Tour du Gouin

Trailblazer

Well guys after several attempts to loop the Gouin from the west side and from the east side we are confident to make the final pass and branch the two to create a loop on our atvs. Wednesday morning 6 of us are departing from Saint Anne-du-Lac via atv heading west to the infamous Chemin Lepine and up to Martins for the night. From there we will continue the loop in a clockwise fashion over to Barrage Gouin passing through Obedjewan Indian reserve along with another close by.

I created a 4 day route to loop the Gouin and return to Saint Anne-du-Lac with a few contingency plans with some alternative routes. Ha ha ha....

Lets see how this pans out.

Stay tuned folks 

16 hours ago, Trailblazer said:

We are in town at the Bates Motel ready to fire those bikes up in the morning, waiting for the rest to join while passing some time with the captain.

Say "Hi" to the innkeeper's Mom, I hear she doesn't get many visitors.....

GutZ

9:20 am was our departure time after fueling up, Rabaska arrival was very quick and we were insured there would be gas waiting for us at Pensive. First off we are 6, myself, hparaptor, Neksledr and wife and a very special guest. Drum roll please......na na na BATMAN.

IMG_0852.thumb.JPG.38b6a6be2419f9ddbb47573932aa3b52.JPG

Terrry and Mollys bff from home Pete and Julie.

Day one had a couple hiccups, to start with just before Pensise we had to wait for a track or trailer to be loaded with logs, then after fueling at Pensive we ran into a bridge on ch.Lepine getting resurfaced and was not allowing traffic to cross, line ups on each side. 

We took a tailgate lunch while waiting for the boys to do there work then we were allowed to cross but not the cars and trucks waiting. Atving does have its advantages. Once across we had a nice run up to Clova, I do have to say its a lot different in the summer.

Took gas in Clova and off up to Martins via the old road so the locals call it, and they have reason, challenging in some areas with some rickety bridge crossing and growth closing in the trail making it look like we were tunnelling through the folage.

Jocelyne and Lynn at Martin greeted us with a warm welcome and Alain our server was a very interesting guy with lots of stories.

Enjoying the ride from my couch. Have Fun. 

Looking a bit dusty. #doitinthedirt. #thataintsnowdust. 

Ridin Dirty

Edited by iceman

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Trailblazer and Neksledr, I sent you a PM looking for some additional info on your trip. A group of us are going to try it on off-road motorcycles the first of Sept.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice you can give us.

Jeff

21 hours ago, Cableguy said:

Hi Trailblazer and Neksledr, I sent you a PM looking for some additional info on your trip. A group of us are going to try it on off-road motorcycles the first of Sept.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice you can give us.

Jeff

I'll get back to you shortly Jeff.

• 2 months later...

Day 2

Out of martins we head west to visit some dams and dykes, rain for the morning so we gear up. Side x side crew are good, keep those sippy cups full girls. After dykes and dams we head north to apex the loop at Obedjewan but about 20 k before the reserve we see the look out that Jocelyn told us about and it was a must to make a stop there. We find our way to the summit and a big thanks goes out to Jocelyn for that tip, what a view of the reservoir. We take our lunch up there and are treated with some of natures treats.

After fuelling up at Obedjewan we wanted to visit the inner part of the town as the gas station was on the edge of town, we were not greeted well by the locals on the way so we and bee lined it out of there. The road heading down to Barrage Gouin was a very large gravel road and was quite boring to ride on, this is where batman got to stretch his legs a little. We stopped in at an abandoned air strip and another dam to take some more sippy cup breaks. After the dam into Barrage Gouin (about 30 klms or so) my belt starts on me, tuggging'n pulling, Oh Oh time to relax the throttle and coast into Barrage Gouin before she pops on me.

Walleye dinner, a few drinks, clean out the coolers and stock 'em up for the next day.

IMG_0878.JPG

IMG_0881.JPG

IMG_0877.JPG

Day 3

We take a few souvenir shots of the dam and off we go down to Wemotachi the back way, eventually we meet up with the sled trail and ride on in for refueling and refill the coolers at their local grocery store. I have to say the reserve locals here are much more welcoming than Obedjewan. Now its down to Mario's place, Kanawata but not before visiting a few more dams on the way. We head out of town taking the short cut to Dam B where we run into the game wardens doing a road block at the intersection for Parent (the new road), they had a few stopped. Checking gaming licenses and illegal game on board I would imagine.

Snap a few shots at Dam B then off we go to Dam C when in between the two I blow a major artery, gas is spewing everywhere. After an inspection we determine the culprit, a cable chaffing on the fuel line. Terry and Pete jump in for surgery, a big thanks to these boys, they found the chaffed line, removed it and a solution for a quick fix in minutes, real field boys. With a good cleaning and a couple different kinds of tape with a very special wrapping technique it was good to go, given it was a high pressure line we weren't too sure how long the repair would last and even more so over night while the fuel would be eating at the tape, in it went and we're gonna take it as it lasts.

Off to Dam C and snap some more shots then a quick stop at the sand pit near Kanawata intersection for some play time. For some of you veteran sledders if you remember the old 345 route heading north from the 360, it would take you across Dam C then into Chateauvert then to the intersection for Casey and Kanawata, at that time Kanawata was a dead end, well at that intersection there is a huge sand pit. Lots'n lots'n fun.

Into Kanawata early enough for a quick swim and a cocktail before supper. Terry had a group of theme t-shirts made up for our trip, we all wore them that evening as a tribute to the trip. It would our last evening together. A big thanks to Terry and the folks at Mitchell Tees for their efforts, well appreciated and a terrific souvenir for the trip.  

IMG_0930.JPG

IMG_0931.JPG

IMG_0932.JPG

IMG_0934.JPG