The Challenge

MrGutz

IT IS ALIVE!!!!

No one is more surprised than me!!

First Start Up... Lots of Oil..... After it ran for 10 minutes it cleaned up and runs good so far.....

Couple leaks and adjustments.

RR-Vid1.MP4

More Testing Tonight.

GutZ

• 3 weeks later...

Quick update that almost ended it all.

So we unloaded it in Quebec and it again started right up and drove very smooth to the Sled Pen. We were hoping to put a couple of test miles on it. This did not happen so as I was putting it away until later this week. Well.... it is f..a..s..t! and it is quick fast. 

As i was bringing it around I started giving it a little gas, It felt like the valves opened and it went from 0-100, the track just spun and polished the parking lot and through the RR in to a spin\dounut. i quickly let off and the spin slowed down. Just as the ride was coming to an end the outer carbide on the Simmons ski dug into the ice and in slow motion it picked up and rolled over on to the side.

Being the Hulking figure I am, i flailed on the ground helplessly in the middle of lot trying to roll it back over, No-Hair ran over  and rolled it back upright.

It appears that no damage happened.

So hopefully a little breakin time later this week.

Later

GutZ

Hope you are having fun with this build, I have built a half a dozen sleds over the last 20 years, still own them all. built every one of them from new sleds and  painstakingly tuned them to be trail reliable. A 99 srx with 175hp and 10k Quebec trail miles with out a single break down, also built a D&D 1010 out of a 2002 zr800, 200hp torque monster that is still as fast as just about anything on the trail, Also built a Hooper 1107 3 cylinder out of a 1999 800 pantera, with jaws pipes and a 4 tower clutch,and a 136 inch snow cross track , Boss seat, etc., 235hp. Then I moved on to Yamaha and built a supercharged Vector, what an amazing ride, 200 hp, silent , very drive-able, a real sleeper, still gets 16 mpg, HAS BEEN THE MOST DEPENDABLE SLED I HAVE EVER SEEN. 10k Quebec trail miles on the original belt, oh yea, did I mention you do not want to race this sled, it is amazingly powerful, will take your breath away if you are brave enough. All this stuff is still show room and unfortunately sits around while I ride my new sled, a 2018 850 backcountry.So Gutz, I know how much fun you are having, and yes those crazy little performance things for 600 here and there, if you want to add to your collection, I would be happy to sell you some of mine, 60 years old here and moving on from tuning and racing, first half went by so fast, just want to slow down and enjoy the second half, happy motoring.

On 2/3/2018 at 4:04 AM, SnomoGary said:

Looking forward  to seeing  this beast,  please don't  brake it at least  until  we get there ... lol

See  you soon.

When do you guyz arrive? We found Mini's Passport last night, so we are Good to Go!

GutZ

22 hours ago, quebec bob said:

Hope you are having fun with this build, I have built a half a dozen sleds over the last 20 years, still own them all. built every one of them from new sleds and  painstakingly tuned them to be trail reliable. A 99 srx with 175hp and 10k Quebec trail miles with out a single break down, also built a D&D 1010 out of a 2002 zr800, 200hp torque monster that is still as fast as just about anything on the trail, Also built a Hooper 1107 3 cylinder out of a 1999 800 pantera, with jaws pipes and a 4 tower clutch,and a 136 inch snow cross track , Boss seat, etc., 235hp. Then I moved on to Yamaha and built a supercharged Vector, what an amazing ride, 200 hp, silent , very drive-able, a real sleeper, still gets 16 mpg, HAS BEEN THE MOST DEPENDABLE SLED I HAVE EVER SEEN. 10k Quebec trail miles on the original belt, oh yea, did I mention you do not want to race this sled, it is amazingly powerful, will take your breath away if you are brave enough. All this stuff is still show room and unfortunately sits around while I ride my new sled, a 2018 850 backcountry.So Gutz, I know how much fun you are having, and yes those crazy little performance things for 600 here and there, if you want to add to your collection, I would be happy to sell you some of mine, 60 years old here and moving on from tuning and racing, first half went by so fast, just want to slow down and enjoy the second half, happy motoring.

