Irma in the USVI

iceman

Been really worrying about this Cat 5 beast as I have my Sister on STX (st croix) and many friends. I toyed with the Idea of flying down there last week to help her prepare. I was talked out of it by my other sister here in NY. Saying if need be I go after to help pick up the pieces. 

After much debate and stress yesterday on a 3 way call with my sister Diane on island Myself and sister Karen in NY, Pleaded with here to evacuate from high up on the hill where she lives. (winds are much worse the higher the elevation) she was offered a place in a concrete bunker where she could ride it out with her dogs. I been there for a Cat 3 and if this Cat 5 came directly calling, well,trust me its a problem. 

Anyway thankfully last night Irma finally began tracking west northwest instead of due west. That move spared a direct hit from STX however, the Other islands to the north including St Thomas and St John as well as Tortola in the British Virgin Islands and Saint Martin bore the full brunt of this monster, not a good day in the Caribbean. The people are resilient and will rebuild. Hoping no lives were taken. 

There is still a curfew in effect on the USVI and no one is allowed out under threat of arrest. No word from my sister directly yet as cell towers are overwhelmed. Got a FB message from others in the same Complex where she is that all is well. Waiting to talk to her in person. Will be until tmmrw at least before she can get out and up to check on the house.  It's just a house we can rebuild that. 

For you FB people here is video from ST Thomas, i believe from the Ritz Carlton resort. Very powerful footage. 

Now that's something I would want to experience, not that I would be disrespectful to those who will suffer through this just love to experience it.

BTW how the hell did you upload an 8 minute video on this god forsaken website with a 1.44 Mb upload limit????

What kind've magician are you????

3 minutes ago, Trailblazer said:

BTW how the hell did you upload an 8 minute video on this god forsaken website with a 1.44 Mb upload limit????

What kind've magician are you????

I just copied the link from FB and posted it. I have no issues with posting from I-pad to this site ever. 

Maybe a North Korean hacker has compromised your photo and video posting or my god I hope it wasn't the Russians. lol.

seriously though is strange for sure how much misery the site gives you to upload stuff I don't get it. 

Thanks for all the support people...just got a call from her. Seems STX got very lucky this time with the turn to the northwest. 

Diane update: She's still in the bunker with the dogs. There is a curfew on the island until 6PM. (Hopefully that will be lifted earlier). Power is out and powerlines/poles are down around the island. She will try to get back up to her house when curfew is lifted. It is so good to hear her voice and I am so very thankful as I see the videos and photos of the destruction caused by Irma.

Sending prayers to those directly in the path of Irma and saddened to see what Irma did to St. Martin, St. Thomas, etc. Hoping family and friends in Florida and beyond heed the warnings and stay safe as Irma heads that way. 

Look around today, take a moment or two and BE THANKFUL for the life you have and the roof over your head; so many people no longer do.

43 minutes ago, MrGutz said:

Any New News?

GutZ

Sorry, Did not have a chance to update. 

Curfew lifted on St Croix yesterday morning sometime. She was able to return to her house. Had to detour while driving home, road closed, as the US Navy was helicoptering in patients being transferred to the hospital on St. Croix an they were using a large parking lot as a landing zone.

no structural damage for her at home. The usual broken limbs and leaves snd brush. Still no power but should be back soon on all of STX. Very very lucky as STX was spared the sustained hurricane force winds. 

Not so lucky on the nearby Islands as seen on TV. 

4 dead on St Thomas. The Hospital and a fire station destroyed along with widespread property destruction and boats and cars tossed like toys. 

Gonna be months without power on St Thomas and St John and years before they fully rebuild. 

St. John just 40'ish miles northeast of my Sister on St. Croix. 
St. Thomas is in the same state trying to find video of there. 

Edited by iceman

Here we go again. This one is Maria and making a run directly at STX. Due in overnight Tuesday into Wednesday. So far is to pass just south of the Island as a Cat 3 or 4. Worst case scenario as northeast quadrant is most destructive. My sister lives on the south shore. Back to the bunker for her. I will keep an eye on this one.

IMG_1439.thumb.PNG.42f60350ddc8f50747f242084faef27e.PNG

Not Good 

Hurricane Maria gaining strength and slowing forward movement to 9mph. Forecast to be a Cat 4 maybe a Cat 5 and pass just south of St. Croix. Conditions deteriorate around 2pm tmmrw lasting through the overnight with strongest winds around 4am. Trust me much scarier in the darkness. Curfew in place starts 10am tmmrw. My Sister Diane and the dogs are headed back to the fortified bunker. No riding this one out on the mountain. 

Will advise further.

Edited by iceman

She is SAFE. The shelter held up. Got no news other than the lanscspe is decimated. They are still under curfew so will be a while till she can go see if she still has a house.

Thanks Everone. 

Will update when I know more

Edited by iceman

Island is smashed up bad. If you've seen the Islands from Irma it looks just as bad. Almost every telephone pole is down, no leaves on any vegetation that is still standing. Roofs tossed about like playing cards. Gonna be a long road back. But the Island People are Strong. #VIstrong

no word on my sisters house. Is Concrete structure but the roof is my main concern being up on the mountain winds are much stronger higher you go up. We shall see.

Edited by iceman

24hr curfew to be lifted today from 10am-4pm so people can try to get to relief centers for MRE's, water, and tarps for roofs.

my sister is still with friends at their compound no road access yet back to check on her house. 

Edited by iceman