Woodrunner loop

Blueblood

Hi first time posting. Looking to do a saddlebag trip around the Woodrunner loop.  The big loop.  I am from Central NY looking for a southern starting point on this loop then suggestions for subsequent nights.  Have rode a lot in Quebec last two years and have the desire to ride here as much as possible  now.  Thanks for any info.

Looks like Comfort Inn in Mont Laurier would work to start our trip.  It's the closest to us on the south side.  Looking for about two hundred miles a day. We have rode around Riviere du loup and can do two hundred a day there no problem, but are not sure that the trails will be that fast running that far north. We've ridden from St Zenon to Repo. Is it that kind of riding? 

You should be able to do 200 no problem. St Zenon to Lac Repo's, lol. I guess most start their QC careers in that area. It's all good riding. Much bigger the further west. 

Woodrunner system is excellent.  Loads of options for places to stay and easy to venture out of their network to anywhere you want to go.  AT least a dozen outfitters mostly within the Woodrunner system that are very, very good.  Make reservations early, that area is quite popular..........

Edited by markusvt

Welcome,  I typically start in Maniwaki and venture through the Woodrunner system on my saddlebag trips. Less vehicle time and a nice starting point. I usually arrrive in Maniwaki around noon and ride north for 100-150 mi to an outfitter for the first night.

I'm also from CNY and we always stay in Maniwaki at Draveur.  No problems with leaving vehicles there for 5-6 days.

I've been riding in Quebec for years and didn't know that area was called the "woodrunner trail".  Have ridden most of those trails too!!  Personally I would call the trail to Chibigamou the "big loop".

The trails are all good.  I like the remoteness of the area.

doonali, how is Chateau Logue?  We had to get our permits there last year as Draveur was out and it looked pretty nice.

16 hours ago, Sled Dog said:

I'm also from CNY and we always stay in Maniwaki at Draveur.  No problems with leaving vehicles there for 5-6 days.

I've been riding in Quebec for years and didn't know that area was called the "woodrunner trail".  Have ridden most of those trails too!!  Personally I would call the trail to Chibigamou the "big loop".

The trails are all good.  I like the remoteness of the area.

doonali, how is Chateau Logue?  We had to get our permits there last year as Draveur was out and it looked pretty nice.

Pretty much apples to apples IMO. I prefer Draver since I've became friends with some of the staff. (Bartenders) 😊. And also a full breakfast is included with lodging.

The wood runner trail system is actually north of Maniwaki.

Edited by doonali

If you have newer sleds no problem. Or maybe stay away from the northern most loop, Or stay closer to the populated areas until she get more nerve. Or no I won't say that. lol

17 hours ago, Blueblood said:

My girlfriend and I were wondering if we should buy a sat phone for these remote areas?  What do you guys think and if you have one what kind do you use?

If you want complete "piece of mind" rent a Sat Phone. The girl will be happy, and then you can be happy. Less stress. 

Iridium is the one you want. 

Many places you can rent for a week or two. They fed-ex it to you then you send it back when you return from trip. 

If you do rent be sure to always place a test call with it just to verify all is correct before you leave your drop in point(first hotel). 

2 hours ago, Blueblood said:

Thanks Iceman I'm looking into that now.  The cost of buying one for a couple weeks a year was kind of scary.

Some info on phine rentals here....

I know there are activation fees and separate plans, but the device does not look too bad used.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Iridium-9505-Satellite-Sat-Phone-Bundle-in-Pelican-Hard-Case-Many-Accessories-/302430953676?hash=item466a4a20cc:g:x4oAAOSwnVVZpEEB

Plan

http://www.roadpost.com/Iridium-Satellite-Phone-Monthly-Plans-and-Airtime-P705C280.aspx#gsc.tab=0

Suggestions, I have no experience with either device or plan.

Later

GutZ

Edited by MrGutz