Gas and Luggage Combo Options for Ski Doo LINQ System

Fuse6

As far as not needing to carry, or plumbing in the extra fuel.....ever make a wrong turn? ever miss the gas station? ever have to tow a broken sled out of the bush? add in all the above with fresh powder on the trail and -40 conditions......Ill carry the fuel, and plum it in so the weight is gone from the back of the sled as soon as possible.....regardless of brand.

Ok I miss spoke on the windshields. Our 800 renegades came with the shorter wind shields so we replaced with the 17" medium size. They worked great along with the handle bar muffs. Back to the windshields. Well soon after purchasing new wind shields for our 850 sleds coming this fall I find that the new 850 comes with the medium 17" windshield. They came with the deflecters so maybe we can use them. When I put the new windshields away I found a couple sets of deflectors for the 2015 renegades 17" windshields in the trailer. Must of an oversite not knowing what came in the packages. I don't know. If anyone is in need I will put the product number on and if you can use them I'll send them to. If anyone needs a 17" windshield for the Gen 4 platform let me know I got two of them too. I would keep the deflectors. I was told you sit a little higher on the 850 so maybe the stock windshield won't be high enough. Time will tell.

As some have said, regardless of riding a low-capacity & high-burning (& heavy) Apex, sometimes the gas light comes on sooner due to unplanned: fresh snow depth, towing, closed gas station, wrong turn or detour, or simply Murphy messing with your excellent plans.

So the 1gal Rotopax adds some confidence. And the 1.5gal on the Vector buddy-machines come in handy cuz the triples have way better range so they wind up being "donors". And these are way easy to use. 

But I DEFINITELY miss the 3gal Tour Buddies on the V-Max platform, under-hood & plumbed-in!

Whenever I see those sexy low windshields I think of calling the cops cuz maybe someone stole the real shield?

IMG_20170324_120949.thumb.jpg.2423e01bc8023e18c0a4f5e3279d2c5b.jpg

The mid-height shields are night n day different (less effective) than the high-boys on cold runs. And going from high to mid it's like SHUT THE FRONT DOOR IT'S COLD OVER HERE!IMG_2017032_edit_edit_edit.thumb.jpg.ea0389e23c43496b27f62dba8b8654a0.jpg

Gotta love this kinda independence, though it could cut down on bar & snacks capacity!...

IMG_20170324_091139.thumb.jpg.ce9f385ece5c57b3feb33a6b0d034752.jpgIMG_20170324_091106.thumb.jpg.a9056735ec80cde48c26f1182519a633.jpg

Well lately I've had to add some fuel storage for some offtrail riding, I was perfectly fine with the 12 litres on the tail and a 120-140 mile range with my 1200 36 litre tank, that's right 36 litres, the specs will tell ya it's 38 but I do this for every sled I own, I want to know exactly how much fuel goes in the tank after a stall. So I run the tank down 'till the sled stalls then drag her in to the pumps and calculate. Voila that's exactly how much gas you have to burn, key word BURN. Never mind what's left in the tank, if ya can't suck it up it, it's useless. 

Getting back to my offtrail needs, I was told I needed a minimum of 20 litres for the ride, so with out having to instal more fuel weight on the tail risking bending the tunnel I decided to reinstall my 6 litre Rotopax cans (from my Apex) on the sides of the tunnel before the rear mounting idler wheel bracket for the top of the track thus relieving the rear of the tunnel of the weight.

Also, having a plumbed in spare fuel can would be IMO a very selfish need, would make sense if everyone in the group is doing the same but if you're in a group with sleds that are not all plumbed and all have different fuel ranges, as a team player it would be smart to burn the tanks down to the bottom before needing/using the spare fuel, that way in a group/team meeting it can be decided who needs more and who needs less to make it to the next refilling station all together at best or at the very least one gets there and returns with the fuel. A very smart man told me once that it's easier to get the gas out of the spare can than out of the tank. 

IMG_4934.thumb.JPG.9fd5bf139c8bc8a6198f1fe346b0de1a.JPG

Here we are with 12 litres on the tail and 2 x 6 litres on the sides, 24 litres on board. Now I said my tank range is between 120-140 miles so average it out to 130 miles which equates to 208 Klms. Now if ya do the math it equals out to 5.77 klms/litre x 60 litres gives the sleds range to 342 Klms or 214 miles. Absolutely more than you need to ride in Quebec trails but as I mentioned earlier adding the Rotopax cans was for an offtrail adventure, the 12 litre is plenty to get you out of trouble.

There is also available the stackable Linq gas cans at 14 litres capacity. This combination interests me for next season, 14 litre stackable gas can with luggage on top and additional luggage on the rear, of course this would only work on a Renegade chassis.

Hope this helps and good luck with what you decide on.

