is the trail network in jeopardy??

Mid Range

Luc Blanchette

Member for Rouyn-Noranda–Témiscamingue
Quebec Liberal Party
Minister of Forests, Wildlife and Parks
Minister responsible for the Abitibi-Témiscamingue region
Minister responsible for the Nord-du-Québec region

Hard to believe a minister from this area in Western Quebec would consider something that would negatively effect snowmobiling.  Snowmobiling produces an economic impact of over $2.5 Billion per year in Quebec.  I did not see a email address to send a letter, perhaps someone else can find one.

I know the president of the Temiscaming club. We buy our trail passes from them. He should know what is going on. I will email him tonight and post his responce.

Heard back from Alain. He said the Minister, exact words, that he cut the money for all bridges and other extras for the clubs in Abitibi, but we are fighting it and it does look promising right now. Hopefully they have started to get it under control. 

On 2017-10-18 at 7:28 PM, Shore1066 said:

Writing to a politician is a great idea and I would do that. If someone could post names to write to would help the American riders. We have the same problem here in the Adirondacks and this is the reason I love Quebec so much plus the trails are the best. I just don't want to write a letter and have it sit on the wrong desk.

Only my thoughts. Possibly write a letter with all the American Quebec Riders signatures on it. Strength in numbers.

Makes no diff, writing to a politician is like writing to a go ghost, they are not there for you!!  Point final!

Make sure you write your letters in French. 

Unfortunately Trailblazer is correct. This situation is way out of our control. Nothing we can do but wait and see. 

On 10/20/2017 at 6:28 PM, 800steve said:

Do these folks not know how much money is spent by snowmobilers every winter? Maybe they dont really know, I know my wife doesnt know.

The Skidoo Dealer Knows NOT to call when parts come in. Or it may be the last ones they sell me!

GutZ

On ‎2017‎/‎10‎/‎15 at 8:15 PM, Mid Range said:

another great article about how well the world of snowmobile is doing in Québec.

http://www.journaldemontreal.com/2017/10/14/le-gouvernement-menace-la-survie-de-plusieurs-clubs

Looks like they solved this issue....... for the time being.

http://ici.radio-canada.ca/nouvelle/1063227/soulagement-pour-les-clubs-de-motoneigistes

The transfer of responsibility for access to logging roads between the Department of Natural Resources and the Department of Forests, Wildlife and Parks has given snowmobile clubs cold sweat this fall. The clubs feared for a few weeks for the survival and that of the network of trails in Quebec.

A text by Joane Bérubé

An imbroglio administrative ended in a meeting on Tuesday morning between the Federation of snowmobile clubs and Minister Luc Blanchette, responsible for Forests, Wildlife and Parks.

Newly responsible for forest roads, the Ministry of Forests, Wildlife and Parks (MFFP) considered, according to its regulations, that these were multipurpose paths, so without restriction on their access, much to the chagrin of the clubs of snowmobilers who maintained and marked them.

It became impossible for clubs to charge access now open to all vehicles, ATVs or cars.

Without income or exclusivity, the clubs found themselves unable to continue the maintenance, including surfacing, of these trails.

The situation was likely to create disruptions in the network and disrupt access to several cottages or private homes by snowmobile.

Discussions had been taking place since September between the Federation of Snowmobile Clubs and the MFFP. Quebec will see to it that the situation does not happen again.

"There will be a discussion table, for the future, to harmonize everything and that for users, it is the safest possible," says the president of the Federation of snowmobile clubs, Mario Gagnon.

Release of the Official Opposition

The problem was denounced by the official opposition at a press conference by Bonaventure MPs Sylvain Roy, René-Lévesque, Martin Ouellet and Jonquière, Sylvain Gaudreault, on Tuesday. The members asked Minister Blanchette to renew the agreements in the same way as before.

"We are attractive in Quebec because we have a quality network that corresponds to international expectations," said Sylvain Roy, who considered that the problem opened the door to a disintegration of the network.

According to the Quebec Federation of Snowmobile Clubs, the industry generates economic spinoffs estimated at $ 3.27 billion annually.

5 minutes ago, Gullyrider said:

Mid Range, if that's your translation of the article, Bravo!  It's very lucid and corresponds exactly to what I read in French.

It's not my translation. I just dropped the article into Google translator. I know sometimes it might look weird.

• Looks like I arrived in time...you fella's have it all sorted? Good work! I will get my permits soon and look forward to riding the snow! 

DSC_4767.JPG

DSC_4764.JPG

• 2 weeks later...