New Garmin 276cx Problems

Andyman

Basically the first time I tried this new 276cx and I entered a direct route to a waypoint I discovered 2 problems. First it can not calculate an accurate ETA if I am more than a few KM from the waypoint. Example at a distance of 30 miles or 50 km the ETA was off by 2 hours!!!Second issue when I enter a direct route it creates a magenta route directly to the waypoint as expected however as soon as I start to move it creates a second route line or a bearing line to the waypoint as expected. With my Montana610 or 276c there is only one line from your cursor to the waypoint and not this line from my position when I created the direct to route.

I have tried both Marine and Automotive modes with the direct routing with the same results. It works perfect when I autoroute via roads or snowmobile trails. The weird thing is the unit knows the time my speed and location but it can not calculate the ETA correctly on a direct route longer than a few km. In fact if I put in Balbuzard it won't even try to get an ETA! Any ideas????

Andy

1980-01-01 00.00.30.jpg

Hi Andy,

I will try tomorrow to see if it happens with mine. I have only used it with mapped out trips last season. It showed only one line.

I noticed after a days trip it was showing more mileage than my 276c. I found that it was showing up to 2 MPH while we were stopped (eg Lunch, Gas and in the hotel).

Hopefully there is a firmware update to fix it. 

Hi GT rider and Mark.

I have the latest software 3.5. I have been doing some research and there are a lot of complaints about the 276cx the majority of them are not of any concern to me. I normally use my GPS in marine mode and route direct from my present position to the next way point. In the marine mode it disregards all roads trails etc and acts like you are on the water of course! LOL I find that after riding for awhile the ETA will be fairly accurate and of course the distance to the next point is off but the bearing line from my present position to the next point is spot on and it helps to visualize my location. If they don't come up with a fix by sled season I will simply use both my Montana and my 276cx. I will use the Montana for the ETA and navigate with the 276cx.

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

That seems to be the logical temp-fix Andy.  Navigating with the 276 is usually pretty predictable, but that "double line bs" is really aggravating.  (And I was using the latest software update available at the time).

Hi Mark and Tim

I have been in  the habit of not using the trails and just routing direct because there are so many errors in the trails and I know my way points are correct. But the bottom line is they need to fix the soft ware. Seriously a 4 hour error on a 100 mile trip!!!! 

Andy

The GPS gets its ETA based on the roads/trails selected for the route.  It then has an estimated speed for each trail segment based on 2 things.  

1 being the type of trail, (each gets a different estimated speed).  Orange, green, blue and such.  For roads it is dirt, primary, secondary, interstate and speed limits when available.

2nd is the type of vehicle selected.  Moped, ATV, bike.  Then using these 2 bits of information it can calculate an ETA.  I am not sure how direct routing can give an estimate that has any value until you are very close to your final destination.  It would not know overall miles or the intended route.

Hi Mark

The way I understand the marine mode is that it uses the distance in a straight line to destination or next way point as selected and it uses your current speed or ground speed as in an airplane and calculates an estimate using these values . I know that my Montana works perfectly in marine mode and although the estimate will change slightly as you ride due to the turns and routing of the trails adding to the distance from the straight line value.