QB

I think I'm most likely not going to be building another Radical Type Machine, it's is so time consuming, I enjoy it but..... I'm getting to the point where it 's better to ride a good sled than build an Awesome One. I do like the sound of that Vector, 4-Stroke Torque!! 

Although an 850 Backcountry does not quite sound like you are slowing down. LOL

GutZ

Gutz, this is the slowest sled I have ridden in a long time, when I am out on the trail saddle bagging I really try to be a good citizen, as much as I love the power, I respect the land owners, other sledders, and all the folks who have worked so hard to give us this great sport, but I am well aware that most guys building these type of sleds have hurt us over the years. you can ride a Harley with an Izod  shirt and khaki pants and really enjoy it without breaking everyone's ear drums on main street, and you are catching on fast, it takes a great deal of time and effort to get that stuff right, and you never get the money back, I would sell any of this stuff for way less than you spent playing around building yours, I have learned my lesson, I will never tell my wife what I spent over the years!!

5 hours ago, quebec bob said:

Gutz, this is the slowest sled I have ridden in a long time, when I am out on the trail saddle bagging I really try to be a good citizen, as much as I love the power, I respect the land owners, other sledders, and all the folks who have worked so hard to give us this great sport, but I am well aware that most guys building these type of sleds have hurt us over the years. you can ride a Harley with an Izod  shirt and khaki pants and really enjoy it without breaking everyone's ear drums on main street, and you are catching on fast, it takes a great deal of time and effort to get that stuff right, and you never get the money back, I would sell any of this stuff for way less than you spent playing around building yours, I have learned my lesson, I will never tell my wife what I spent over the years!!

This has a Skidoo exhaust, It should not be an ear bleeder!.

Money Back! LOL It a 15000, 2000.00 dollar sled.

The dealer ship hs a note on my account, "DO NOT CALL THE HOUSE" it may be the last part they sell.

Later

GutZ

• 2 weeks later...

WooHoo!

We took it out and with no adjustments, it ran all day. 150 miles!

Never Burnt a Plug.

No NOS yet, maybe tomorrow.

It is loading up if it idles too long and is not crisp until about 6000 RPM.

Once it hits it starts pulling, we have not found a long enough run to get it all the way up to speed. The NOS should make it happen.

We will try some testing tomorrow.

Just an Update!

GutZ

Gutz, those rotary valve rotax twins often run jets that are totally different sizes in each carb/cylinder. If it is only loading up at idle, try lowering the needles in the carbs 1 clip, if that is too much they make a 5/10 kit, basically a bunch of nylon shims to lower the needles a half a clip. if you need any help or info just pm me and if I can help you out I will, happy trails, Bob.

7 minutes ago, quebec bob said:

Gutz, those rotary valve rotax twins often run jets that are totally different sizes in each carb/cylinder. If it is only loading up at idle, try lowering the needles in the carbs 1 clip, if that is too much they make a 5/10 kit, basically a bunch of nylon shims to lower the needles a half a clip. if you need any help or info just pm me and if I can help you out I will, happy trails, Bob.

Thanks!

GutZ

End of Testing Session Update:

We took the RR out today up on to 93 in the potato fields, after connecting the NOS...

Good News and Bad News

Good News, the RR is 1 second slower than the recorded 850 in the 1/2 mile standing start run!

Bad News, The air box is too small to move enough air above the 3/4 throttle mark never mind support the NOS Injection.

Now once I figure out the AirBox Flow Issues..... Hold On! 

GutZ

• 3 months later...

Spring Testing..... You use what ever snow you can find.

With the info from the Potato Field in Quebec, the air flow is less than sufficient to bull maximum RPMs or support the NOS. I installed POD Filters on the Carbs and we did a little more testing. This reveled that we were not climbing all the way up the Clutch. I'm working on a customized airbox.

Here's a quick look at our last test session.... I hope it loads!!

IMG_2589.MOV

GutZ 

Lol......   it downloaded ok but all I can see is a black dot moving  down the trail,  has the camera  got a zoom?  Or can you stand closer .... lol 😁😁

Mind you I can hear him ok ,  just like the people in the next state.  😂😂😂😂😂

Keep up the  R n D.... work..