9 hours ago, Trailblazer said:

Well lately I've had to add some fuel storage for some offtrail riding, I was perfectly fine with the 12 litres on the tail and a 120-140 mile range with my 1200 36 litre tank, that's right 36 litres, the specs will tell ya it's 38 but I do this for every sled I own, I want to know exactly how much fuel goes in the tank after a stall. So I run the tank down 'till the sled stalls then drag her in to the pumps and calculate. Voila that's exactly how much gas you have to burn, key word BURN. Never mind what's left in the tank, if ya can't suck it up it, it's useless. 

Getting back to my offtrail needs, I was told I needed a minimum of 20 litres for the ride, so with out having to instal more fuel weight on the tail risking bending the tunnel I decided to reinstall my 6 litre Rotopax cans (from my Apex) on the sides of the tunnel before the rear mounting idler wheel bracket for the top of the track thus relieving the rear of the tunnel of the weight.

Also, having a plumbed in spare fuel can would be IMO a very selfish need, would make sense if everyone in the group is doing the same but if you're in a group with sleds that are not all plumbed and all have different fuel ranges, as a team player it would be smart to burn the tanks down to the bottom before needing/using the spare fuel, that way in a group/team meeting it can be decided who needs more and who needs less to make it to the next refilling station all together at best or at the very least one gets there and returns with the fuel. A very smart man told me once that it's easier to get the gas out of the spare can than out of the tank. 

IMG_4934.thumb.JPG.9fd5bf139c8bc8a6198f1fe346b0de1a.JPG

Here we are with 12 litres on the tail and 2 x 6 litres on the sides, 24 litres on board. Now I said my tank range is between 120-140 miles so average it out to 130 miles which equates to 208 Klms. Now if ya do the math it equals out to 5.77 klms/litre x 60 litres gives the sleds range to 342 Klms or 214 miles. Absolutely more than you need to ride in Quebec trails but as I mentioned earlier adding the Rotopax cans was for an offtrail adventure, the 12 litre is plenty to get you out of trouble.

There is also available the stackable Linq gas cans at 14 litres capacity. This combination interests me for next season, 14 litre stackable gas can with luggage on top and additional luggage on the rear, of course this would only work on a Renegade chassis.

Hope this helps and good luck with what you decide on.

JG, does that mean no more of these pics!

IMG_20170212_125133089_HDR.jpg

1 hour ago, neksledr said:

JG, does that mean no more of these pics!

IMG_20170212_125133089_HDR.jpg

Ha ha ha that was too funny Terry just feet from the parking lot but yes there would be no more of that if the spare tank is plumbed in but whole point of spare fuel is to help get you and the other out of trouble.

One more comment about fuel range, yes 120 to 140 miles is enough to get from stop to stop. We still reach a point of no return however, after say 70. Should something unfortunate occur that makes you wish to turn back, you can't. You may have to drive upwards of  30 more miles in the direction you no longer wish to travel in just to fuel up then head back. That said I almost never carry extra fuel. It has come back to bite me a couple of times.

Ok Ok, you guys are making me feel like I need more fuel. Damn I got enough to do this summer. I'm undertaking this new project. So I will never have to worry. 

She's coming along nicely, just gotta put the finishing touches on it and add some stickers. 

IMG_1287.JPG.b3fb4f8bf6c556b0401f82cc96cf6aeb.JPG

I got plenty of range now. By the way price on trail is $10 per liter. Bring cash. 

Just have to buy a grommet tractor to tow it.  But you would be inside and have heat.  Mileage may be down but riding time would be great. 

On 4/16/2017 at 10:54 AM, iceman said:

Ok Ok, you guys are making me feel like I need more fuel. Damn I got enough to do this summer. I'm undertaking this new project. So I will never have to worry. 

She's coming along nicely, just gotta put the finishing touches on it and add some stickers. 

IMG_1287.JPG.b3fb4f8bf6c556b0401f82cc96cf6aeb.JPG

I got plenty of range now. By the way price on trail is $10 per liter. Bring cash. 

And if you get stranded, 1 match and stand back!!! It's like the Bat Signal with a little more impact....!

We'll all know right were you were.... 

GutZ

Or when your buddy offers to tow your 2000 gallon fuel tank out of the drifts instead of your sled, because he doesn't want to burn a belt up, that's stranded.

You know, like that.

I jest, I had a MachZ Gade with a dry wait of 625+

WOW was that heavy. But very dependable, you could depend on it smoking the motor at 2500-3000 miles.

GutZ

25 minutes ago, MrGutz said:

You know, when it's -20, -30 and your Yamaha will not start, it's like that, even with 6 guys with jump packs all trying to get you going....

LOL!

You need seven guys, works everytime. 

The spec for my 2016 1200  says it has a has a 40 litre tank/10.6 gallons.This winter I drove it to the pump and put in 37.6 litres. 

You have to burp the tank and you can put in 3-4 more litres.

• 9 months later...

This fall I did plumb my 4 gallon auxiliary tank into the system, a very easy job. I am now able to run 200 miles and eliminate the weight of that 4 gallons of gas from the rear of the sled as that fuel is used first. Cost about $20. Just tested it for our 1,100 mile loop worked flawlessly.

IMG_0447.JPG