Irma in the USVI

iceman

Some good news.

My sister Donna was finally able to reach Diane on St. Croix:  She is going home now ..lots of wires and trees down. Has food and dog food for days. Back window of her bedroom blew in, and door of guest house blew in, Gates are gone, all trees are gone but house is still standing.

they are saying no power for probably one year. Ponder that.

• 1 month later...

Update.....

Day 40 after Maria on St Croix. 

90% of Island still powerless. Generators are like gold. Crews have arrives from the states and have begun the rebuilding of primary circuits. Crews from New York and Missouri on STX probably other states too along with their trucks. 

They are still saying 90% restoration of power by Christmas. Personally I think that will never happen that fast. But we shall see. 

Just let that sink in a bit. 

No power for the last 40 days, you might have it in another 60 days. But don’t hold your breath. 

Ah Paradise.

generator theft has been a big issue. 

A couple local musicians did a remake of a classic, check it out..

Well like everyone does, the people that live down south have a choice of where they live.  People tell us we are crazy for living up in the north east because of the terrible ice and snow storms, etc... but the southern states have big risks of major storms that can wipe out their life savings (or their lives), so they have to weigh the risks vs. reward to live close to the ocean and beaches.  It's very unfortunate and I hate to see it, but it is their choice.

Right on Trigger

I always said when I lived there and people would say “wow what’s it like?”

I always said “364 days a year it’s usually fine but there’s the chance on that odd day in the right year you could loose the house and everything you got to a Hurricane”

Chance you take. 

California Earthquakes and wildfires

midwest/south east Tornadoes

south east and carribean hurricanes

north east  snow and ice 

pick your poison 

• 1 month later...

75 days after, still no power for my sister(except the generator) try to imagine no power, no TV, no internet 75 days and counting......

http://www.cnn.com/2017/12/03/us/us-virgin-islands-maria-recovery-trnd/index.html

Glad to hear your family survived the storm better than most.  She would rather fare the generator for few more months than come spend the frigid winter with bro?...

When we have really big storms here and power goes out, there is a major baby boom 9 months later...  Not sure whats going to happen there, Just sayin theres plenty to DO when theres no power, TV or internet ; )  

6 minutes ago, Teet F8SP said:

She would rather fare the generator for few more months than come spend the frigid winter with bro?...

She can’t survive in temps below 70F she been there too long. Would freeze to death up here in one day. 

In 1998 we had an ice storm come through northern NY in the middle of January. I remember it like it was yesterday. One of the more scary things I have been through. I was in my dad's house for the winter as he had gone to NC. I ran a generator for 31 days. Being only 23 years old it wasn't a big deal for me to maintane. But I spent a lot of time helping older folks through out the area to keep their generators going. Along with heaters,wood stoves,frozen pipes..... That seemed like a never ending task. I can not imagine what these people in the Virgin Islands have to be going through. 

14 minutes ago, wulsock1 said:

That seemed like a never ending task. I can not imagine what these people in the Virgin Islands have to be going through. 

Well no danger of freezing pipes but is surely not comfortable trying to sleep with the heat and no fan or A/C and not to mention mosquitoes and most homes have a cistern and pump so no generator means no running water to flush toilets or to just get clean. Plus those in the tourism industry are hurting bad with many hotels and resorts closed from damage and many many out of work. No $$$$$ coming in.