not matter in the grand scheme of things to me.

Keep the ideas coming!

Edited by Sled Dog