Sickness

800steve

30 minutes ago, markusvt said:

I had a old TNT292 in High School.  It smelled like raw fuel, exhaust, oil, shredded scarf, skinned knuckles, mice and mold.  :rofl:

I miss those smells.

Sounds like the back corner of my garage.

39 years in the sport.  Some whenew I was so young I don't remember.   I will give up all other hobbies to fund my disease for this one.  And now it includes longer trips to QC.  Once u go it's just part of the sickness. 

53 years of continually being an addict. Started when my father bought me a new 1965 SkiDoo Olympique.

The sport has done a great job of keeping me in the poor house. I have only owned Cat, Polaris and SkiDoo over the years, the only three still fully in the sled business.

mike

Great pictures Andy!

Being nostalgic for a minute, if I may, I remember how it seemed every small gas station was selling snowmobiles.  And back then the middle class could easily afford them and everyone had one or two behind the house. Most of the early people I rode with were adults and I was just a kid. Very sad they have all passed on and the sport has shrunk in sled sales and enthusiasts. There were organized races everywhere. My parents went away for a weekend, I stole my father's milk truck, loaded on a sled, lied about my age and entered a race. How it took several weekends of exploring to find a route from Eustis to Jackman (Maine), 50 air miles of wilderness. And once found, it was a two day round trip over and back. Now I can leave Eustis and arrive in Jackman still in time for breakfast. I remember Kern's Inn, 1972, organizing a 'safari' ride from Eustis to Lac Megantic, Quebec. Hundreds of sleds showed up for the two day round trip. And I to this day remember in 1972 thinking my 440 Cheetah was the fastest sled on earth, and a SnoJet blew by me on a lake. Maybe it was Andyman!!!

mike

remember in 1972 thinking my 440 Cheetah was the fastest sled on earth, and a SnoJet blew by me on a lake. Maybe it was Andyman!!!

Hi mike ,sounds like the first line of a Springsteen song ...... lol

No safety devices back then either, had a 69 Polaris Mustang that you had to hold wide open to start, well one time it started and went full throttle right into a tree. Also a 71 440 Rupp Nitro, same deal except this one hit a barn and I had an audience that thought it was hilarious. What a feeling watching your sled go across the field and not being able to do anything about it.

31 minutes ago, deweydog said:

800Steve, your wife was right when she said you are nuts, and the only memory of sound and smell is you and your 2 brothers snoring and farting in the hotels when I ride with you in Quebec !!   

Dont you have a job?

On 9/24/2017 at 7:54 PM, 800steve said:

Caribou, and you could call it Moose Whiz, but it does warm you up.

Thought you were referring to Moose Drool.  

http://bigskybrew.com/beers/moose-drool/

This thread brings back some good memories.  Too bad my trail riding experience began 14 years ago.  Thanks.  

Edited by hparaptor

1 hour ago, deweydog said:

800Steve, your wife was right when she said you are nuts, and the only memory of sound and smell is you and your 2 brothers snoring and farting in the hotels when I ride with you in Quebec !!   

That sounds like traveling with my brothers!

GutZ