Big White Tour

Kbar

20 hours ago, wulsock1 said:

You may want to check on the trail coming into Temiscaming from North Bay. If I remember right the last few years it has not been groomed much if at all.

That's good to know.  I may just cross over in New Liskeard, Ontario then.  

Iceman did you ever ride the trail from La Sarre to Matagami. David and I did it years ago, maybe 2008 or 9 . The trail had lots of sticks growing up thru it. Any way we always think of the guy in the truck stop out of La Sarre looking at us like where are you going. All we seen was wolf tracks and a few moose tracks. At that time being on a trail with 100 miles to the next gas stop was unnerving for us anyway. Oh yea. never seen another sled track all the way either. But it was a adventure.

KBAR

I have done this twice crossing into Quebec from North bay the trail is rough when you get close to Temiscaming you come down a big hill not groomed drops you right in front of a big bridge that is bare and you have to cross.

From New Liskeard it is a lot easier to get into Quebec from there they have 2 different trails one from the lake,and the other takes you up the river

Zrtkat

10 hours ago, Shore1066 said:

Iceman did you ever ride the trail from La Sarre to Matagami. David and I did it years ago, maybe 2008 or 9 . The trail had lots of sticks growing up thru it. Any way we always think of the guy in the truck stop out of La Sarre looking at us like where are you going. All we seen was wolf tracks and a few moose tracks. At that time being on a trail with 100 miles to the next gas stop was unnerving for us anyway. Oh yea. never seen another sled track all the way either. But it was a adventure.

Did a loop last season from Val-d'Or up the east side of 396 through Matagami back down the west to Amos the trail was mint/FAST! with the exception of 15-20mi on 396 north of Amos where the trail runs a power line and they were replacing poles.

12 hours ago, Shore1066 said:

Yes, that was the old 396, we rode that from Matagami to La Sarre and yes it had all sticks coming up through and this was before any GPS so we were questioning if we were even on a trail for quite a while. Then we got to a logging camp and talked to a guy working there and bought gas there, only then we really knew we were on the right trail. We saw no other sleds either. 

On 11/17/2017 at 8:24 PM, Shore1066 said:

Rode that trail already and actually got some good pics of a wolf that was running down the trail and wouldn't get off. Posted them on here at the time but not sure what I ever did with them pics

The highlight of the trip for us was we were ride down the trial and David started pointing and jumping . He stopped and ran back by me and pulled a moose horn out of the snow. Still got it. Had a lot of fun showing to everyone.  Lol

• 2 weeks later...

Is there fuel between Mattagami and Amos?  My second day is going to be from Rouyn-Noranda to Matagami. 

I cant see fuel on the map north of Amos and distance looks to be around 200kms. 

I don’t want to bring fuel with me unless I would absolutely need to. 

1 hour ago, Kbar said:

The Amos club advised that the only place for fuel between Amos and Matagami is in St. Felix de Delquier which leaves 193km's with no fuel.

For sure is gas in St Dominique du Rosaire, not sure why they telling you no. Is there with the little restaurant/casse croute. 

11 hours ago, Kbar said:

What about fuel between Val D'or and Ville Marie taking trail 309?

You should have gas in Laforce. Marché Devlin. It is a convenience store. You should have gas also at Rapide-Sept.

magasindevlin_ws1035224760.jpg

Edited by Mid Range

2 hours ago, wulsock1 said:

From Val-dor you shouldn't have a problem to make it to Belletere to get gas if none in Rapids-Sept or the store in the picture on the previous post by Mid Range. BTW the 309 trail is pretty special!!

Last time I was there, race track spectacular.

On 12/4/2017 at 1:22 PM, Kbar said:

I don’t want to bring fuel with me unless I would absolutely need to. 

When saddlebagging, brining gas is a necessity in my opinion.

Regardless of how much you plan your gas stops you may need it.

i.e. Heavy fresh snow kills mpg,  towing a breakdown (minimal mpg),  wrong turn, reroute cuz of forestry etc

expect the unexpected

4 hours ago, Scranton1 said:

When saddlebagging, brining gas is a necessity in my opinion.

Regardless of how much you plan your gas stops you may need it.

i.e. Heavy fresh snow kills mpg,  towing a breakdown (minimal mpg),  wrong turn, reroute cuz of forestry etc

expect the unexpected

Bingo

23 hours ago, Mid Range said:

Kbar and others......this might be a good tool. A-T is now offering an application for trip planning you can download on your cell.

http://www.abitibi-temiscamingue-tourism.org/snowmobile/plan-your-snowmobile-trip/

I tried it but it won’t work on my iPhone or iPad. The app will not allow me to zoom in so it shows me half the province.