Communication systems for Ski Doo Modular

wulsock1

I think the season is winding down and everyone is less attentive.

We use the colletts and they worked great new (5-10 years ago) but it's time for new ones. 

I would recommend them, we have the BV2S helmets and they work for those, so I would think they'd work for the modulars.

https://www.collettcommunicator.com/

Later

GutZ

Sorry, never used any communication systems.  Collett seems to make decent equipment. As a radio operator, I'm aware of issues with power/frequency/and range with radio equipment. Obviously,  you want something that doesn't quickly drain a battery source. 

http://collettcommunicator.com

Sorry Wulsock, we stiil are using some old HJCs in our Modulars. 10 years old and still working, only issue is battery life when its really cold. If you find something good post it because they cant last for ever and parts are no more.

We have had good luck with Colletts since the 90's.Our first set we had enough ordered to get our own club channel for free.The platinum 900's we are using now are 7 or so years old and the battery's last all day for us.Some of our riding days are  12-14 hours.We find them really helpful on the trails and you can get one with bluetooth so you can answer your phone while riding.If you have cell service your range is then unlimited if needed.

Edited by NSHM

we have modular helmets and have a set of collett communicators and a set of scala rider ,  both have there good and bad points. Out of the two we use the scala the most

as that suits our riding style best.

Points......              collett  range is  2 miles ,  scala range  1 mile    both are subject to the area you are using  them in. 

collett sound is very transitory ,    scala is very clear sound just as if you were stood next to each other

collett has a separate battery pack and so has a wire  coming from inside your jacket to the unit on the side of your helmet

scala unit is all compact including the battery  so it just clips into the cradle on the side of your helmet

collett is vox operated which is instant so the other person hear's it straight away .  great help when sled's are coming towards you

scala when you speak into the mike it   has around a 3 or 4 second delay before the coms open not great  when trying to warn of a obstacles

Both are bluetooth ,  we bought the scala in the uk so our's are motorcycle unit's, but in the US you can get a snowmobile version

As I've said we use the scala the most we hold full conversation's as were riding and absolutely love them. hope this is of some use .

Just also remembered  colllett has three different channels and all are open channels,  with the 1st one having gwb on it  (groomer warning  beacon)  on it so as you approach the groomer you hear a bleep  bleep in your ear

scala  is a closed channel and only the one with no gwb on it 

Edited by SnomoGary

14 hours ago, SnomoGary said:

we have modular helmets and have a set of collett communicators and a set of scala rider ,  both have there good and bad points. Out of the two we use the scala the most

as that suits our riding style best.

Points......              collett  range is  2 miles ,  scala range  1 mile    both are subject to the area you are using  them in. 

collett sound is very transitory ,    scala is very clear sound just as if you were stood next to each other

collett has a separate battery pack and so has a wire  coming from inside your jacket to the unit on the side of your helmet

scala unit is all compact including the battery  so it just clips into the cradle on the side of your helmet

collett is vox operated which is instant so the other person hear's it straight away .  great help when sled's are coming towards you

scala when you speak into the mike it   has around a 3 or 4 second delay before the coms open not great  when trying to warn of a obstacles

Both are bluetooth ,  we bought the scala in the uk so our's are motorcycle unit's, but in the US you can get a snowmobile version

As I've said we use the scala the most we hold full conversation's as were riding and absolutely love them. hope this is of some use .

Just also remembered  colllett has three different channels and all are open channels,  with the 1st one having gwb on it  (groomer warning  beacon)  on it so as you approach the groomer you hear a bleep  bleep in your ear

scala  is a closed channel and only the one with no gwb on it 

Thanks for that input Snomo 

Very interesting and helpful comparison information, from what your saying these devices have come a long way since the last time we used them back in the '90s. They were not that good back then, horrible in fact. If we were all circled at an intersection or pulling up right behind the other at a stop sign you could slip in a few words but the minute we got moving no more signal, funny.

We gave up on them quickly and today the boys I prefer to listen to the hum of the motor and all the funny noises a sled can warn you with before something catastrophic can happen.

Could be worth a second try.

4 hours ago, Trailblazer said:

...listen to the all the funny noises a sled can warn you with before something catastrophic can happen.

Uh oh!  I thought that's when you're supposed to crank up the Metalica on the ipod?!

I have used the Collett units for about 20yrs. I am on my third or fourth unit. Only had one unit fail (it was a circa 2001 unit?) and it was due to moisture getting into the unit from the microphone tube and running back into the unit. My current unit is a Platinum 900+ (Bluetooth enabled). I use Bluetooth it to listen to music and not for a cell phone. Any device that supports Bluetooth will pair and work so cell, GPS, iPod, iPhone, etc.While technology has generally advanced through the years with these - as with everything else - in my opinion they are only good for short conversations like to alert others of a hazard or approaching turn. Since they are voice activated, it takes a bit of time to adjust the unit and 'train' yourself for getting your voice to transmit. You will need to need to raise your voice and keep it at a certain level in order for others to hear you consistently. The 2 mile range is not realistic and I would say that depending on terrain and conditions, under 1 mile is about it IMO.

I have a HJC modular helmet and my riding partner has a BRP modular so I can share a couple of things. Collett makes a unit specifically for the BRP modular as Mr.Gutz said. It uses a small disk type microphone that you fit into the breath mask. This frequently freezes up in cold conditions (below about 15F) due to all the moisture in the mask. I am not sure if it is due to his breathing or the lack of being triggered from not talking but it stops working. Sometimes this means stopping briefly to thaw it but other times, he is able to make it work again on the go. The battery packs with the newer units will last for a 10+ hour day in cold conditions.

A couple more things -

• The main channel provided on every unit sold also receives the groomer warning beacon signals. Collett has provided clubs and grooming contractors with transmitters for grooming equipment that send a 'Dee DA, Dee DA'  tone but we have frequently come across groomers (QC, VT, NH) that weren't transmitting. So while it is reassuring to hear a groomer warning, it isn't 100%. Since most folks leave their units on the main channel, you will know about other riders in the vicinity but if it is too 'chatty' it is nice to have the option to switch to another channel. The other channel should be chosen and specified by everyone that you will be riding with when you order your units or you will be limited to the main channel. (see the website for more info)
  • Les Collett and his employees are great to deal with. There was an odd situation where their facility was locked down a few years ago b/c of some kind of an inventory valuation dispute with a bank(Canadian thing??) but it was straightened out over a few months.
  • IMHO, the units are a bit overpriced but if they save someone from a mishap, it is truly a small price to pay :good::good: