Casey comes Alive this weekend.

iceman

Interesting event.

http://www.lhebdodustmaurice.com/actualites/societe/2017/8/28/la-piste-de-casey-revit.html

Google translation not perfect.

What was initially an informal friendly meeting, launched by a resident of Beloeil on the Pilotes Québec forum, has today become an important happening that will bring together a hundred pilots in Haute-Mauricie during the great weekend of the Job.

From 1 to 4 September, dozens of aviation buffs from Quebec and Ontario will be on the Casey airstrip, located about 150 kilometers from La Tuque.

Rendez-vous Aérien (RVA) Camping Casey began in 2013 when nine pilots had made an appointment at this former military airfield built in 1953 by the Canadian government during the Cold War period with the USSR.

Bad weather in 2014 had disrupted the event but the following year, 44 aircraft had landed on the concrete runway, more than 8,000 feet long. In 2016, RVA Camping Casey really exploded with the presence of 91 planes, 9 seaplanes, 2 twin-engined and 4 helicopters.

The track of Casey revit
Several participants bring their camping equipment to spend the weekend.
(Photo courtesy Pierre Nadon)
Given such a success, the organizers anticipate just as much this year, if not more. Participants in 2016 included Switzerland's Bernd Van Doornick (24,000 flying hours in helicopter) and comedian Gaston Lepage. An Antonov An-2, the biggest single-engine biplane in the world, was one of the planes listed. This year, Van Doornick will be back as well as two retired bush pilots who will surely have good stories to tell.

Autonomous and responsible

On the spot, participants set up their tent; placing around a campfire (if the flammability index allows); make picnics; visit the remains of the former encampments - destroyed in 1964 and 1965; and some will even soak their toes in the Ribbon River that passes close to the track. During the day on Saturday, a marquee is erected where hot dogs and corn are served.

As this appointment remains informal despite its growing popularity, there is no service on the premises: no toilets, drinking water, garbage cans, chairs, picnic tables, first responders, ambulances, security services, etc. In this context, each participant must be autonomous and responsible because no organization is in authority.

Little known to Quebeckers because it has been abandoned for half a century, this military track evokes a famous episode going back 25 years. On the eve of Colombia, pilot Raymond Boulanger landed on November 18, 1992 at Casey in a Convair 580 with 4000 kg of cocaine on board. Chased by two F-18s of the Canadian Armed Forces, he had succeeded in sowing them, but when he arrived in Haute-Mauricie where his accomplices were to be found, it was rather RCMP officers waiting for him. His story was the subject of a book published in 2013 and titled Raymond Boulanger, the mercenary pilot.

Having completed his sentence in 2013, Raymond Boulanger obtained permission two years later to fly again. The story does not say however whether the man will return to the scene of the crime this weekend at Casey ...

Rediscover Casey

To know more about the short-lived Military Airfield of Casey, read the chapter that the Latvian Gaston Hamel dedicated to him in the book of the centenary of La Tuque published in 2011 by the Historical Society of Haut-Saint-Maurice. Another Latvian, Yvan Savignac, located Casey intrigues his novel The track MAUDITE, also published in 2011. In June 1973, a 120,000 pound airplane responsible for spreading insecticides crashed there. The crash had occurred at 200 meters altitude, just 60 seconds after take-off.

Finally, it is essential to visit the website of Pierre Nadon which contains the majority of the information taken from this article on the rally of pilots of plane to Casey. The site campingmaster.weebly.com/rva-camping-casey contains hundreds of photos, hyperlinks and information about the former aerodrome. A must.

As Pierre Nadon writes on his site: The abandoned track of Casey is not so far away, it's just that the convenience stores are far ...

8 minutes ago, 182ray said:

I'll have to mark my calendar for this next year. Of course I'll have to bring a translator...females need only to apply...lol

Thought of you right off when I first read this. 

With that many Pilots there, surely some anglais spoken there. I have no doubt. 

2 hours ago, 182ray said:

One can never be too careful...I'll continue to accept resumes from females that can speak both languages

The Flag Girl we hired for the races!!!

Although it may be better if she doesn't speak either language! LOL

GutZ

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 9/1/2017 at 7:29 AM, 182ray said:

One can never be too careful...I'll continue to accept resumes from females that can speak both languages

I will happily identify as a female that weekend!😜